Home Remedies for Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic)
The below mentioned are the home remedies you can make use of to calm your baby suffering from infantile colic (babies with colic):
- Breast feed the baby as many babies find relief in it.
- Cuddle your baby with colic. Take him/ her in a sling and give him the comfort of your arm.
- Take your baby to a swing to make him happy. You can take him out for a drive. Buy vibrator seats for him to enjoy a healthy motion.
- Sing songs for your baby. Find any particular song or music which amuses them. You can try the same song many times to comfort him. If the baby is fond of hearing the song from any of his parent in particular, you can record the song and make him hear the song whenever he cries.
- Do not allow any continuous sound in the baby’s room. He might get irritated with the continuous sounds.
- Make your baby bath in warm water and offer him a rubbing on his belly.
- Place a warm towel on his abdomen to reduce the irritation of gas formed in his system.
- Let the baby be free to make his own movements.
- Do not shake your baby. It can add up to his frustration and he may cry. Babies feel equally irritated if someone shakes them. Some people do it to comfort the baby but on the contrary the baby feels distressed due to this. Do not give your baby’s charge to any or everyone. Keep them only with responsible people and in safe cribs.
- Arrange someone else who can take care of the baby for some time when you may need to take a rest. Parents also need moments of rest in this period. Unless you are in comfort you will not be able to comfort the baby.
Alternative Treatment for Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic)
There are certain alternate remedies which are applied by the parents on their babies to recover from infantile colic (babies with colic). These are:
- Massaging the baby
- Chiropractic manipulation
- Fennel oil massage
- Giving sugar water
- Gripe water
- Herbal teas
These alternative therapies are just to provide some comfort to the babies with Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic).
However no therapy should be conducted on babies without consulting the doctor. Babies can be allergic to certain therapies. Talking to a doctor is utmost necessary before applying any therapy on the babies. Infants cannot express the exact condition they are going through and thus any side effect from any of these therapies can be very harmful to them.
Coping with Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic)
Here are few coping suggestions for the parents who are dealing with infantile colic (babies with colic) in their babies:
- Both parents should share the responsibility of the Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic) baby. Many couples are seen where the mother has to take care of all the necessities of the baby alone. In such cases the mother can get frustrated after a certain point of time. Take a break from the daily works of the baby and ask for a baby sitter. You can also take the help of your neighbors and they would love to keep your baby for some time. Use this time in refreshing yourself.
- Couples should communicate between each other and talk about their situation on this.
- Do not think that your baby is affected with infantile colic (babies with colic) due to your poor parenting skill. Stay positive and try as much possible to comfort the baby.
- Take good care of yourself and eat healthy foods. Avoid consuming alcohol or smoking during this period. This will affect your as well as your infantile colic (babies with colic) baby’s health.
Prognosis for Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic)
In an assessment done on the ‘Toddler Temperament Scale’ it has been found out that there is almost no difference in behavior in nine dimensions between Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic) babies and non-colicky babies after a year of follow up.
Recovery Period or Healing Time for Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic)
Most of the babies affected by with infantile colic (babies with colic) respond to recovery on their own as they grow up to the age of 3 to 4 months. It is a frustrating period for the parents and other caregivers.
Adults affected by Colic
Adults also may suffer from colic. Biliary colic is one syndrome in adults which occurs due to extreme pain in the upper abdomen. The biliary system is often blocked by gallbladder, cystic duct or bile duct and causes extreme pain. Know more about colic pain in adults here.
- What is Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic): How do you Know if Your Baby has Colic?
- Treatment for Infantile Colic & Ways to Avoid Colic in Babies