12 No Equipment Leg-Workout At Home
Our legs are very important parts of our body. They can be considered as the foundation of our body from where we generate our power. Legs keep us connected with the ground. So, it is essential for us to do effective trainings for strengthening our legs. Now, you must be worrying if you would require any expensive equipment for your leg-workout! Well, there are several gym equipments for leg-workout; but it is not mandatory to do your leg-workout only by using equipments. In this article we will mention some of the no equipment leg-workouts which can be done at home. Hope this would be beneficial for you if you are looking for some no-equipment leg-workout at home.
Why No-Equipment Leg Workouts Work and Why It Is Easy To Do These Leg Workouts At Home?
Before we talk about some of the no-equipment leg workouts, let us talk why such leg workouts work and why it is actually easy to do no-equipment leg workouts at home. No equipment leg workouts get us in proper tune with the current fitness level of our body by making us to listen our body and pushing us just the right amount. When we use our own body weight, it offers a plethora of modifications, and thus makes almost any of the workout perfect for almost all levels. One more thing why no equipment leg workouts work is that, they not only work on the target the group of leg muscle, but also the entire core even.
Now, let’s come down to the next thing. “Why it is easy to do these leg workouts at home?” working out at home actually eliminates those never-ending excuses that we make for not hitting the gym! Moreover when you workout at home, you can do the exercises any time when you feel the most strength and energy; maybe in the morning, in the afternoon or during the evening hours.
12 No Equipment Leg-Workout At Home:
There are a number of no-equipment leg workouts which can be done at home. Below are some of them that we have mentioned and which would help you make your legs get stronger. However, it is always important to note that proper form in performing the workouts is very much essential. At times, these exercises might feel difficult; and you must immediately stop in case you suffer from severe pain. .
Many workout moves can play havoc with the back, knees and ankles and they are even the high impact exercises. However, squats are absolutely opposite.
Squats have shown to cause no knee damage if they are done correctly.(1) There are even certain studies that show that they can also strengthen your knees.(2) Squats are considered to be “functional exercises” and they make real life chores quite easier.
By performing squats, you improve leg muscles, improve flexibility, improve core stability, mobility and balance is also improved, and also improve the joint and bone health; and all of these together result in a more efficient body for performing the regular activities.
Below are the steps you need to follow for doing squats.
- Stand by placing both your feet at shoulder-width distance from each other, and your toes facing forward.
- Placing both hands on the thighs, gaze upwards and also lift up your chest quite high.
- Now, bend your knees and while placing your body weight on your heels, sit back.
- Slide your hands down the thighs by keeping your head and chest straight.
- Hold this position for about 5 seconds.
- Then, rise up by pressing through your heels, and straighten your hips to reach your starting position.
- Repeat this 15-20 times, for 2-3 sets, in case you are beginners; and do this at least thrice a week to get the best benefit.
Squat jump is a no equipment leg workout which can be done at home. This exercise works your core, hamstrings, quads, glutes, your lower back and also the abdominals.
Read below to know the steps of performing squat jump.
- Stand on the floor with feet at a hip width distance from each other. Here you are required to engage your core by pulling in your belly button and by tucking your tailbone.
- Keeping your knees pointing in a line with your feet; squat until your thighs are absolutely parallel to the floor.
- Now, jump as higher as possible, and allow your knees to bend to 45 degrees while landing.
- Pause in the deep squat for 2 seconds and then once again jump higher.
- Make sure that if you are a beginner or in case you feel pain in the knees then try standard squat and avoid squat jump.
- One more effective form of squat that can be included in your no equipment leg workout at home is the Pause squats. You can feel a mean tightness in both your legs and your butt will also hurt once you finish off with the pause squat.
- For doing this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- While keeping your feet in the position of a standard squat, push both the knees apart. Try and squat as low as possible for you in a comfortable manner without causing any pain or injury.
- Hold this position for a count of 5 or 10. Then drive upward.
Single Leg Squats:
Single leg squats are other type of squats which can be done at home and that would work on your leg muscles as well as your core. These squats are also beneficial for improving balance, work on your quads and hamstrings.
Research conducted at San Diego State University has found that this single-leg squat workout or the single limb squat hold was the move that challenged the gluteus medius or the muscle in hips the most.(3)
Follow the below mentioned steps to perform this single leg squat.
- Kick back your leg and try to sink down until it touches the ground.
- Make sure you are keeping all of the body weight on the front leg.
- Now, drive up and kick the back leg forward.
- Finish all repetitions on the first leg and then switch your legs.
Lunges are also excellent no equipment leg workouts which can be done at home. These moves target the glutes, quads, your hamstrings, calf, back and the core.
Read below to know the steps for doing lunges.
- Keeping your upper body absolutely straight, with your shoulders back and relaxed and both your eyes in front, engage your core.
- Take one step forward with one leg and then lower your hips until your knees form 90 degree angles. Make sure the front knee is above the ankle and the other knees not just touching the ground.
- Come up straight and then repeat the same by switching your legs.
- You can hold weights at your sides for adding more challenge to the lunges.
Skater lunges are the lunges that tone your glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves, and your obliques.
Read below to know the steps for performing skater lunges.
- To begin with, keep left leg behind the right leg in a way that your legs are crossed at your thighs and there is a distance between your feet. The toes of your back foot must be touching the floor.
- Bring the left arm forward and right arm behind.
- For adding momentum, switch the arms and hop sideways by stepping the left foot to the left and crossing your right leg behind your left leg.
- Repeat the same on the alternate side while engaging your core.
Reverse lunges are also great no equipment leg workouts which can be done at home. There are definitely going to make you feel a serious burn.
Below are the steps to perform reverse lunges.
- Begin with both your legs at shoulder-width distance from each other. Take once leg back and come down.
- Now, rise up to stand.
- Kick your leg forward, just like in the single-leg squat.
Lateral lunges are simple still effective leg workouts that work on the glutes, and quads.
For doing lateral lunges you need to read the steps below.
- Laterally reach out one leg from the midline of the body and keep the other leg absolutely straight.
- Sink down your body weight into your leg that you reached out laterally.
One more form of lunge is the curtsy lunge. This is an amazing leg-workout that hits your glutes hard.
Follow the below mentioned steps to perform this exercise.
- Tuck your left leg behind the right leg, and with your legs crossed, reach down. Here you can feel a tight and deep activation of the outer thigh and your glutes.
- Return back to an upright position.
- You can add more difficulty to this exercise by adding weight.
- Do the repetitions on one side and then do the same by switching your legs.
Calf raises can also help you strengthen your leg muscle. This exercise strengthens your calf muscles, which include the soleu and tibialis anterior, and gastreocnemius.
Read the steps below to know the procedure to perform calf raises.
- Stand upright with your legs hip-width apart and your tailbone tucked in.
- Engage your core here.
- Lift your heels until you are standing on the tip of your toes. Distribute your weight on the feet balls while making sure that your legs are straight.
- Remain in this position for 2 seconds and then lower back slowly onto the heels.
There is another no equipment leg-workout that you can do at home. Pylometric jumps are the exercises that help you strengthen your leg muscles.
Below are some of the steps to perform this workout.
- Start from the position of the squat. Make sure you keep your back absolutely straight, your head up and shoulders back.
- Deeply squat down in a way that your thighs are below parallel to the ground.
- Move upward with your thigh and your hip muscles, while exploding into a jump that lifts you off the floor. As you rise in the jump, swing the arms forward that would add momentum to the jump. Try to make your hands reach the ceiling.
- Land on your feet on the floor, while lowering your body to the starting squat position before you leap upward again immediately.
Foot Over Toe:
Foot over toe is one more no equipment leg workout at home. It is in fact one of the simplest exercise you can ever do at home.
Follow the steps below.
- Sit on the floor with the back against a wall and your legs kept straight in front.
- Now, squeeze the quads tightly and pick your heels up off the ground.
- Raise the heel of any one foot as high as possible over the toe of your other leg. Make sure that this leg does not go back to the floor,
- Your range of motion in this workout increases as your mobility increase.
It is now known to us that there are a lot of no equipment leg-workouts that can be effectively done at home. However, as mentioned earlier, it is always important that you perform these exercises correctly so as to help reduce the risk of any injury. If you require any assistance getting started with the squats, lunges or other leg workouts, it is good that you seek help from a certified personal trainer to watch you or supervise you while you are performing your moves. It is even important that you check with your physician before beginning any fitness move, especially if you suffer from any ill health condition.