When extra cells grow on the colon lining, it is abnormal growth, which can be benign or malignant. Benign tumor is a condition which should not be ignored and if left untreated or if treatment is delayed, it can very probably lead to cancerous growth. This disease is also known as Sessile Serrated Adenomas (SSA) of the Colon or Sessile Serrated Polyps (SSP) of the Colon.
Causes of Sessile Serrated Adenomas of the Colon
Here are the causes of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon which often worsens the condition.
- Genetic factors and more specifically genetic mutation are the common causes of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon. It is also termed as serrated neoplasia pathway owing to the genetically modified background.
- Another common cause of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon is the pre-occurrence or premalignant form of disease, which leads to a full-fledged tumor. If the person already has the sessile serrated polyps of colon then chances of occurrence of this disease is strong
- The cause of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon may also be exposure to radiations which can lead to development of the tumor over a prolonged period of time, this condition can be summed up under the environmental factors.
Risk Factors of Sessile Serrated Adenomas of the Colon
Some of the risk factors of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon also include:
- People suffering from genetic mutations
- Occurrence of serrated lesions which includes sessile serrated polyps and hyperplastic polyps can also lead to the growth of benign tumor in colon.
Risk factors are also known as predisposing factors which may or may not lead to the malignant tumors of colon. In case medical tests prove the growth of these risk factors, one should immediately seek medical help so that effective measures can be taken for mitigation of disease.
Diagnosis of Sessile Serrated Adenoma of the Colon
The diagnosis of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon can be effectively made with the help of various means and equipment which give out precise results. Following procedures are followed for establishing the diagnosis of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon.
- Thorough physical examination
- Colonoscopy for a person who has already been suffering from colon cancer in the past
Colonoscopy for Diagnosis of Sessile Serrated Adenoma of the Colon
Colonoscopy helps to confirm the diagnosis of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon. It is a kind of physical screening in which thin tube is inserted into the body via colon and rectum. This is done to view the internal health of the digestive tract and the rectum. It helps to detect the presence of polyps in the colon or any tumorous growth in the lining of the colon.
Sample of tissue can be collected for biopsy, which helps to confirm the diagnosis of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon. The presence of the disease will be established by pathologist who proves that biopsy examination is carried out in apt ways. It also helps in confirming the stage and extent of the disease, based on which treatment of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon can be planned.
Treatment of Sessile Serrated Adenomas of the Colon
Treatment for sessile serrated adenoma of the colon includes removal of polyps present in rectum which can cause cancer in later stages. For this reason, experts consider removing the lesions through surgeries. In some cases, it becomes tough to remove the lesion when other methods may have to be adopted. Colonoscopy is a great method, which helps in identifying the types of lesions and helps in planning the most appropriate treatment option for sessile serrated adenoma of the colon.
The problem with sessile serrated adenoma of the colon is that although it is a non-cancerous growth but still it can lead to cancer. Knowing about the causes of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon can help to identify the high risk groups and seek timely medical help. For this reason, if a person is suffering from this condition, regular screening is a must otherwise situation may become out of control and cannot be treated even by means of surgery. Colonoscopy is the most effective tool that helps in the diagnosis of sessile serrated adenoma of the colon.