According to a new study published in health affairs, maintaining a normal weight, non-smoking and alcohol habits at decent proportions are some of the leading factors for adding healthy years to your life. Research says that individuals who maintained healthy lifestyles lived more than a decade than those who did not.
It is most saddening and unfortunate that Americans does not live a long lifespan, unlike most other countries. Some of the few main reasons causing major death in the country are heart disease and cancer. Although these diseases are preventable yet due to an unhealthy lifestyle, it increases the risk of these chronic conditions and results in early death.
Lifestyle Changes For Neuroblastoma
Can we lower the risk of neuroblastoma progressing? If your child is diagnosed with this condition or getting treated for neuroblastoma, as a parent you may probably want to know if there are some lifestyle changes they can adopt in order to lower the risk of cancer or prevent their recurrence. This may include eating some special type of diet or nutritional supplements.
Dietary Supplements For Neuroblastoma – Epidemiological and preclinical studies have evidence to prove that omega-3 fatty acids possess anti-cancer characteristics. Experiments were conducted in athymic rats and they were fed with DHA as the dietary supplement. Their conditions were closely monitored. The results showed that the rate of growth of this disease was delayed with the rats that were fed with DHA; however, in the untreated animals, the growth was progressive. Similarly, daily vitamin and mineral use in the month before pregnancy and in each trimester was associated with a 30-40% reduction in risk of neuroblastoma.
Ketogenic Diet For Neuroblastoma – Neuroblastoma is characterized by a generalized reduction of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation. In order to improve the condition, the ketogenic diet is often recommended. The ketogenic diet has the potential adaptive mechanisms of cancer’s oxidative phosphorylation system. Similar experiments were conducted on mice after they received a standard ketogenic diet. The results showed that diet significantly reduced tumor growth and prolonged survival in these animals. Therefore, studies suggest that the ketogenic diet can be a possible adjuvant therapy for patients undergoing treatment for neuroblastoma.
However, as your child grows older, adopting healthy behaviors such as not smoking, eating well, getting regular physical activity, and staying at a healthy weight might help.1. 2
Physical Activity For Neuroblastoma- Neuroblastoma cancer survivors experiences excessive weight gain early in treatment. So, this childhood disease is often influenced by a healthy lifestyle with sufficient physical activity to prevent the early onset of obesity and cardiovascular disease. A study was conducted on the individuals who performed health-enhancing physical activity. The results showed that neuroblastoma patients who underwent regular physical exercises were much healthier. Lifestyle changes introduced early in cancer care were both safe and feasible.3
Life Expectancy And Survival Rates Of Neuroblastoma
Every year more than 800 kids are detected with this childhood cancer in North America. The life expectancy of this disease usually depends on the five-year survival rate and also the type of cancer. The survival rate phenomenon is based on the complex system that involves a detailed understanding of the stage of the disease at diagnosis. Based on the current statistics, the cancer is classified into low risk, intermediate and high-risk. Generally, children who are under 1 to 1.5 years old commonly have a better long-term prognosis than older children.
- Low-risk neuroblastoma have a survival rate of 95%
- Intermediate risk group have a survival rate of 90-95%
- Children who suffer from high-risk neuroblastoma have a survival rate of 40-45%4.
Survival varies with each risk group of neuroblastoma. The earlier neuroblastoma is identified and treated, the survival rate is better. Also, younger children with neuroblastoma have a better outcome.
- A healthy lifestyle increases lifetime expectancy https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170720113710.htm
- Dietary supplements delaying the progression of neuroblastoma https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20499314
- Daily physical activity for neuroblastoma https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23389502
- Survival rates of childhood cancer – neuroblastoma https://www.cancer.org/cancer/neuroblastoma/detection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.html
- How Bad Is Stage 4 Neuroblastoma & Has Anyone Survived Neuroblastoma?
- Is Neuroblastoma Benign Or Malignant & Is It A Genetic Disorder?
- What Are The Chances Of Surviving Neuroblastoma & What Are Its Stages?
- What Part Of The Body Does Neuroblastoma Affect & Are You Born With It?
- Best Exercises/Activities For Neuroblastoma Patients
- Is Neuroblastoma A Disability & Can You Claim Disability Benefits?
- Is Olfactory Neuroblastoma Hereditary?