Acid reflux remains a disturbing problem, particularly when you are unable to maintain a healthy eating regime. Acid reflux tends to be severe because the ailment indicates that the lining of your stomach has been affected by some medication or faulty eating habits. Acid reflux can lead to severe problem if not treated or prevented appropriately. It is important to know the soothing foods for acid reflux and natural foods to prevent acid reflux.
Acid reflux is also known as GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastric reflux disease and is commonly related to hyperacidity. It presents with heartburn or burning sensation in chest and throat, an acidic taste in mouth and regurgitation or sometimes even vomiting.
Soothing Foods for Acid Reflux
When it comes to following a healthy diet that can help your problem of acid reflux, knowledge of soothing foods is essential. Here are some soothing foods for acid reflux
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is an excellent soothing food for acid reflux. It is best when taken in the morning with warm milk so that the acid content in the stomach can get reduced to a considerable extent. You can combine the oatmeal with dry fruits that are soaked in water overnight or add fresh fruits as per your taste. This also provides you with enough fiber, which can improve digestion, which can help to keep acid reflux at bay.
- Ginger: Ginger is one of the most effective soothing foods for acid reflux. Being an anti-inflammatory and an effective aid to promote digestion, it proves as a wonderful soothing food for acid reflux. Just chew a small piece of ginger before your meal once a day. This will help in digesting the food effectively if you are very prone to acid reflux.
- Aloe Vera: While aloe vera is popular for other benefits, it also becomes very significant in treating your stomach and digestive problem. It is found naturally and can be taken in the pure form as a great soothing food for acid reflux.
- Banana: Effective soothing foods for acid reflux also include some superfoods like banana. Banana has a very soothing effect on the lining of the stomach and can help to prevent acid reflux naturally. Banana is also a great snack to be taken in-between the meals. It provides you the nutrition and also satiates your hunger pangs in a healthy way.
- Melons: Natural soothing foods for acid reflux are effective as most of them contain higher amount of compounds which can burn down the acidic elements in the stomach. Melons are great natural foods that can soothe your stomach and prevent acid reflux. With higher pH value, melons are very effective in controlling and preventing acid reflux.
- Fennel: Fennel seeds also have a high pH of 6.9 which can sooth your burning stomach to a greater extent. You can use the seeds in your food and may also consume fennel seeds soaked in water. Adding fennel seeds in oil before you put your vegetables for stir-fry helps, as fennel reduces the heaviness of oil and eases digestion.
- Green Vegetables: Fresh, green vegetables like cauliflower, beans and asparagus are some of the best soothing foods for acid reflux. These are high in the contents that can cut down the acid reflux to a significant level and improve your health.
- Rice: As an agent for controlling acid reflux, rice is also one of the great natural foods. It also helps to improve digestion and provides enough roughage.
- Apples: Apples, apart from their other health benefits are one of the best soothing food for acid reflux. With a low glycemic index, apples can be taken in the morning to give a healthy start to your day, while keeping acid levels low.
Natural Foods to Prevent Acid Reflux
Natural foods to prevent acid reflux are the foods present in your regular diet. It is important to know, which items from these regular food categories are natural foods to prevent acid reflux.
- Beverages – Water and fresh fruit juices are the best natural foods to prevent acid reflux. Coconut water, lemon juice, buttermilk, etc. are equally good. It is best to avoid caffeinated drinks, tea and coffee to prevent acid reflux.
- Soups – Fresh vegetable soups, chicken or fish soups prepared with herbs can be great natural foods to prevent acid reflux. Heavily spiced, seasoned or creamy soups must be avoided.
- Dairy Products – Dairy products are good to prevent acid reflux, provided you are not allergic or intolerant to milk and dairy. You can choose to have skim milk, low fat milk, low fat yoghurt, fat free cream and cottage cheese as natural foods to prevent acid reflux.
- Fruits and Vegetables – Fresh fruits are one of the best natural foods to prevent acid reflux and improve digestion. Vegetables are best taken when baked, steamed and boiled. When cooking vegetables, using less oil and stir frying will help to prevent acid reflux and keep your diet healthy. Some people may benefit from avoiding sour fruits and vegetables.
- Meats – Lean meat cuts can be taken, while avoiding high-fat or heavily seasoned meats. It better to avoid luncheon meats or sausages. While chicken or fish are considered safe on your stomach, it is important that they are cooked with limited spices; instead herbs can be used.
- Breads and Cereals – Rice is a great natural food to prevent acid reflux and it is better to choose whole grain breads and cereals. These can be taken with milk, fresh salads or steamed vegetables.
- Desserts - Low fat puddings and baked desserts may not cause problem, but high fat, chocolate or sugar laden desserts must be avoided.
Soothing foods for acid reflux can be added to your regular diet to control acid reflux. In addition natural foods can help to prevent acid reflux. Consuming diet and natural foods that help to prevent acid reflux is equally important as much as controlling the acid reflux after it occurs.
- Acid Reflux During Pregnancy: Home Remedies and Lifestyle Changes
- Honey is an Excellent Home Remedy for Acid Reflux
- What Causes or Triggers an Acid Reflux?
- How to Avoid Acid Reflux During Holiday?
- How Long Does Acid Reflux Last & What are its Effects?
- Can Acid Reflux Cause Sore Throat?
- Diagnosis of Acid Reflux Disease & the Best Test for Diagnosing Acid Reflux Disease