Usage of kombiglyze XR (extended release) is prohibited in case you have diabetic ketoacidosis or severe kidney disease. It is advisable to call the physician for treatment with insulin.
Certain people develop lactic acidosis while intake of metformin. Early signs might get worsen in course of time and this condition can be grave. Do not consume kombiglyze XR (extended release) and get urgent medical aid even with mild signs like weakness or muscle pain, stomach pain, nausea, breathing trouble and feeling very tired or weak.
How Effective is Kombiglyze XR?
Kombiglyze XR (extended release) encompasses a mix of saxagliptin and metformin. Saxagliptin and Metformin are diabetes meds which help in controlling the sugar levels in the blood. Metformin effectively reduces the glucose or sugar generation inside the liver and reduces glucose absorption by your intestines. The chemical saxagliptin effectively regulates the insulin levels produced by your body after having food.
Kombiglyze XR (extended release) is effectively used simultaneously with exercise and diet for improving blood-sugar control with type two diabetes.
Type one diabetes cannot be treated with kombiglyze XR (extended release).
Before Consuming Kombiglyze XR
Use of kombiglyze XR (extended release) is prohibited in case one is allergic to saxagliptin (Onglyza) or metformin, or if one has diabetic ketoacidosis or severe kidney diseases. It is advisable to consult the physician for treatment with insulin.
Certain people get a serious problem known as lactic acidosis during intake of metformin. This is more likely when you have kidney or liver disease, a stroke or heart attack, congestive heart failure, a bad infection in case you are sixty five years or older if you are not hydrated enough or consume excess alcohol.
To ensure kombiglyze XR (extended release) is safe for you, inform prior to your physician about:
- Liver disease;
- Kidney disease or your kidney function checkup may be needed before you intake this medicine;
- Heart disease;
- High triglycerides which is a type of fat deposition in the blood
- A record of alcohol problem; or
- Above 80 years and did not had kidney function checked in recent times.
You will have to temporarily stop intake of kombiglyze XR (extended release) if you need a surgery, any kind of CT scan or x-ray with a dye inserted into the veins.
It is important for you inform your physician if you are planning to become pregnant or pregnant at the time of treatment as kombiglyze XR (extended release) could harm the unborn baby.
It is unknown that saxagliptin and metformin can harm a nursing baby or go into the breast milk. Inform your physician if you are breast-feeding a newborn.
Anyone below 18 years of age cannot use the kombiglyze XR (extended release) as it is not approved.
What is the Recommended Dosage of Kombiglyze XR?
General Adult Dosage for Type 2 Diabetes:
Particularize kombiglyze XR (extended release) dosage based on the current regimen of the patient, tolerability and effectiveness. In order to reduce gastrointestinal side effects, steady dosage titration of metformin it is advisable to have a steady dosage titration of metformin.
Usual kombiglyze XR (extended release) dosage: Orally one tablet in a day along with evening food
Maximal dosage: metformin 2000 milligrams saxagliptin 5 milligrams- orally one time a day
Maximal dosage along with concomitant stable CYP450 3A4/5 inhibitors: metformin 1000 milligrams saxagliptin 2.5 milligrams orally one time a day.
Individuals who are not given metformin currently: Initial dosage metformin 500 milligrams- saxagliptin 5 milligrams orally one time every day.
Individuals who gets metformin as part of their current treatment plan: Initial kombiglyze XR (extended release) dosage: saxagliptin 5 milligrams plus the dosage of metformin which is being taken already or the nearest therapeutically appropriate dosage.
- Individuals who require saxagliptin 2.5 milligrams per day and are either metformin-naïve or need a dosage of metformin higher than 1000 milligrams per day must use the discrete components.
- Following a change from an immediate-release of metformin to an extended release of metformin, glycemic control has to be monitored closely along with adjustments in dosage accordingly.
- When combined with insulin or sulfonylurea, a lesser dosage of insulin or sulfonylurea can be considered for reducing the hypoglycemia risk.
- Note: The metformin – saxagliptin combination products are available internationally which has metformin as immediate-release; saxagliptin-metformin products that contain IR or immediate-release metformin have to be dosed two times a day.
- Usage: In addition to exercise and diet for improving glycemic control in people with diabetes type 2 during treatment with metformin and saxagliptin is apt.
What are the Side Effects of Kombiglyze XR?
It is advisable to stop intake of kombiglyze XR (extended release) and consult your doctor immediately if you have signs of pancreatitis: vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite, extreme pain in upper part of the stomach that gradually spreads to your back and rapid heartbeats.
Certain people develop lactic acidosis during intake of metformin. Early signs might get worse in course of time and the condition can be grave. Do not take kombiglyze XR (extended release) and get urgent medical help even if you have mild side effects of kombiglyze XR (extended release):
- Weakness or muscle pain;
- Breathing trouble;
- Slow or uneven heart rate.
- Feeling light-headed, dizzy, very weak or tired;
- Cold or numbness in your legs and arms;
- Tired, light headed, weak or drowsiness
- Vomiting, nausea, stomach pain.
Get immediate medical assistance if you experience any of these severe side effects of kombiglyze XR (extended release):
- A strong autoimmune reaction say blisters, itching, breakdown of external layer of skin;
- Strong or ongoing pain in the joints;
- Burning or pain when you pass urine; or
- Problems in heart say shortness of breath even when sleeping, weak or feeling tired, quick weight gain, and swelling particularly in your legs, feet.
General side effects of kombiglyze XR (extended release) may include:
- Mild nausea, diarrhea;
- Cold signs like stuffy or runny nose, sore throat, sneezing.
- Headache is also a side effect of kombiglyze XR (extended release).