What Causes Bags Under Your Eyes?
Bags under your eyes are basically puffiness or swelling that occurs under the eyes. This is a common sight as it appears with ageing. The tissues present below your eyes tend to get weakened and the fluid present gets accumulated below the eyes making them appear swollen and look like bags under your eye. The usual fat present gets deposited in the lower lids hence making eyes appear puffy, swollen and look like bags under your eyes.
There are few times when this puffiness or bags under your eye may be a sign of a medical ailment. Generally it is more concerned with simple cosmetic reasons. Providing coolness to the eyes results in improving the appearance of bags under your eyes. If the bags under your eyes are still present many cosmetic treatments are available to take help from.
What Causes Bags Under Your Eyes?
With ageing, the tissues present below the eyes loosen up and get weaker. The skin then starts sagging and the usual fat present starts to accumulate under the eyes. Sometimes fluid also gets deposited and the appearance of the area under the eyes starts to look swollen and puffy giving it an appearance of bags under your eyes. Some of the common causes of bags under the eyes include:
- Inadequate Hours Of Sleep: One of the primary causes of getting bags under the eyes are getting insufficient sleep. Every person needs a minimum of 6-8 hours of sleep. If you have been getting less hours of sleep or disturbed sleep frequently then that can cause bags under your eye.
- Changes in Weather: Sometimes when the weather changes, the fluid deposition also changes under the eyes causing bags under your eyes.
- Hormonal Changes: Other reasons such as changes in hormone levels or excessive consumption of salty food could also result in bags under your eyes.
- Skin Problems: Some sort of allergy or occurrence of dermatitis coupled with redness and itchiness could also be the source of the under eye bags.
- Other Causes: In some cases, the development of bags under your eyes is a result of what runs in the family, that is due to hereditary reasons.
The Symptoms and Signs of Bags Under Your Eyes
There could be signs and symptoms that indicate towards development of bags under your eyes. They are dark under-eye circles, sagginess under the eyes and light swelling under the eyes. Most of the time medical attention is not needed but there might be some cases when you need to visit the doctor. The signs when you need a doctor’s visit are:
- Continuous presence of the sagginess under the eye and its severity increment.
- Redness, pain along with itchiness around the eye is experienced.
- The side effects of the bags under your eyes affects another part of the body especially the legs.
There are other reasons that contribute to the bags under your eyes. They are:
- Thyroid disease
How To Get Rid of Bags Under Your Eyes?
Simple changes in lifestyle are enough to get rid of the bags under your eyes. Eye bags are of cosmetic concern and usually don’t require serious medical attention. There are many cosmetic surgical treatments available to get rid of bags under your eye if you are too bothered about the puffiness and it doesn’t seem to disappear by simple solutions.
If the swelling and puffiness in the lower eyelid is coupled with some allergy or irritation then it needs to be consulted with the doctor. Required medications will be prescribed by the medical practitioner.
Therapies to Get Rid of Bags Under Your Eyes
There are many kinds of wrinkle therapy treatments that are available for you to get rid bags under your eyes. They are:
- Laser resurfacing.
- Improvisation of skin tone.
- Tightening of skin.
- Chemical peel off and fillers.
Surgery to Get Rid of Bags Under Your Eyes
Blepharoplasty or eye lid surgery is another way that can help you get rid of the bags under your eyes. In this kind of surgery, the surgeon cuts the excess amount of crease under the eye and distributes the excess amount of fat and sagging skin. With the help of small dissolving stitches the lid’s usual crease is regained.
Advantages of Blepharoplasty or Eye Lid Surgery to Remove Bags Under Your Eyes
There are other advantages of blepharoplasty or eye lid surgery for treating bags under your eyes. They are:
- Reduction of puffiness on the upper eye lids.
- Reduction of excess of fat over the upper lids that disturbs the vision.
- Sagging or baggy lower lids correction.
- Reduction of excess of skin under the lower eye lids
To know about the risks and complications involving the eyelid surgery it is best to ask the doctor. Although some known side effects of blepharoplasty to get rid of bags under your eyes are given below:
- Dryness in eyes.
- Vision blurriness.
- Problems with location of eyelid.
- Problems concerning the tear ducts.
Lifestyle Modifications to Reduce Bags Under Your Eyes
The following simple lifestyle modifications can help reduce bags under your eyes:
- Use of cool compress is a sure shot way to reduce under eye bags or puffiness. Cleaning eyes with cool water and suing damp cool cloth under the eyes for some minutes helps to calm the swelling.
- It is extremely important to get adequate sleep at night. Rescheduling your sleeping hours and getting sound sleep of eight hours is a great way to reduce the puffiness, bags under your eyes and dark circles.
- Sleeping with your head slightly raised than the usual level is also very helpful to reduce bags under your eyes. You could add extra pillow to help raise your head by a few inches. This is helpful in avoiding the fluid to accumulate below your eyes and thus reducing the chances of development of bags under your eyes.
- Allergens must be avoided as much as you can. Allergy medication and talking with your doctor about your allergies can rule out the possibilities of under eye bags development.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bags Under Your Eyes
The following 8 home remedies will help you get rid of bags under your eyes:
- Sliced Potato: Placing sliced potato over closed eyes for fifteen to twenty minutes is a great home remedy to get rid of bags under your eye. Make sure that the raw potato slices touches your under eye areas for its juice and coolness to work effectively.
- Chilled Milk: One of the effective home remedy for under eye bags is to use chilled milk. Dip cotton pads in the chilled milk and place it over your eyes for about half an hour. The water retention causing the puffiness gets treated this way.
- Vitamin E: A simple home remedy of dropping some vitamin E oil in chilled water and dipping cotton pads in this and thereby placing it over your eyes for about twenty minutes helps reduce the puffiness or bags under your eyes to a great extent.
- Cucumbers: Cucumbers are known to reduce puffiness around the eyes naturally and without any harm. They are probably the safest home remedy to adopt to get rid of bags under your eyes. Slice cucumber in circular shape and place two slices on each closed eye. Nap for about twenty to thirty minutes and see the puffiness disappear magically. Its anti-inflammatory qualities are really helpful in reduction of under eye bags.
- Tea Bags: Chilled tea bags are another safe option to be adopted as a home remedy for bags under your eyes. Place two chilled green tea bags over closed eyes for twenty five to thirty minutes and watch the under eye bags disappear in no time. Make sure you refrigerate the tea bags before placing them over the eyes as the coolness will help cure the puffiness to a great extent.
- Chilled Spoon: Ice water and chilled spoons can be placed over closed eyes to give them optimum amount of coolness to help get rid of the puffiness.
- Egg White: Egg White as a home remedy for bags under your eye. Beat egg whites and apply the solution around the eyes. Keep it for about twenty minutes and then rinse the face with cold water. The egg white would help in tightening the skin under the eyes thus making the skin appear firmer.
- Hydration: Hydrating the body well by consuming generous amounts of water also helps in reduction of bags under your eyes naturally.
How to Prevent Getting Bags Under Your Eyes?
Bags under your eyes can be prevented if the right measures are put to use and certain things are taken care of. Oversleeping and lack of nutrition too lead to puffiness so that is one thing that should be taken care of. Other things that can help in prevention of bags under your eyes are given below:
- The right amount of hours or adequate sleep can prevent development of bags under your eyes. Getting sound sleep for eight hours is adequate. This helps in reduction of dark circles also.
- Drinking generous amounts of water is also a great way to get rid of dark circles. Including lots of fluids and water in your diet is a great way to get rid of puffy eyes. This helps in evening out the skin tone and chances of development of under eye bags get reduced to a great extent.
- Cutting on the consumption of salt is also a sure shot way to get rid of the dark under eye bags. Salt helps in retaining water and thus the bags under your eyes tend to develop. Processed foods and foods with large amount of preservatives must also be avoided in order to prevent under eye bags from developing.
- Cool compression is a great option too. Keeping chilled green tea bags over the eyes, keeping cool slices of cucumber and dipping cotton pads in cold rose water and keeping it over the eyes are some of the great ways to get rid of the puffiness. Frozen peas covered in a cloth can be kept over closed eyes for about fifteen minutes in order to get rid of the swelling. Gel eye masks are a great option too.
- Use of cosmetic fillers is another great way of dealing effectively with bags under your eyes. The collagen and elastin tend to break down with age causing puffiness. Hence cosmetic fillers are a great way of getting rid of the bags under your eyes.
Accepting the way you are helps boost your confidence. Some people are prone to developing bags under their eyes and with age the skin cells become weak giving puffy eyes in return. Dark circles also become more evident in such case. So accepting the way you are is very important.