What Condoms do you use if you are Allergic to Latex?

Sex life requires the frequent use of condoms to avoid unwanted pregnancies or sexually transmitted diseases. The most used material for its elaboration is latex, natural rubber that comes from the milky sap of the Hevea brasiliensis tree.

One percent of the population is allergic to latex, a very high number. The allergy is not to the condom, but to latex and this forms part of products such as gloves for domestic or clinical use, balloons, masks, cannulas and probes, etc. Latex is also part of food processing, product packaging, injections and medicines in general.


Whoever suffers for the first time an allergic reaction to latex may experience itching, tearing, eye and facial flushing, nasal irritation, burning hands, dry cough and shortness of breath, palpitations or dizziness. It can be by direct contact or with latex dust, like the one that comes in gloves. The reactions range from mild to severe and can lead to death.

Those who experience a mild reaction to the contact of condom latex for the first time may develop rashes, hives, itching in the contact area (penis, vagina or even fingers of the hands when handling it) and tearing, nasal irritation, cough and eye redness or a severe reaction such as respiratory distress, asthma, hypotension, chest tightness, dizziness and anaphylactic shock.

Psychological Reaction to Allergy

A person’s sex life changes radically when they discover latex allergy in the middle of a sexual relationship. The fear of a relapse on contact with latex makes him avoid a new encounter. The painful experience causes such anguish that the person considers the condom the cause of this whole episode.

Many women come to experience discomfort during penetration when her partner uses latex condom, these go from mild itching, burning, to vaginal malodor after sexual intercourse.

Anyone who has a severe reaction is prevented from contacting latex condoms again. The solution involves recognizing the level of allergic reaction by medical assessment and avoiding any contact with latex in any presentation, since the reaction to a new exposure can be serious.

What Condoms do you use if you are Allergic to Latex?

What Condoms do you use if you are Allergic to Latex?

Depending on the severity of the reaction and the personal ability to adjust it will be the time take to resume sex life; since there are alternatives of other materials with which condoms are made. There are alternatives to condoms made with polyurethane, with a low allergenic reaction, whose manufacturing offers other advantages. They are thinner and if the couple requires lubricating the vagina, these condoms are not affected when using vaseline or baby cream, as well as water-based gel. The general opinion is that they are anatomically better than latex.

There is another condom alternative based on polyisoprene, manufactured based on a synthetic latex that does not have this allergenic reaction. This condom is more resistant than latex and is recommended for practitioners of anal sex.

A frequent opposition to the polyurethane or polyisoprene condom is the thickness, since many men demand a high sensitivity.

Protected and Pleasurable Sex

Whoever has gone through the bad experience of an allergic reaction to condom latex recognizes anguish and fear of a new episode.

Sexual intimacy does not have to be diminished even if you have a latex allergy. Those who assume an active sexual life recognize the importance of feeling full and sexually satisfied.

Nowadays it is possible to obtain female-male, completely latex-free and ultrasensitive condoms.

There are other allergic substances associated with sexual practice included in gels, oils, perfumes or sexual objects. Who reacts to these products, even slightly, should go to an allergist in order to receive attention and directions to avoid a major reaction.


Although it does not endanger life, this exaggerated response of the organism causes those affected to resist the use of condoms. If a person suspects from this type of allergy, the first thing that should do is going to an allergist/immunologist, a professional in charge of diagnosing and developing a treatment plan for these cases.

Also Read:

Team PainAssist
Team PainAssist
Written, Edited or Reviewed By: Team PainAssist, Pain Assist Inc. This article does not provide medical advice. See disclaimer
Last Modified On:December 7, 2022

Recent Posts

Related Posts