How Can Dental Cavities Be Treated At Home?
Dental cavities are the small holes which develop in teeth due to tooth decay. They can be very painful and can make eating and drinking difficult. Let us discuss about how dental cavities are treated at home.
How Are Dental Cavities Treated At Home?
Tooth decay occurs due to lack of dental hygiene and lack of minerals. Sometimes even the people being quite precautious develop cavities. So, how are dental cavities treated at home?
Here are few home remedies which can help keep tooth decay away.
- Fluoride Mouthwash - Fluoride is good for teeth as it helps re-mineralize them. Using a fluoride mouth wash after brushing teeth can help keep the tooth decay at bay. This may be a good way in which dental cavities are treated at home. Dentists advice applying fluoride gel or varnish and must be used as advised.1
- Calcium and Magnesium Powder - Calcium and magnesium also help to re-mineralize the teeth, and help in preventing the acid from the cavity from affecting the teeth. Powder calcium and magnesium tablet and use this powder to brush your teeth daily. It can be done once daily.
- Bone Broth - Bone broths are loaded with healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. It helps in improving the digestive system and also strengthens the hair, nail, and skin. Being rich in calcium and magnesium, it helps remove dental cavities and prevent further tooth decay. Boil animal bones in water until the broth thickens. Add salt and pepper to it. Drink it as a soup. You can include bone broth in your regular diet.
- Saltwater - Saltwater keeps the mouth free from bacteria and also removes stickiness from the cavities. It balances the acidic pH which occurs due to the tooth cavity. Add salt to warm water and mix it well. Rinse and gargle your mouth twice a day with this water to get the benefit. This is one of the effective ways in which dental cavities are treated at home.
- Clove Oil - Clove oil has analgesic properties (due to eugenol, an essential oil) which help is relieving pain which is caused due to tooth decay. It also has antimicrobial properties which inhibit the growth of various bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Take a drop of clove oil and massage it on the affected tooth. It can be applied 2-3 times a day. This too is one of the popular ways in which dental cavities are treated home.
- Vanilla Essence - Pure vanilla essence has antiseptic properties with the help of which it relieves the symptoms of tooth cavities, mostly toothaches. Dip a small cotton swab in vanilla essence and apply it on the affected tooth and surrounding gums. You can do it daily and 2-3 times a day.
- Lemon - Lemon is rich in vitamin C. The acids present in lemon help kill germs and ease the pain which is caused due to cavities. Take a slice of lemon and chew it for some time. Rinse mouth thoroughly with clean water.
- Wheatgrass - Wheatgrass has antibacterial properties which keep a check on the growth of bacteria. It also reduces the pain which occurs due to the decay of the tooth. Drink a cup of wheatgrass juice in the morning every day to keep the teeth healthy.
- Tea Tree Oil – Another natural way in which dental cavities are treated at home include the use of tea tree oil. Tea tree has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which help in keeping mouth, gums, and teeth free from decay. Take a few drops of tea tree oil and massage gums and teeth with it. Wash with warm water. Repeat it twice in a day.
- Neem – Using neem sticks might seem an old way to clean teeth but actually is a very effective way of keeping the teeth and gums healthy. The plant oil and compounds released in the mouth while chewing it are very effective in fighting against the bacteria which cause tooth decay. It is also rich in fiber which is effective in keeping plaque away. You can chew the neem twig or apply neem oil on the affected tooth daily to get an effective result.
- Baking Soda - The alkaline nature of baking soda neutralizes the excess acid in the mouth caused due to tooth decay and cavity. It is also an antimicrobial agent which fights against the bacteria causing tooth decay. Dip the toothbrush in baking soda and brush teeth with it. It can be done every alternate day for a few days.
- Eggshells - Eggshells are composed of calcium carbonate which removes the tooth decay build up in the teeth. It remineralizes the enamel as well as the dentine of the teeth. Take the egg shells and boil them for a few minutes and keep it to dry for some time. Grind them into a fine powder. Add baking powder and coconut to make a smooth paste. Use this as toothpaste to clean teeth every day.
- Aloe Vera Juice - Aloe vera with its anti-inflammatory effect reduces the pain and swelling of the affected tooth. The anthraquinones present in aloe vera also controls the growth of the bacteria causing tooth decay. You can rinse your mouth with aloe vera juice and can also use aloe vera gel as toothpaste.
Many studies have promoted the use of herbal medicines using which dental cavities are treated at home.2 So, if you have been wondering about how are dental cavities treated at home, now you know the way. All of these remedies are easily available and are actually helpful in keeping the teeth and gums healthy. Add whatever suits you in the daily routine and enjoy any food well, with your strong teeth.