GABA agonist - Also known as Neurontin, Gabarone, Fanatrex, Gralise and Nupentin. Mechanism action as an analgesicis not known.
Several pharmacological actions were observed such as GABA agonist, interaction with voltage gated calcium channel and it halts the formation of new synapses.
Gabapentine is very effective in 1/3rd of fibromyalgia and chronic neuropathic pain. Neuropathic pain caused by cancer, HIV, radiation treatment and complex regional pain syndrome is treated with gabapentin.
B) Pregabalin - Also known as Lyrica.
Calcium channel - Binds to voltage dependent calcium channel and decrease release of neurotransmitter such as glutamate, noradrenaline, substance P, and calcitonin gene related peptide and gamma aminobutyric acid.
FDA approved - Lyrica became the first medication approved specifically for treating fibromyalgia. Nerve pain-Lyrica may work by blocking nerve pain in patients with fibromyalgia.
Flexible dosage - Lyrica has advantages of flexible dosing that can be adjusted according to persisting symptoms.
Report side effects to Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) Contact information: www.fda.gov/safety/MedWatcher or call 1-800-332-1088 (USA), 1-866-234-2345 (Canada).
- Inform your doctor immediately
- Go to nearest ER immediately if you cannot get hold of your doctor.
- See list of side effects under description of each medications.
- If side effects remain consistent until next dose or intolerable contact your physician or go to ER.
- Signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Read direction carefully
- If you do not understand any part of instruction discuss with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Follow the instructions carefully. Take the pills or liquid as prescribed. Do not increase or decrease frequency or quantity on your own judgment; you will be exposed to side effects or withdrawal symptoms.
- Call 911, immediate resuscitation is most important initial step in treating life-threatening symptoms.
- Call poison center 1-800 222 1222. Call after initial treatment is resume.
Do not share medications with your friend or relatives. Each individual has different history of allergies, drug interaction, drug shopping, addiction and other general health concern. Physician must prescribe medications after detail history and examination. Small error may be life threatening.