What is Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor, Know its Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis, Complications
Glioma is a type of tumor that develops in brain and in spinal cord region. The tumor mainly develops in the supportive cells that cover the nerve cells helping them in functioning properly. Based on the location and growth rate it can affect the normal functioning of brain or can also be life threatening.
Causes of Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
Just like other types of tumor the exact cause of glioma brain & spine tumor is not known but there are some factors that increases the possibility of developing brain tumor.
Some of the known factors for causing glioma brain & spine tumor are as follows:
- Constant Exposure to Harmful Radiations: People who are frequently exposure to ionizing radiation are more prone to develop this glioma brain & spine tumor. Best example of ionizing radiation includes the radiation used in therapies for treating diseases like cancer. These radiations have atomic bombs, which in turn case tumor.
- Age Factor: Risk of developing glioma brain & spine tumor increases with age i.e., older people are more prone to this problem than younger ones. Individuals between age group 60-80 years have high risk of having tumor. As such tumor can occur at any age, Ependymomas and Pilocytic Astrocytomas are the type of tumor that are commonly found in teenage or young children.
- Hereditary: Usually, glioma brain & spine tumor is not a hereditary disease but having a family history of the same increases the risk of having glioma brain & spine tumor. Researchers are working to find if there is any link between genetic variations and brain tumors.
Symptoms of Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
Symptoms of glioma brain & spine tumor differs depending on the location, size and type of tumor. Some of the common symptoms are:
- Vomiting sensation
- Short term Memory loss
- Frequent Headache
- Problem in normal brain functioning
- Improper vision, such as double vision or blur vision
- Problem with balancing
- Sudden change in personality
- Difficulty in speaking
- Problem in urination.
In case any of the above mentioned symptom is encountered then one should immediately seek medical assistance.
Tests to Diagnose Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
When doctors suspect brain tumor they prescribe some tests to confirm the same.
- Imaging tests: One of the most common tests which is used for diagnosing glioma brain & spine tumor is MRI i.e., Magnetic resonance imaging. Some majority of cases a dye is injected in the arms of patient, this helps in showing difference in different brain tissues. Different component of MRI includes perfusion MRI, magnetic resonance spectroscopy and functional MRI. There are two other types of imagining test computerized tomography scan and positron emission tomography.
- Neurological Exam: While performing this examination doctors check various aspects of human body such as balance, strength, vision, reflexes, co-ordination, hearing and so on. Encountering problem in two or more areas indicates problem in brain caused because of glioma brain & spine tumor.
These tests also show the severity of tumor and its progressive rate.
Treatment for Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
Glioma brain & spine tumor treatment depends on a number of factors. Observations reveal that the location, type and size of the glioma brain & spine tumors are determinants of the treatment that an individual suffering from the disease needs to receive. Glioma brain & spine tumor treatment in kids is different from the treatment offered to the adults. Brain tumors are mostly treated using surgical procedures, chemotherapy and radiation.
Prevention of Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
One can prevent glioma brain & spine tumor by following the below mentioned preventive measures:
- Quit smoking and alcohol consumption
- Adopting active lifestyle
- Exercising regularly
- Eating healthy food
- Stress free life.
Complications of Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
There can be serious complications with glioma brain & spine tumor. Some of the life threatening complications associated with the disease are the following:
- There can be obstruction in the flow of cerebro-spinal fluid from the third ventricle and this can lead to death.
- Glioma brain & spine tumor may lead to cerebral hernia, which is a fatal condition in which the brain forces through a skull opening.
- Brain hemorrhage is yet another condition which is a result of glioma brain & spine tumor and it leads to sudden speech or vision loss, unconsciousness or even paralysis.
Whenever, a person is diagnosed with glioma brain & spine tumor, it is recommended not to waste time and consult the a registered neurologist immediately. Less delay in the treatment helps to cure the condition completely.
Prognosis/Outlook for Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
Before proceeding with the treatment it is very important to know the type and grade of glioma brain & spine tumor. There are various ways to determine the factors that are important for planning tumor treatment.
- Tumor Histology. As the name suggests in this a section of tumor is removed and analyzed to determine the various aspects of tumor, such as tumor type, molecular structure and grade. This ultimately help doctor to understand how the tumor behaves and how it can be controlled.
- Age Factor. Age places a significant role in prognosis or outlook of glioma brain & spine tumor. In young people the diagnosis of glioma brain & spine tumor is far more convenient than the aged people.
- Location of Tumor. Location also plays an important role in glioma brain & spine tumor prognosis, some of the tumor and more dangerous than others because of its location. Also, some tumors are difficult to remove before of its location.
Lifestyle Changes for Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
The brain is an important part of the human body and tumors in the brain can be life threatening. When tumors occur then the individual suffering from it may not be able to perform certain tasks. The difficulties posed by tumors vary as each tumor occupies, affects different brain parts. Consulting a neurosurgeon often helps to bring about the type of lifestyle changes in order to remain active despite such health issues.
The individuals suffering from glioma brain & spine tumor needs to address the following issues:
- Managing convulsions
- Managing change in personality
- Managing cognitive dysfunction
- Managing loss of coordination between body parts.
Some lifestyle changes as advised by the physician can prove to be immensely helpful. These changes include the following:
Treatment of glioma brain & spine tumor require a strong body. The lifestyle changes need to be such so that it helps to strengthen the body so that the individuals can withstand the rigors of treatment.
- Making the immune system strong enough to counter cancer.
- Making oneself emotionally strong so that the individual can enjoy life to the fullest, when the treatment for glioma brain & spine tumor is going on.
- Making healthy choices to avoid medical problems that can complicate an individual's health.
- The person suffering from brain or spinal tumor should quit smoking.
- Follow a nutritious diet.
- Do exercises regularly.
- Reduce the risk of getting infected.
- Seek support whenever required.
Home Remedies for Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
Adopting a healthy and active lifestyle is the only remedy that one can follow to prevent glioma brain & spine tumor. Also, one should try their best to lead a stress and tension free life with positive attitude towards life.
Coping with Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
Individuals detected with glioma brain & spine tumor enter in a state of shock and grief. However, there are some steps that helps the patient in coping with the adverse situation:
- Be in touch with family and friends. Moral support by family members and friends helps in strengthening the positive attitude of the patient, which in turn contributes in coping up with the physical condition. Also, family members boast the moral of patient when they feel overwhelmed by glioma brain & spine tumor.
- Know more about glioma brain & spine tumor. Before making any assumptions about the severity of the disease it is better to discuss about the same with the doctor. Ask them about the type of tumor you have along with the severity and prevention that can be followed. In addition, one should also read about the problem online this way they get more aware of the problem.
- Look for someone to share your feeling. Look for a person who will listen to you and in front of whom you can speak freely about your feelings. This person can be your friend, any family member or a counselor. One can also ask their doctor about the supportive group who provide moral and emotional support to the suffering patient.
Recovery Period/Healing Time for Glioma Brain & Spine Tumor
For advanced glioma brain & spine tumor treatment recovery period or healing time can be a difficult proposition. However, post brain surgery, it takes some time for the patients to fully recover and gain the usual energy level. Healing of tumors requires rest. The time required for a cancer patient to fully recover depends on the following factors:
- The procedure used for glioma brain & spine tumor removal.
- The glioma brain & spine tumor location within the brain.
- The brain areas that are affected by surgery.
- The age of the patient and his or her overall health status.
After glioma brain & spine tumor surgery the patient is required to stay at the hospital for a few days. However, the exact duration of stay depends on whether the patient has other medical complications, the type of tumor surgery that has been performed.