Clonazepam affects certain chemicals in the brain and is also a seizure medicine. It is usually known as an anti-epileptic drug. The drug clonazepam is used to treat some types of seizure disorders like absence seizures both in adults and children. Clonazepam is used to treat panic disorder in adults.
Important information About the Clonazepam
Clonazepam should not be used if you have severe liver disease. It is also harmful to use the drug if you are allergic to Valium or such types of medicine.
If you are suffering from depression or worsening symptoms of the same then no need to administer the drug, yourself, instead seek doctor’ advice.
There are certain things that you need to know about this drug. While taking it, consumption of alcohol is prohibited. The drug clonazepam, when taken repeatedly, can make the person habituated to the drug. It is advised not to share the drug with another person. The medicine should be kept in a place that is out of reach for others. In many parts of the world, selling/giving away the drug without any prescription is illegal.
How the Drug Clonazepam Works?
The drug clonazepam acts on the nerve cells, it helps to calm down abnormal electrical activity in the brain. The medicine clonazepam class is known as benzodiazepines.
Effectiveness of Clonazepam
The drug clonazepam is effective for short-term relief, especially, in some anxiety disorders, like panic disorder. It is used in the treatment of seizure disorders.
- It is better not to take the Clonazepam for a period longer than 9 weeks especially without consulting the doctor. Avoid discontinuing the drug suddenly without the advice of the doctor.
- Swallow the tablets (Clonazepam) with water.
- The (Clonazepam) tablet dissolves rapidly with saliva. It can then be swallowed with/without water.
- If you suffer from mood changes, experience depression then seeks advice from your doctor.
- Avoid using the drug if you are allergic to such class of medicines.
- Avoid starting or discontinuing the drug during pregnancy without discussing with your provider.
The response and effectiveness is excellent. The drug starts functioning in about 20-60 minutes. The peak effects are reached in about 1-4 hours.
Side Effects of Clonazepam
The usual side effects of clonazepam are feeling depressed or tired; dizziness, drowsiness; issues with balance/coordination, memory problems.
Get immediate medical help if you develop signs of allergic reaction to the drug for instance hives, breathing difficulty breathing or swelling of face, tongue, lips, or throat.
Report new/worsening symptoms to your doctor. They can be mood swings or changes in behaviour, anxiety, trouble in sleeping, panic attacks. Take medical help if you feel impulsive, agitated, irritable, hostile, restless, aggressive, hyperactive (physically or mentally), depressed.
Seek to advise from your doctor immediately if you have:
- Severe drowsiness;
- New seizures;
- Unusual mood swings or changes in behaviour;
- Aggression, confusion, hallucinations;
- Weak breathing;
- Strong heartbeats or
- Involuntary eye movements.
Other side effects of clonazepam include the following:
- Drowsiness, unsteadiness when you are standing. You may experience an increase in the risk of falls.
- Clonazepam can affect reaction skills, it can affect a person’s ability to operate machinery, or drive. Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid using the drug clonazepam if you are suffering from a severe liver disease.
- There are other ill effects of the drug clonazepam and that includes body aches, pains, headaches, palpitations, exhaustion and memory disturbance.
- There are cases where the drug clonazepam caused physical or emotional dependence.
- Withdrawal symptoms (including tremor, convulsions, vomiting, cramps, insomnia, sweating) and these may occur with sudden discontinuation; slowly reduce the drug dose under medical supervision.
- Women should avoid breastfeeding their baby while taking clonazepam.
- For the elderly, lower doses of the drug should be administered.
What is the Dosage Suggestion for Clonazepam?
Usual Adult Dosage of the drug for Seizure Prophylaxis
1.5 mg orally administered daily divided into 3 times a day; the dosage of clonazepam can be increased by 0.5 mg to 1 mg after every 3 days until the seizures are totally controlled. Maximum dosage is 20 mg /day administered orally.
The use of more than one anticonvulsants may result in the increase of adverse depressing effects of the drug. Use the drug in case of myoclonic seizures
Clonazepam Recommended Adult Dosage for Panic Disorder
Initial dose of clonazepam: 0.25 mg orally twice daily
Maintenance dose of clonazepam: 1 mg orally daily
Maximum dose of clonazepam: 4 mg orally daily.
The dosage of the drug clonazepam for most patients can be increased by 1 mg/day can be made after every 3 days, according to medical reports.
- The dosage of clonazepam may be increased by increments of 0.125 mg to 0.25 mg 2 times daily after every 3 days until the panic disorder are brought totally under control.
- Whatever the dosage of the drug is can be administered at bedtime.
- If required then treatment should be discontinued slowly, The decrease can be 0.125 mg 2 times daily after every 3 days, until the medicine is completely withdrawn.
The drug clonazepam is used in the treatment of panic disorder, with/without agoraphobia.
Usual Pediatric Dosage of Clonazepam for Seizure Prophylaxis:
For patients up to 10 years of age/30 kg of body weight: 0.01 mg/kg daily to 0.05 mg/kg daily administered orally in 2 or 3 divided doses.
For those who are above 10 years/over 30 kg: Adult dosage is as follows
- Dosage of clonazepam should be increased by 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg after every third day until the daily maintenance dose is reached and unless the seizures are controlled.
- The daily dosage of clonazepam should be divided into three equal parts.
- If dosages are not divided equally, the largest dose should be administered before retiring.
The drug clonazepam helps in the treatment of myoclonic seizures.
It is reported that the drug Clonazepam can reduce the frequency of seizures. Clonazepam can be effectively used in treatment of short-term seizure or panic disorder. It is important to keep in consideration that the drug can cause dependence, withdrawal symptoms after discontinuation.