Causes of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
One of the biggest causes of the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is the abnormal genes due to which the heart muscles get thicken. Sometimes the arrangements of your cells in the heart muscle can be one of the reasons of developing this heart disease. The cases of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy differ from people to people as in some cases it may block the flow of blood from the heart while in the others it may affect the walls of the heart thereby enlarging it. Pumping blood becomes difficult and it gets essential to seek advice from the doctor.
What is Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy?
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy also known as HCM is a heart-related disease wherein the muscles of your heart become thick thereby affecting the proper functioning. The thick muscles of your heart make the walls stiff such that the flow of blood out from the heart is highly affected. If regular screening is not done, the person can suffer from sudden death as well. This is the reason that person suffering from Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy need to seek the assistance of the doctor on a regular basis so that right diagnosis can be done to overcome the symptoms. If you compromise with your health the conditions may worsen and also affect the functioning of your heart drastically thus influencing overall health.
After treating the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy people can live a normal life without any problem. Though in few of the cases it is seen that people suffer from some kind of disability but most of them enjoy a great life expectancy.
Signs and Symptoms of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
There is no denial to the fact that the signs and symptoms of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy differ from person to person that is why it is important to consult the doctor as they can guide you in a better way. Some of the common signs and symptoms that you can notice are:
If you come across any of the above signs and symptoms of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy it means that you need to visit the doctor and get your check-up done before things go out of hand.
Complications of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Usually, people suffering from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy can live a healthy life if they take proper care but in some cases, the complications are quite extreme. As the heart muscles get thicken it becomes difficult for them to breathe properly and get tired easily. Chest pain can be experienced and the heartbeats may become irregular. The heart is unable to pump blood in its normal way which in turn is a big issue. Heart failure is another problem which can be faced by the people. Sometimes sudden death may be caused because of this and that is why constant attention is needed to overcome such a situation.
Diagnosis for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Though your signs and symptoms are the first things that the doctor will look into but may advise a few tests as well to get sure whether you are suffering from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or not. Here are some of the tests that may be suggested to you, such as:
- An echocardiogram for diagnosing hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is the best way to diagnose the heart-related problems so your doctor can suggest that. In this, a small tube which is flexible in nature is passed into your throat into the stomach so that a better picture can be seen.
- Transthoracic echocardiogram is another way in which a beam of light is passed into the heart to detect the problem of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
- Then you have the electrocardiogram or ECG which is quite helpful in determining whether the heart is functioning properly or not.
- Cardiac MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) is also suggested to the patients depending on the initial diagnosis done by the doctor.
Apart from these tests for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, your doctor would like to know about the health history of your parents as well as it can prove helpful during the treatment. Make sure you provide complete information to them so that the right analysis can be done and accordingly the treatment can be started.
Treatment for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
The main purpose of the treatment for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is to ensure that the heart health improves so that it can function properly. There are lots of treatments which can be suggested by the doctor keeping in mind the complexity associated with the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Here are some of the common treatments that can cure the symptoms:
- One of the best ways to get rid of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is to go for medications which not only ease the heart problems but make sure that pumping becomes better. Beta blockers can be prescribed by the doctor which make sure that the heartbeats properly. There is a wide range of beta blockers available so that your doctor can suggest the best of them.
- Myectomy can be used as a treatment for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. If the medicines are not effective then myomectomy is done which is an open heart surgery in which your thickened muscles are removed from the heart so that it can function in the desired manner. This will help to overcome irregular heartbeat and increase the flow of blood out from the heart as well.
- Ablation for treating hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is the process in which the thicker heart muscles are destroyed using the alcohol which is injected into your body through the catheter. This process really proves beneficial in reducing the symptoms and can have a positive effect on your heart health.
- ICD or Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator is the last option which the doctors suggest when none of the above treatments show their result. So you can say that it is the last rescue wherein a pacemaker is implanted which helps in the right functioning of your heart. First, the heart is monitored properly by the doctors, then only the implantation is done.
So it entirely depends on your health as which treatment will suit you the most. So do get in touch with your doctors to know more about the different kinds of treatments for the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
Home Remedies for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
With the help of the home remedies as well you can easily bring down the symptoms of the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Here are some of the remedies that you can try:
- Olive oil is a good home remedy for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Get rid of the oily stuff and make sure your food is cooked in the minimum oil. The best you can do is to go for olive oil which is really healthy.
- Healthy diet is another good remedy for eliminating heart related diseases. Go for a balanced and healthy diet which is very important for your heart as well as the overall health. Include healthy food and fruits that will definitely help in proper functioning of your heart and avoid hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
- Avoid alcohol as it is very bad for your health. You can consult your doctor about the same as how much alcohol is ideal for you and can be consumed to be at the safe level.
- Go for regular check-ups where you will be diagnosed properly by your doctor. In case there is something serious your doctor will suggest the desired treatment as per the requirement. So regular diagnosis is necessary.
- Take your medicines for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy on time and do not skip them in any way. Maintaining the regularity can have a lot of influence as the signs can get reduced easily and you will really feel the difference.
Coping with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
People suffering from Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy may face a lot of problems that is why it is necessary that someone is always with them. Make sure they are taken for regular check-ups and a healthy lifestyle is followed by them to reduce the symptoms. Let the person be free from stress and get all the support. The support of family is important in this case as it can boost their confidence which can help in speedy recovery. If anything unusual comes your way, do get in touch with your doctor as they will be able to guide you in a proper way and recommend what is best for you at that time.
Prognosis/Outlook for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Though the prognosis or outlook for majority of the people suffering from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is good and can live a healthy lifestyle without any problem but sometimes people may get prone to other heart-related problems as well which can increase the risk. Heat failure or sudden death is something that can definitely be the last step if complications increase. That is why utmost care has to be taken so that the patient can stay healthy and overcome the symptoms in a natural way.
Recovery Period/Healing Time for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Recovery from the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy depends on the treatment that has been started by the doctor. If you are on medicine then it may have to be continued for a long time. In the case of the surgeries, you may take the time to recover and this will depend upon your health conditions. The recovery period or healing time of the different treatments will vary and only your doctor can help you with that. They will be able to provide correct information on this as not everyone is able to recover soon. Also, the complexity associated with the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy can be a deciding factor as for how soon would you be able to recover from the treatment. So seek the guidance of your doctor as they can best help you in this concern.
So this was all about the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy that you wanted to know. Hope this information really proves helpful to you.