These days finding men with bigger breasts have become common. Some people have misconception that usually overweight men have problems of enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia but this is not at all true. Men having big breasts are actually victims of an unusual disease known as gynecomastia. Men suffering from this disease develop real live breast tissues.
Causes of Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
Till date no medically proven cause has been identified for enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia, but it is believed that this problem occurs at the time of puberty or in very old age, this is so because during these two phases drastic hormonal changes occur in men’s body. Medical conditions like liver disorder, tumors, leprosy, leukemia, testicular issues, genetic orders etc… are some of the suspected causes of this health issue. In some cases taking steroids are also considered as a prime cause for enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia.
Symptoms of Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
Some common symptoms of enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia caused from increased estrogen or prolactin are, bloating, depression, weight gain, prostate enlargement and anxiety. Other common symptoms include itchy and sore nipples, milky discharge and excess fat deposition in chest area. Identify the problem at an easy stage help in treating the problem conveniently and the breast size can be reduced without any surgery.
Test to Diagnose Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
Test that helps in diagnosing enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia includes, hormonal level test, blood tests for identifying the level of estrogen and testosterone (imbalance of these hormones can cause enlarged breasts in men). In addition to this, test of other hormones, such as leutanizing Hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin and follicle stimulating hormone are also suggested. Performing of ultrasound on breast helps in identifying the exact problem like whether it is actually gynecomastia or lump formation in the breast or can be just swelling. As both kidney and liver disorder can lead to big boob disorder, hence, kidney and liver function test also helps in detecting the problem.
Treatment for Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
In most of the cases surgery is considered as the most effective treatment for enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia. However, there are some effective non-surgical treatments like amendments in the diet, intake of herbal supplements and so on. In fact, doctors also suggest that before opting for the surgery one should do some exercise and follow healthy diet. There are cases whether people have recovered from enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia just by making some good changes in lifestyle.
Complications in Surgery for Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
Like any other cosmetic surgery there are some complications associated with surgery for enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia and one should be aware of the same before going for the surgery. After the surgery there is high possibility that patient may find asymmetry in the chest area, like difference in breast size or location of nipples and so on.
There is also the possibility of unsightly scarring associated with the surgery. One must keep in mind that unlike a breast augmentation or reduction, the gynecomastia surgery may not just be a form of liposuction, but in the event a mammary gland is found it will need to be removed. Furthermore, the incisions associated with the procedure are substantially larger than a breast augmentation. One should realize the fact that it is not just an ordinary form of liposuction but in this procedure mammary gland found is removed from the body. Another complication that can arise is the deformation of chest contour.
Home Remedies for Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
There are some simple home remedies that can be undertaken by the patient for curing enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia, they are:
- Stopping the consumption of alcohol, drugs or any other addictive substances is a remedy for enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia. Eating lot of fast food acts as a facilitating factor for developing enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia, hence, one should try to modify their diet by eliminating unhealthy fatty food with healthy foods.
- Ask your physician that whether you current medicines are contributing in the development of this problem. If the answer is yes, then ask your doctor to modify the prescription. Medicines that can cause development of big breast in man include verapamil, lphenytoin, phenothiazines, cimetidine and haloperidol.
- Intake of steroids for a long time creates imbalance in the male sex hormones. Body builders who constantly take high dose steroids often face this problem. People who take anabolic steroids for health reasons should do that under medical supervision.
- In majority of cases size of man breast can be drastically reduced by losing weight. This can be done by cutting down on the intake of calories and increase workout.
- Replacing regular milk tea with green tea is a good home remedy for enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia, this promotes increase metabolism and also increases the metabolism.
- Opting for regular check-ups helps in identification of the problem in the very early stage, which in deed helps in curing enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia without surgery.
Exercises for Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
As discussed above enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia can be cured with proper and regular exercises. There are no particular exercises for reducing chest fat deposition, hence, one need to focus on reducing fat from overall body. Let us take a look on some of the exercises that can have positive approach in reducing breast size in men.
- Cardio exercises can help in treating enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia. This is one of the best exercise for burning body fat. In addition to fat burn cardio exercise also helps in building strength. Doctors suggest including at least one hour of intense cardio in the workout regimen. Some of the commonly performed cardio exercises include, running on treadmill, heavy cycling and elliptical.
- In alternate hand crossing exercises for enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia, slowly place your arm forward with your palm pushing it downwards. Alternatively, repeat the same with other hand. Make sure that do this exercise as fast possible for availing better results. Do not strain the arm muscle too much, as this can cause muscle pain or injure.
- Pushup exercises for enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia specifically focuses on the chest area. It creates decent pressure/stress on chest and biceps start with exercise with minimum count and then increase the count gradually. Obese people find this exercise as the toughest because of excess body weight.
- Make sure not to stretch your body too much in the initial days of starting the exercise and then increase the count and strength slowly. In due course of time one can feel the increase in strength and also a drastic increase in the energy level.
Prevention of Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
Enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia caused because of ageing or at the time of puberty because of hormonal imbalance cannot be prevented. However, problem caused because of medical conditions can be prevented to some extent by eliminating the adverse health condition.
Risk Factors for Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
Teenagers are highly prone to enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia because during puberty human bodies undergo numerous hormonal changes. In some cases, it was observed that only one area of the chest show significant growth. Condition that makes the situation even more complicated for teenagers when the chest area becomes distinguishable out of uneven proportion. Another very critical factor that contributes in the development of enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia is obesity or over weight. In obesity people develop enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia because of excess deposition of fat in the chest area. Such patients are advised to lose weight and adopt an active lifestyle.
Complications of Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
The complications of enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia include:
- Men with enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia starts wearing loose and baggy clothes for hiding their enlarged breasts to the possible extent. Also, the increase use of dark color cloths with vertical strips for looking thin.
- Some men prefer to go in isolation and try avoiding participating in any social gatherings and events. This way ultimately the sufferer goes in depression.
- Some patient starts using all sort of herbal remedies. This gives them a hope but they might end up getting nothing.
Prognosis/Outlook for Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
In addition to the etiology of enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia, the prognosis becomes successful when the surgery is being performed by a well experienced surgeon. In any situation effective medical and if required surgical treatment is very much required.
Lifestyle Changes for Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
Research has revealed that usually overweight people suffer from enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia. This is because of excess deposition of fat in the chest area. Opting for healthy lifestyle changes and intake of healthy food can actually contributes in getting rid of the problem to the maximum extent. Proper intake of low fat food and opting for an active lifestyle reduces the level of accumulated fat in the chest area.
Coping with Enlarged Breasts in Men or Gynecomastia
It is very unfortunate that men coping with enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia often give up on their normal activities. Some of the common ways of coping includes:
- Talk therapy or psychotherapy can help people with enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia. Becoming comfortable with the body is very crucial and it can help in maintaining positive relationship with your partner.
- Counselling can also help in knowing about the complications of the problem and it makes sure you do not become depressed or lose self esteem. Therapy will also help in developing your self esteem.
- Joining a support group can help in better cope with enlarged breasts in men or gynecomastia, as you will be able to talk to others who are also going through the same problem and you may get benefited by getting coping tips from them.