Honey is an Excellent Home Remedy for Acid Reflux
Had a family function or a friend's party? Celebrations, functions or festivals are times which scope you for having some delicious, spicy and heavy meals; and with all these you make room for one of the terrible conditions of oesophagus known as acid reflux or heart burn. Bad food choices or skipping of meals are known to cause acid reflux in our body. There are various medicines available for treating the condition; however those who avoid taking enough of medicinal treatments would always go for some natural home remedies. Honey is known as one of the best home remedies for healing the oesophagus and reducing the troublesome symptoms of acid reflux. Its rich vitamin, mineral, enzymes and amino acid contents make it one of the wonder in the health food world. Since ages, raw honey is used to reduce inflammation by fighting against bacteria. In this current article we will talk about how beneficial honey can be for reducing as well as preventing the symptoms of acid reflux or heart burn.
An Overview on Acid Reflux:
Acid reflux is also known as "heartburn" and is caused when the lower esophageal muscle or the esophageal sphincter does not close the way it actually should after we eat or drink. As a result, the contents of our stomach, which are an acidic mixture; flow back up into the easophagus or the food pipe. These stomach acids in esophagus causes a burning sensation in chest, throat and also leaves sour taste at the backside of the throat.
Eating too much of food or taking wrong foods like oily or spicy foods, or immediately laying down after eating heavy foods, and also certain medications causes heartburn or acid reflux. There are also various other factors that may lead to acid reflux which include overweight, pregnancy in women, excessive smoking etc.
Various other symptoms of acid reflux or heart burn include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sore throat
- Difficulty swallowing
- Extra saliva
- Frequent hiccups
- Burping and gas.
Honey is an Excellent Home Remedy for Acid Reflux:
Honey has been treated as an excellent medicinal substance since many years. Honey can be sold raw, or unprocessed, or it can be processed and sold. Honey is primarily sugar in its processed as well as the unprocessed way. One tablespoon of honey (21 grams) contains 17.25 grams of sugar and 3.5 grams of water and a tiny bit of protein together.
Honey is believed to be an excellent home remedy for acid reflux or heartburn. One theory tells the viscosity of honey helps in coating the easophagus and aids in reducing the burning effects of the stomach acids. However, some believe it to be a myth because honey being mostly sugar can promote acid production
How to Take Honey for Treating Acid Reflux?
If you want to try the wonder of honey in heartburn, then try out the raw unpasteurized honey. You can take one teaspoon of honey before each meal and before bed. In the following array, we will talk about some of the other ways you can use honey for acid reflux.
Make sure you are avoiding honey in case you have diabetes or high sugar levels in your blood. Note it down, not to give honey to an infant as some honey contain botulism which may not affect the adults but may cause serious infections in the newborns as they have an immature immune system.
Various ways Honey can be used to Treat Acid Reflux:
Below are some of the noted ways you can use honey for treating acid reflux or heartburn.
- One or two teaspoon of honey can be taken raw.
- Honey can also be taken as a hot water tea, where you can add a spoon of honey in warm water and enjoy the honey tea.
- Honey can also be taken with vinegar. Honey and vinegar remedy is pretty popular since many years. Honey and cider vinegar drink can ease the burning sensation and soothe the condition in acid reflux. D.C Jarvis explains that cider vinegar helps in fighting against the bacteria infecting the digestive tract and honey is known to strengthen the power of vinegar and thus this honey and cider vinegar drink can be pretty effective in treating acid reflux. However there are various other theories and explanations which disagree with the fact of honey and vinegar drink being effective in treating heartburn or acid reflux.
- Honey and a couple of shakes of cinnamon can be taken for soothing the condition in heartburn.
- You can even trying 1-2 spoons of honey in one cup of yogurt and mix them well. Both yogurt and honey have properties that can help with indigestion, acid reflux and heart burn.
Honey is a Preventive Food for Acid Reflux:
If you have had a late dinner and you are about to hit the bed without giving much time to your body to digest the food, then try taking 2 table spoon of honey as that will aid faster digestion and prevent acid reflux or heart burn.
Taking Honey before your dinner is still a better option to prevent acid reflux or heart burn but nevertheless if you did not take honey before your later dinner then try having it after, it will help, but it is still better to avoid late dinner or a very heavy dinner to prevent acid reflux or heart burn.
A Final Note:
Honey is known to be a fair natural home remedy for acid reflux or heart burn. Though, it may relieve the symptoms of acid reflux or heart burn, however it might not do anything for eradicating the underlying causes of the symptoms. It is essential to talk to your doctor and take the necessary steps for the best treatments right from the root. Also make a strict note to maintain healthy eating habits and having the right food choices.
- Acid Reflux During Pregnancy: Home Remedies and Lifestyle Changes
- What Causes or Triggers an Acid Reflux?
- How to Avoid Acid Reflux During Holiday?
- How Long Does Acid Reflux Last & What are its Effects?
- Can Acid Reflux Cause Sore Throat?
- Soothing Foods for Acid Reflux|Natural Foods to Prevent Acid Reflux
- Diagnosis of Acid Reflux Disease & the Best Test for Diagnosing Acid Reflux Disease