Myasthenia gravis is a condition in which there is a fast exhaustion and weakness of voluntary muscles. This condition is caused due to miscommunication or absence of communication between muscles and nerves. Myasthenia gravis is an incurable condition. However, the symptoms can be alleviated, and the condition can be managed with a prompt and an efficient treatment. Treatment supported with some lifestyle changes can help in improving the quality of life.
Lifestyle Changes For Myasthenia Gravis
Along with the treatment and medications to manage the symptoms of myasthenia gravis, you can also go for some lifestyle changes, which can help in supporting your treatment as well. These lifestyle changes can also help you in coping up with your condition and managing your symptoms better. They may also help in improving the quality of life.
Making Adjustments With The Eating Schedule-
- It is recommended to eat when you find that your muscle strength is good
- Chew slowly and also take some breaks between bites. This will ensure that you don’t tire out your muscles quickly and easily
- Instead of going for one large meal, frequent small meals can serve your purpose better
- It is advisable to eat soft foods and avoid any type of food that requires a significant amount of chewing(1)
Watching Your Steps At Home-
- It is a good idea to install some supporting or grab bars at places where you nay need some support, like the stairwell or near the bathtub
- Keeping the floor clean and free from any spills and moving rugs and other slippery items out of your vicinity may ensure that you do not trip and fall
- The outside of your house should also be cleaned and maintained, so that you do not stumble or trip over on anything
- When you are working on something or doing a task, you may get tired very easily
- It is a good idea to use electric appliances like electric toothbrush etc. whenever possible, so that you can save up on your energy
In case your eyes are affected, and you suffer from double vision, consider using an eye patch. An eye patch can be very useful in relieving this problem. Using an eye patch whenever you are reading, watching tv or writing can help in solving your problem of double vision. Switch eye patch from one eye to the other from time to time, so that strain on the same one eye can be avoided
Plan your shopping errands and other activities around the time when you feel most energetic. Also, try taking rest in between and avoiding too much walking inside the house so that you do not tire yourself out.(1)
Coping With Myasthenia Gravis
- Coping with myasthenia gravis may be difficult for you as well as your family members
- As stress may worsen the condition, it is essential to find ways and means to relax and destress yourself
- It is wise to ask for help in your work if you need it. It may be too tiring to try to do everything by yourself, eventually leading to increased symptoms
- If someone in your family is having myasthenia gravis, try to understand how he or she is feeling. Read about the condition and try to get knowledge about it. Help the person adjust to the newly diagnosed disease and even after that
- A support group may be helpful in answering many of your questions and it may be helpful to talk to someone with similar problems(1)
Myasthenia gravis is an incurable condition. However, it can be managed, and the symptoms can be alleviated with a prompt and an efficient treatment. If the treatment is supported with some lifestyle changes, it may help in coping up with the condition and also help in recovering better. Lifestyle changes can prove to be useful in improving the quality of life of people with myasthenia gravis.
- What Are The Primary Features Of Myasthenia Gravis?
- Factors That Can Make Myasthenia Gravis A Life-Threatening Disorder
- How Does A Person Get Myasthenia Gravis?
- What Foods Should I Eat & Avoid With Myasthenia Gravis?
- Can I Drive With Myasthenia Gravis?
- What Is The Best Treatment For Myasthenia Gravis?
- Does Thymectomy Cure Myasthenia Gravis?