Alkaline foods do help in managing acid reflux. When the digestion process slows down, the food sits inside the stomach for a longer period of time. This gives rise to the production and release of more acid within the stomach. The acid causes bloating and reaches up to your oesophagus and spreads to your muscles creating a lot of pressure. This situation is known as acid reflux. If you are experiencing a sour taste in the mouth, a sudden pain in the chest and uneasy stomach disorder, it may indicate that you are suffering from acid reflux or even GERD. A proper change in the daily diet may resolve your issue of suffering from acid reflux and the best way to do is to introduce alkaline food to your daily diet. The pH level from 7 to14 determines the how alkaline your food item is. Alkaline food can neutralise the level of acidity in your stomach.
Do Alkaline Foods Help Acid Reflux?
When any food is digested it produces or breaks down into substances which are either acidic or alkaline in nature. While acidic food may increase the reflux (gastro esophageal reflux), the alkaline food will help to neutralise it down. Alkaline food therefore reduces the symptoms or causes for GERD and is clinically prescribed to people with acid reflux.
When you are on alkaline diet, you might have to avoid a lot of food items. Most of the grains and fruits that you take during your breakfast are acidic. Instead of these, you can choose to have poached eggs and yogurt. For lunch you can choose chicken breasts which in alkaline unlike any other animal meat. Vegetables like lettuce, carrot, peas, beets and pepper can have had with cottage cheese for a salad. For fruits and snacks you can have pumpkins and sprouted seeds.
Avoid food like chocolate, tomato sauce, garlic and mint to worsen the symptoms of acid reflux. After you have introduced enough alkaline food items to your diet, you should plan on taking smaller meals for more number of times a day and not heavy meals. Before changing your diet, always consult a doctor.
Which Foods are Alkaline in Nature?
- Fruits like banana are alkaline, not only it contains fibre but also vitamin B6 and potassium. Apples also contain fibre. You can make several recipes with these fruits. Also these fruits can be had at any time during the day and these keep you full which prevent you from over-eating and also reduce acid reflux.
- While most of the meat gets acidic when eaten, skinless chicken is a source of low acid diet maintaining the protein content you need in your diet. Fish like salmon help in keeping your heart and bones strong. Both chicken and sea food helps to reduce the symptoms of acid reflux.
- As your breakfast cereal, oatmeal gives you a low-acid diet. It contains fibre which improves your digestion and also helps to maintain the blood glucose level. To keep your body active and avoid acid reflux, you may also choose to have brown rice.
- Unlike most nuts, almonds have high alkaline content. Other than containing healthy fibres, the mono unsaturated fat and omega 3 almonds also contain vitamin E. almonds can eaten in between meals to reduce acid reflux. Almonds also increase the intake of magnesium and manganese in your daily diet. While you are making any nutty low acid dish, you might use almond.
- Among the manufactured and processed food, skim milk, goat cheese and coy cheese are alkaline. If you eat vegetables that are cooked in less oil and include whole grains and rice in your diet, a fine base will be formed which will help prevent the rise of acidity and reduce acid reflux.