Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia: Treatment, Recovery, Prevention, Complications
One of the most important treatment methods for low blood glucose or hypoglycemia is to restore the sugar levels to the normal parameters in the blood, Generally, it ranges from 70 to 110 milligrams/dL. The reading should be in range while undertaking food as well as medicines. The treatment of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia can only be successful when the underlying condition is treated. This article on low blood glucose or hypoglycemia explains about treatment, recovery period/ healing time, prevention and complications.
Treatment for Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia
Treatment process for low blood glucose or hypoglycemia consists of:
- Initial treatment is to enhance the sugar level in the blood.
- Treating the underlying issue is crucial for stopping low blood glucose or hypoglycemia to recur.
Initial Treatment for Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia
Initially, few grams of carbohydrates should be given so that it could be transformed into sugar inside the body. Candy or even fruit juices are administered in copious amounts to enhance the level of sugar. Foods comprising of fat or even protein should not be given to the patients suffering from low blood glucose or hypoglycemia. They decrease the rate of fat absorption inside the body.
The blood sugar is analyzed within fifteen minutes subsequent to the consumption of energy drinks. In addition, 20 gm of quickly digestive carbohydrates are given to the patients to increase the sugar levels. The steps are continued until the level reaches 70mg/ dL.
After the sugar levels increase, the patient should have the meal or at least a snack to ensure stability to the body. It goes a long way in restoring the glycogen level in the body. The level could be low due to low blood glucose or hypoglycemia.
In case the symptoms of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia worsen, the patients may not be able to consume sugar orally. Therefore, it is vital to use intra-venal injections of intravenous glucose or glucagon to accomplish the task. It is vital not to administer food and drinks to the patient suffering from unconsciousness because the food might cause problem to the lungs.
People who are suffering from regular low blood glucose or hypoglycemia should purchase the glucagon kit that would be suitable for health. Patients getting insulin treatment have the kits that help them to avoid the low blood glucose or hypoglycemia. Family members should know where the kit is placed in the time of emergencies.
Treating the Underlying Disease
If low blood glucose or hypoglycemia disease is occurring on a regular basis, it is important to find the root cause. The following are the few possible underlying causes of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia:
- Medicines causing low blood glucose or hypoglycemia should be changed immediately in an impeccable manner. Adjustment of the dosage can also provide relief.
- Treatment for Tumor. Tumour affecting the pancreas are removed with the help of surgery. In few instances, partial elimination itself is essential to provide relief.
Recovery Period/Healing Time for Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia
Total recovery period/healing time from the condition of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia depends on the type of the treatment administered to the patient. Doctors can provide the total time of recovery. One should always consult the doctor before proceeding ahead with any drastic health affecting decisions.
Prevention of Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia
In order to prevent the occurrence of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia among the patients of diabetes the following tips are essential:
- Diabetes Medicines to Prevent Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia: Doctors can provide information to the patients about the medicines causing low blood glucose or hypoglycemia. They also suggest ways to take medicines. Suitable dosages prescribed by the doctors should be taken on a regular basis. Changes in the scheduling of medicines can be made according to the diet and lifestyle.
- Preventing Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia by Using Diet Plan: Dietician plays a very important role in preparing the meal chart for the diabetes patient. It is important for the patient to strictly adhere to the dietary schedule. They need to have regular food and refrain from skipping meals. Some people may like to have snacks before saying good night. They help in preventing the instances of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia. Snacks should only be taken if the dietician recommends the needful.
- Preventing the Occurance of Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia by Choosing Everyday Chores: If physical activity is responsible for the occurrence of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia, use the following steps:
- Blood glucose level needs to be monitored before exercise and if it falls, one should have the snacks in copious amount. The cumulative level should never be less than 100 mg/ dL.
- Change in dosage of medication according to the level of physical work.
- Watching the levels of blood sugar/glucose at regular break of time during extended periods of physical work and consuming food as required.
- The sugar level in the blood needs to be checked on a regular basis if you are performing physical activities. You can also continue monitoring after finishing the exercises.
- Regulating Alcohol Consumption to Prevent Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia: People who are drinking without having food are more likely to suffer from the disease of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia. It can occur after few days of the incident. People who are already taking insulin should not drink because it might lead to complications and even death. While having alcohol, make sure that you are having snacks or even a full blown meal. Usage of alcohol beverage during the meal could help you to ward off low sugar in the blood.
- Management Plan for Diabetes to Prevent Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia: Patients should make sure that the glucose level in blood is within the normal limits. It will help to prevent the associated complications arising from a long-term perspective. The steps would help to prevent the possibility of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia. Patients should consult the doctor in order to ward off the low blood glucose or hypoglycemia level on a regular basis.
But have recurring episodes of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia, consuming regular small meals around the clock is a preventive measure but, this way is not an advisable plan of action for long term. Coordinate with your specialist to identify and treat the hidden reason of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia.
If you are not suffering from the condition of diabetes but suffer from the problems of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia, you should try to have small meals on a regular basis. As a result, the sugar level in the blood may not become low. According to the doctors, the strategy may not work from a long-term perspective. Therefore, they should find the underlying disease that is causing the symptoms and collaborate with patients for treatment.
Complications in Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia
If the issue of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia is not treated, you might feel unconsciousness because the brain is deprived of glucose or blood sugar.
The complications of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia are as follows:
- Instances of seizure is a complication of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia.
Lack of Awareness about Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia is a Complication
If the body becomes habitual to low blood glucose or hypoglycemia, it can result in unawareness symptoms. As a result, the body does not transmit signals to the brain. It increases the probability of severe complications.
Diabetes which is Undertreated Can Also Complicate Low Blood Glucose or Hypoglycemia
People suffering from diabetes can face life-threatening situations in case of low blood glucose or hypoglycemia. People due to low blood glucose or hypoglycemia tend to consume less insulin, however, increase in the quantity of the sugar can also cause damage to the nerves as well as organs. It can also create problems with the blood vessels.