Treatment for Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic)
Infantile colic (babies with colic) usually leaves by its own as the baby turns the age of three to four months. There is no proven medication in infantile colic (babies with colic) which can help the baby. However some medicines are tried and tested to find its utility on the babies. These treatment options for infantile colic (babies with colic) are:
- Simethicone (Infants' Mylicon Gas Relief or St. Joseph Baby Infants' Gas Relief) is generally prescribed to the infants to get relief from gas troubles. The digestive system in infants is not completely developed. Hence they may face trouble in stomach due to indigestion. Such irritation is cured by these medicines. Since these medicines are safe and have no side effects, so these can be prescribed to the babies with colic.
- Probiotics are prescribed for Infantile colic or babies with colic to relieve them from any bacterial infection. This helps to form a balance in the infant body. Lactobacillus reuteri is prescribed usually to treat infantile colic (babies with colic) in babies.
- Babies are often given a good massage session to make them comfortable. The joints and the muscles are provided relief so that the baby can be at comfort. Fussy babies are often found to be glad when given a good massage.
Never start giving any medication to your babies with infantile colic (babies with colic) without consulting the primary doctor. You may get distressed or even frustrated due to the regular crying sessions of your baby, but do not try to give any medicine on your own. This can be harmful to the baby. Talk to the pediatrician about what medication to be given to the baby to recover from infantile colic (babies with colic).
Guidelines of Treatment for Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic)
The following the guidelines for treatment for infantile colic (babies with colic):
- Take the crying sessions of your baby seriously. Pay attention to it if it is turning to be a regular habit.
- Parents should not feel frustrated with these extreme crying of the babies with colic and should never leave them to caretakers to save themselves from such frustration.
- There is generally no medication in the recovery of infantile colic (babies with colic). However certain medication is prescribed if the baby has a history of gastroesophageal reflux.
- A sympathetic physician is a boon during the recovery of infantile colic (babies with colic) in a baby. He should be continuously followed up for better and faster recovery.
- There are so many unproven therapies prescribed in colic since there is no apparent cause of this syndrome. These are applied in babies just to check which therapy works on which baby.
- Most parents take infantile colic (babies with colic) to be a GI factor and start medication in accordance to that.
- Dicyclomine hydrochloride (anticholinergic drug) is an effective medicine in babies to recover from Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic). On dire occasions babies may face some side effects from this drug like, breathing trouble.
Ways to Avoid Colic in Babies
Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic) is one syndrome which does not require medication. This is a natural thing which occurs in many new born babies. There is no significant cause of infantile colic (babies with colic) in a baby. Babies are found to cry without any reason. For the same reason there are no particular medicines to treat infantile colic (babies with colic). Certain changes in the lifestyle may bring some changes for infantile colic (babies with colic). The followings can be done to avoid colic in babies as well as provide some comfort to the baby :
- One of the ways to avoid colic in babies is to hold the baby upright while feeding. Often babies burp during feeding. Stop feeding for some time when the baby burps. Do not over feed him/ her. Some parents have the tendency to over feed the baby. They do not realize that this is actually harmful to the baby. The baby remains at distress due to this. They face irritation in their digestive system.
- You can avoid colic in babies by consulting your doctor about your own diet as well as that of your infant (babies with colic). Many a time the breast milk is affected due to certain intakes of the mother. Babies may be allergic to certain things which the mother is eating during this period. Mothers have to be very careful about what they are eating. They should avoid smoking or drinking during this period of breast feeding. Also consult your baby's diet with the doctor.
- Talk to your doctor if your baby is on formula milk. Babies may react to certain formula milk. Try to alter the formula to hydrolysate infant formula (Nutramigen , Similac Expert Care Alimentum, and Pregestimil) which are easy to digest in babies. Since babies have underdeveloped digestive system, so they may not digest the formula milk properly. Thus it forms gas in the stomach. This is one of the major reasons of irritation in babies. Consult with your doctor about the most suitable food for your baby. Infants do not have the ability to express about the exact irritation they go through. For the same reason they cry and cry extreme to express extreme irritation.
- Choosing the correct feeding bottle for your baby can also help avoid colic in babies. Try a few bottles initially and try to find out which feeding bottle your baby is more comfortable with. Also check if the baby has any problem with the kind of nipple he is being given to. Make alterations in the bottle and nipple if the baby does not find it comfortable.
Complications in Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic)
Presence of infantile colic in babies hampers the lives of the entire family. However this syndrome disappears with the growing age and no complications are usually seen.
Tests to Diagnose Infantile Colic (Babies with Colic)
The physical diagnosis of the babies with infantile colic (babies with colic) is done simply on their parent's lap. They are tested to find if there are any other troubles like skin infection, indigestion, lethargy etc. present in the baby. The temperature is measured along with the body weight.
The baby's clothes are removed during the physical diagnosis to find any sort of physical distort in him/her. Any abuse in taking care of the baby like a minor fracture or muscle cramp may cause infantile colic (babies with colic) crying sessions in babies. Parents are not aware of these disorders in the babies and hence do not know how to support them when they cry. Gastrointestinal and neurologic examination is also performed to find out any other disorder, if any.
Doctors may sometimes prescribe X-rays and other diagnostic tests only as a tool to rule out any chances of hidden discomfort in the baby. All these tests are performed only to reassure the parents.