People who are allergic to vardenafil must not take Staxyn. It also carries a strong reaction of sudden drop in blood pressure. There are certain medications such as vardenafil and riociguat (Adempas) that must not be taken along with Staxyn. All other drugs such as isosorbide mononitrate, isosorbide dinitrate and nitroglycerin that contain nitrite and nitrate must be avoided if you are taking Staxyn.
How Effective is Staxyn?
Staxyn or vardenafil effectively helps in increasing the blood flow in particular areas of the body by relaxing the walls of blood vessels. Staxyn or vardenafil is also used to effectively rectify erectile dysfunction or impotency in the form of disintegrating tablets.
While taking orally disintegrating tablets of staxyn or vardenafil, you need to be taking into account the risk of sudden reduction in blood pressure. You must not take Staxyn in combination with some particular medications including nitroglycerin and riociguat (Adempas).
Stop using this medicine and get emergency medical help if you have sudden vision loss.
Be careful about some of the side effects of taking Staxyn such as unreasonable erection of penis that can persist for as long as 4 hours along with pain. It can even make you feel dizzy during sexual activity. You may also experience pain, numbness and tingling in jaw, arms and chest during sexual act. Report such symptoms immediately to your doctor and seek necessary advice and treatment.
Before Taking Staxyn
Keep your doctor informed about any of the following conditions to make sure that Staxyn is safe for you:
- Irregular heart beat and heart problems
- Any family or personal history of long qt syndrome;
- Any instance of heart attack in the recent past or a history of heart problems such as congestion, stroke and heart failure
- Abnormal blood pressure, low or high
- Liver disorders
- Kidney disorders including a condition where dialysis is required
- Ulcers in stomach
- Any sort of bleeding disorder including hemophilia
- Any of the disorders related to blood cells including leukemia, multiple myeloma and sickle cell anemia
- Problems with vision or hearing
- A special type of disorder related to eyes called as retinitis pigmentosa even if it inherited
- If you are asked to stay away from indulging in any type of sexual act with your partner or any woman
- Any type of unusual change in shape of penis.
A few people have also reported loss of vision after taking staxyn or vardenafil due to the lack of proper supply of blood to optic nerve. However, it is mostly seen in individuals who are taking any drugs like Viagra or vardenafil. People who have any pre-existing eye problems or risk factors that may lead to eye problems are at higher risk of losing their vision. These risk factors include high cholesterol level, smoking, high blood pressure, heart disorders, coronary artery disease and older age above fifty years.
What is the Recommended Dosage of Staxyn?
General Adult Dose of Staxyn for Erectile Dysfunction:
Initially, the dosage of staxyn or vardenafil must be kept to 10 milligrams once in a day orally. The timing of the dosage must be about an hour before indulging in any type of sexual activity. The dosage can be changed gradually to as high as 10 milligrams or reduced by 5 milligrams depending on the response and tolerance. The maximum dosage must not exceed 20 milligrams per day.
Patients on Stable Alpha Blocker Therapy:
- The initial dosage must be kept to 5 milligrams per day taken orally.
- To monitor the response of the dosage, you would need sexual stimulation. You must take special care of the gap that needs to be maintained between the dosages if you are taking alpha-blockers.
- Also, such patients must not take Staxyn disintegrating tablet.
- Staxyn or vardenafil is used to effectively treat erectile dysfunction.
General Geriatric Dose of Staxyn for Erectile Dysfunction:
For the people with age of 65 years or more, the initial dosage of staxyn or vardenafil must be kept to 5 milligrams per day. The dosage must be taken once per day about an hour before indulging in any sexual activity.
To monitor the response of the dosage, you would need sexual stimulation.
What are the Side Effects of Staxyn?
The use of staxyn or vardenafil can lead various types of side effects such as swelling on lips, face, throat and tongue, difficulty in breathing, hives etc. The use of staxyn or vardenafil must be stopped immediately if you notice any signs of loss of vision.
Some other common side effects of staxyn or vardenafil are as follows:
- Vision problems
- Unable to hear properly or ringing sound in your ears
- Symptoms of heart attack including pain in chest, sweating, nausea, pain in shoulders and jaws are all side effects of staxyn or vardenafil.
- Unusual heartbeat
- Difficulty in breathing
- Feeling of lightheadedness
- Painful erection or penis that may last for up to 4 hours
- Swelling in feet, ankles and hands.