Therapeutic Exercise in Chiropractic Treatment: Types, Goals, Benefits
What is Therapeutic Exercise in Chiropractic Treatment?
Therapeutic exercise is defined by DeLateur as bodily movement, which is designed to improve musculoskeletal function, correct impairment and to maintain a sense of well-being. It varies from specific activities which are restricted to certain muscles or parts of the body, to general and energetic activities that restores a recuperating patient to top physical condition. Therapeutic exercise is done to enhance flexibility, increase functional and aerobic capacity along with strengthening.
Which Are The 3 Types of Therapeutic Exercise?
Therapeutic Exercises Fall Into The Following Major Classification:
- Endurance Training- Exercises that help you improve your endurance. Example: Walking, Cycling, Swimming, Running etc. Endurance training can also be performed by non-athletes for general fitness, improved stamina, weight loss etc.
- Resistance Training- This type of exercise is performed using equipments like dumbbells, barbells, your own body weight while performing push-ups, pull-ups, dips etc to increase the tone and size of muscles and strength.
- Flexibility Training- This includes Stretching exercises which in turns helps with range of motion of the body. Regular stretching exercise can go a long way in avoiding getting back pain and other joint related problems.
Goals and Benefits of Therapeutic Exercise
- Stretching exercises help release of stiff and contracted muscles, fascia, and tendon.
- Improves Body Posture. Poor body posture is cause of back pain among many individuals around the world.
- Improving Blood Circulation- Regular endurance, resistance and stretching exercises improves blood circulation.
- Mobilizing the Joints- This helps in reducing joint pain, improving joint motion and can stimulate synovial fluid.
- Improving Coordination: It is important to have all your body systems work together for a healthy life. Regular exercise helps in achieving this.
- Enhancing Respiratory Capacity- Regular exercise improves lung function and provides body with more oxygen.
- Reducing stiffness/rigidity. Improving muscle stiffness and rigidity will go a long way in eliminating pain complaints.
- Reduces Stress- Regular exercise goes a long way in reducing stress and promoting relaxation.
- Improving body balance- This helps in preventing accidental falls and causing body injuries
- Improving the exercise performance and endurance.
- Enhancing muscle strength. Also try to achieve and maintain maximal voluntary contractile force (MVC).
- Permitting and improving ambulation.
- Keeps Blood Pressure in Check- Regular exercise reduces the build-up of plaque in arteries and improves good cholesterol and reduces bad cholesterol.
- Promotes Stronger And Healthier Bones and Muscles.
- Helps You Lose Weight- Being overweight is a leading cause for joint pain. Regular therapeutic exercise can go a long way in burning those extra calories and reducing pressure on joints.
- Improves Sleep- Getting a good sleep can be the best stress buster. Regular therapeutic exercise promotes good sleep.