Noonan syndrome is a disorder that affects many parts of the body. it is a genetic defect and is one of the rare diseases. It affects 1 in about 2500 live births. It cannot be overturned or eliminated. However, the symptoms can be decreased or managed with the help of early diagnosis and efficient treatment. (1,2)
What To Eat & Avoid When You Have Noonan Syndrome?
Noonan syndrome is a genetic deformity and it cannot be cured or reversed and Since Noonan syndrome is a genetic deformity, it cannot be treated with the help of dietary discretion alone. However, diet plays an important role in the management of Noonan syndrome symptoms and improving the quality of life. Let us see how-
What To Eat When You Have Noonan Syndrome?
Weight And Nutrition- Kids having Noonan syndrome have many eating disabilities. They may have issues with chewing or swallowing. Hence, they tend to gain poor weigh and poor nutrition. Keeping this in mind, it is important to design their diet in such a way that they can chew or swallow easily and their weight and nutrition gain is proper. A dietician or a nutritionist can help you achieve this, they can design a diet tailor-made according to your kid’s health conditions and requirements.
Heart-Healthy Food- Heart conditions are a major concern and threat to Noonan syndrome. The prognosis and longevity in Noonan syndrome mostly depend upon the existence and seriousness of the heart conditions. Thus, a heart-healthy diet would largely help in keeping the heart-healthy and strong. Limiting unhealthy fats and eating healthier ones, having fresh fruits and vegetables in ample quantities in the daily diet and including omega- 3 fatty acids in the diet can help in contributing to a heart-healthy diet.
Kidney-Friendly Diet- Kids affected by Noonan syndrome have a higher risk of having compromised kidneys and genitals. In order to increase the efficiency of the kidneys and keeping them healthy, a kidney-friendly diet is most recommended. The diet that includes just the right amounts of protein and not too much can be beneficial. Your nutritionist can guide you according to the specific requirements of your child.
Hydration- Kids having Noonan syndrome may be forgetful in drinking the right amount of fluids throughout the day. It is important to remind them to drink plenty of water throughout the day and make sure they stay hydrated. Proper hydration can ensure the efficient functioning of all systems and reduce stress on organs. It also helps in quicker healing as compared to a dehydrated or an under-hydrated body
What To Avoid When You Have Noonan Syndrome?
As it is to be taken care of what to eat when you have Noonan syndrome, it should be known what to avoid when you have this condition.
- Avoid feeding junk and unhealthy food to the kid. It will result in an unhealthy weight gain and poor nutrition in them.
- Avoid feeding them foods that they cannot easily chew, swallow or digest. They may face a lot of eating and digestion related difficulties. It is best to provide them with a simple, easy to chew and digest food, for their safety, proper weight and nutrition gain
- Avoid giving them foods with caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant and can cause havoc with a number of systems in our body.
- Avoid giving alcohol to adults having Noonan syndrome. Kidneys of those that have this condition are affected and alcohol may further worsen the problems. (1) (2)
Noonan syndrome cannot be eliminated or reversed. It can be managed with the help of early diagnosis and a proper treatment approach. Though foods cannot cure Noonan syndrome, certain food habits when followed can act as an adjuvant to the conventional treatment methods and provide better results in the management of the condition
- Can You Detect Noonan Syndrome Before Birth & Is It More Common In Males Or Females?
- Is Noonan Syndrome Recessive Or Dominant?