Treatment & Alternative Therapies for Chronic Daily Headaches
Treatment for Chronic Daily Headaches
A proper and detailed diagnosis and treatment may cure chronic daily headaches. The treatment primarily focuses on reducing the pain first and then acting on the core cause of chronic daily headaches. As per the frequency of occurrence of headaches and its seriousness, the treatment is usually prescribed.
The treatments for chronic daily headaches usually recommended by the doctor are:
- Antidepressants are usually prescribed in chronic daily headaches. These drugs treat anxiety, stress and agony in the person. It also cures sleeping disorders and help getting a sound sleep. Serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) fluoxetine and Prozac or Sarafem are mostly prescribed in such condition. A deep relaxation causes fifty percent of cure in this disease. Tricyclic antidepressants like ortriptyline (Pamelor) are widely used to treat chronic headaches.
- Beta blockers like metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL), atenolol (Tenormin) and propranolol (Inderal, Innopran XL) are effective in controlling the blood pressure of the sufferer. Thus episodic migraines can be effectively controlled.
- Anti-seizure medications like topiramate (Topamax, Qudexy XR, others), gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise) and divalproex sodium (Depakote) are prescribed to prevent migraines and chronic daily headaches.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like naproxen sodium (Anaprox, Naprelan) are helpful to keep the sufferer away from pain killers.
- OnabotulinumtoxinA (Botox) injections are great pain relievers. It is beneficial for people who have been suffering from really long.
Some chronic daily headaches are still uncontrollable and cannot be treated by any medication.
Coping Tips for Chronic Daily Headaches
Here are a few tips to guide you on how to cope up with chronic daily headaches and let it not affect your work and relationships:
- Take psychotherapy counseling to manage the stress you are undergoing. Chronic daily headaches harm the normal behavior of the sufferer a lot since he has to bear the pain. This affects the workability of the person as well as strains the personal relationship. Psychotherapy counseling is helpful to recover from this mental agony which makes the situation even worst.
- Take proper care of yourself and live with a free spirit. Do not let chronic daily headaches affect your behavior towards people. Live full and with greater content.
- Pay attention to the pain that is affecting your health. Your behavior towards your friends may turn negative but you certainly have to work on it.
- Talk with the people who are affected with the same chronic daily headaches. They can guide you with their personal experience.
Prevention for Chronic Daily Headaches
Taking care of self is the best way to keep away from chronic daily headache:
- Avoid doing things which causes headaches to you. It could be watching horror movies or listening to loud music, watching sports etc... Refrain yourself from doing all those stuffs which may cause headache. You can maintain a diary to keep a track of all those headache triggers and avoid them.
- Avoid consuming any medicine without consulting the doctor can prevent chronic daily heaaches. This habit triggers the possibility of headache and can cause severe head pain to you. Also over use or over dose of any medicine is harmful.
- Sleep for a minimum of 7 to 8 hours every day. Enough sleep is abundantly required for a relaxed mind. Deep sleep often relieves us from the headache without any medication.
- Never ever skip a meal. Even at the busiest hours you should at least have the time to eat your meals timely. Do not eat fast foods or food which contains caffeine. For people who are obese, it is necessary to lose weight.
- Regular physical activity like work outs, swimming, cycling, is necessary for a healthier mind and body.
- Try stress reducing techniques like deep breathing, meditation, yoga, tai chi etc. to keep yourself away from stress. Be positive and live a positive life.
- Reduce caffeine consumption from your daily intake. Though a few of the headache medications contain some level of caffeine due to its pain reducing quality but it can aggravate headaches as well. Try to limit the intake of caffeine in your diet.
Alternative Therapies for Chronic Daily Headaches
The complementary alternative therapies for chronic daily headaches are beneficial for many people to get relief from head pain. Do a little research before applying such therapies. Some of these are:
- Acupuncture for Chronic Daily Headaches: Acupuncture is proven to be helpful from a long period. It includes a needle prick in different portions of the skin. It reduces the intensity of the pain and prevents its frequent occurrence.
- Biofeedback is another way of reducing the occurrence of chronic daily headaches. The heart rate, muscle tension and the temperature of the skin are regulated in this therapy to get rid of the pain.
- Massage Therapy for Chronic Daily Headaches: Head massages reduce the pain, stress and provide deep relaxation. The tight muscles are relaxed and thus the neck, head and shoulder gets comfort.
- Intake more of vitamins and minerals to get relief from severe migraine. It can also be controlled by riboflavin (vitamin B-2).
- Coenzyme Q10 supplements and oral magnesium sulfate supplements are much effective in reducing the headache attacks in people. However use of riboflavin (vitamin B-2), butterbur or feverfew is strictly prohibited during pregnancy.
- The occipital nerves are stimulated through external stimulants to ease the head pain which is considered investigational.
Consult your general physician before trying these therapies at home.