Salicylic acid is one of the most crucial components required for treating acne or blemishes. Some of the people consider it bad for the skin because if not taken in right concentration then can cause severe side effects. Salicylic acid is an exfoliating agent which is somewhat similar to aspirin which helps in curing infection and redness caused due to clogging in the opened pores. This acid is highly effective in treating pain caused because of acne or blemishes.
Is Salicylic Acid Bad For Your Skin?
Some consider salicylic acid bad for the skin because if not taken in right amount then can result in serious side effects. Salicylic acid is a tropical medication which is very effective for treating psoriasis, blemishes and few types of warts. Further, it is also used for dissolving the upper layer of skin to bring out the fresh inner layer.
- Salicylic acid is good for treating acne. Product having salicylic acid helps in cleaning the clogged pores, thus preventing pimples, whiteheads and blackheads. On constant use the skin starts to look clean and healthy. If patient stop using the treatment then pores starts to get clogged causing acne and pimples. Patients using treatment using salicylic acid should first ensure that the proportion of acid present in the treatment is adequate. This is so because if the proportion is not adequate then it will disturb the PH level of skin causing adverse effect on skin health.
- Salicylic acid is excellent is treating psoriasis. Psoriasis is a type of skin problem in which skin starts to turn red and dry. In this case salicylic acid helps in removing flakes and makes the scales soft and smooth. NPF i.e. National Psoriasis Foundation recommends use of this acid for curing all types of Psoriasis symptoms. Before opting for this treatment it is better to discuss about the same with a specialist doctor. Skin is a very complex and sensitive part of the body, hence, doctor will first analyze the problem and then will recommend the best solution.
- Salicylic acid helps in eliminating warts. Researches have proved that salicylic acid is very effective in treating some types of warts. It is available in three different forms, like plaster, liquid medication and foot soak. Patient who suffer from severe acne problem, in them constant use of salicylic acid helps in removing upper hard layer of skin until the pimples get cleared. One thing that need to considered while using this acid is do not use this medication on warts developed on or near genital region, oral warts or wards have hair.
- Irritation can also be reduced by using salicylic acid. As there are always two faces of coin similarly there are always both good effect and side effects of any medication. Some of the common side effects of use of salicylic acid are redness, burning sensation and irritation. The side effects can exaggerate if any of the medicine containing alcohol or benzol peroxide is taken along with this. In some cases doctors recommend to use less quantity of medication in the initial stage and later when patient gets use to it then slowly increase the dosage. As discussed above salicylic acid is very similar to aspirin.
- Photosensitivity can be reduced by using salicylic acid. It is said that patient who are on treatment containing salicylic acid become more sensitive to sun light. This means when out in direct light, the possibility of getting sun burn and other skin problems increases drastically. Hence, it is always suggested to use good SPF cream before moving out in sun.
Although no prominent evidence is present that shows the side effect of Salicylic Acid on nursing mother, pregnant women and kids but still it is suggested to inform the doctor if you are pregnant or planning a baby soon. Also, mother who are breast feeding their babies should also inform this to their doctor so that prescribe medicine should not affect the baby.