Side Effects, Dos & Don’ts of Minoxidil
Oral application of Minoxidil on scalp can help grow hair in adult men and women dealing with hairloss or baldness. One starts seeing positive results related to hair growth after using Minoxidil for a couple of months but the results last as long as one continues to use minoxidil. Once you stop using Minoxidil, you will start lsong all the hair that was gained because of its use.
Though Minoxidil is found to be useful in case of hair loss, there are also some side effects associated with its use. Read below and know about the side effects, and also know about the Dos and Don’ts of Minoxidil.
Side Effects Of Minoxidil:
Along with its benefits, a medicine may also cause some unwanted side effects. It is also the same in case of Minoxidil. Although it is not obvious that everyone would experience the side effects and also not every side effect of Minoxidil is serious, it is always essential for you to check with your doctor in case you experience any of the following side effects due to Minoxidil.
There may be burning and stinging, after taking Minoxidil. Inflammation along with redness or a rash may also develop, which could be a type of mild allergic reaction, known as Contact dermatitis.
One of the most known side effect of Minoxidil is that it causes scalp dryness and irritation. So, you must remember that your scalp may be sensitive for 1-2 weeks as it gets adjusted to the drug. You may use Nizoral shampoo for flaky scalp and for dryness of your scalp, you can use a light-weight conditioner, every other day; as this replenish the hair with moisture.
Increased Hair Loss:
There can also be another side effect of Minoxidil; and that is, an increased hair loss. In such a case, you can use an amazing hair loss concealer, called Topikk, that is made of Keratin hair fibers that are statically charged that stick to existing hairs so as to give you a thicker head of hair.
There are users who have reported the growth of some unwanted hair upon the use of Minoxidil. However, be informed that these are rare cases and any excessive hair growth in both, women and men will disappear after discontinuing the Minoxidil drug.
Some Rare and Less Common Side Effects of Minoxidil:
- Acne at the site of application is one of the rare side effects on Minoxidil
- There may be a burning of the scalp with the use of Minoxidil.’
- Swelling and redness of the skin and face could be another rare side effect.
Apart from the above rare side effects of Minoxidil, there may also be some other side effects like dizziness, fainting, chest pain, irregular heartbeats, blurred vision, lightheadedness, headache, rapid weight gain and flushing. These are the signs and symptoms that too much of Minoxidil has been absorbed into the body.
Dos & Don’ts of Minoxidil:
Dos of Using Minoxidil:
- Do apply exactly 1 ML of Minoxidil, twice every day. Using less or using more is not advisable.
- Do wash your hair regularly with a gentle volumizing shampoo so as to effectively clean the scalp and eliminate the build-up of oils and conditioners, which can prevent Minoxidil from revitalizing your hair follicles. You can also make use of a mild dandruff shampoo, twice a week so as to help keep a healthy scalp condition.
- Do use a wide-tooth comb while combing wet or damp hair, so as to avoid hair breakage.
- Do wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after applying the drug, so as to avoid getting it on your face or eyes.
- Make sure that while applying Minoxidil topical solution, your hair and scalp are completely dry. Also, ensure the Minoxidil to completely dry for 2-4 hours after applying it.
- Do use appropriate doses of this medicine. It must be noted that you follow your doctor’s orders or the directions provided on the label. If you miss a dose of Minoxidil, apply it once again as soon as possible. However, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule, if it is almost time for your next dose.
- Do store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature and away from heath, light and moisture. Also keep away from children and fire or flame.
Don’ts of Using Minoxidil:
- Do not use more of Minoxidil or do not use it more often than your doctor has ordered. Also, do not apply Minoxidil to other body parts.
- Do not use any other skin product on the same area of the skin on which you use Minoxidil. Minoxidil should not be used 24 hours before or after the hair treatment.
- Do not use a hairdryer for drying the scalp after you apply Minoxidil solution. This may make the Minoxidil treatment less effective.
- Do not shampoo your hair for 4 hours, once you applied Minoxidil.
- Do not keep outdated medicine.
So, we now know about the side effects of Minoxidil and also some dos and don’t of Minoxidil. It is essential for you to talk to your doctor and check your progress regularly so as to ensure that Minoxidil is working properly and also check for any side effects.