What Challenges One Face At Work When Suffering From Psoriasis?
Like in every autoimmune disease, there is going to be visible symptoms which are difficult to hide. Psoriasis is also no less different and your co-workers may think, it is contagious which can make you an isolated person. To save yourself from embarrassment, seek communication with your colleagues which can make them understand the disease and so they will be more sympathetic with you.
You will probably have to face the following issues at work when suffering from psoriasis:
- Stressful for your colleagues and you, which can aggravate psoriasis.
- Psoriasis can affect your rapport at work place.
- Symptoms such as scaling, redness, itching and inflammation of psoriasis plaques, causes your colleagues at the work place to think that psoriasis is a contagious disease.
- Symptoms of psoriasis also look unsightly and affect the confidence level of the patient at workplace.
Above issues will impact your work performance which can affect your career in an adverse manner. Skin condition will flare up owing to the environment and air cooling system at work place, which tends to make psoriasis worse by causing dryness.
When you are away from home there are many situations which can be stressful. You will get to experience some worst situations due to changes in diet and water. If your work/job involves traveling and commuting, then your psoriasis will aggravate and makes you prone to falling ill mentally as well as physically. Dealing with psoriasis at your workplace is a very stressful task which in turn can further aggravate psoriasis and also affect your overall health.
How to Cope With Psoriasis At Work?
Coping with the dreaded ailment of psoriasis tends to become a major reason for stunting your performance at work. This is basically due to itching and pain of psoriasis which you will find it lot more problematic to deal with at your work place. But there are a few things which can be done to make your life at work easier.
This guide tries to enlist some ways to deal with psoriasis at work place. You need to follow the guide, so that living with psoriasis becomes more manageable. Tips to deal with this skin condition have a lot to do with how you maintain your lifestyle and how your diet healthy and better. The better your diet, the better you can cope up with psoriasis and you will have an improved recovery from psoriasis as well. There is no specific to get complete healing from psoriasis; however, there are some effective ways which can make it possible for you to lead a healthy life. Check out the following steps for making your life with psoriasis easier, especially at your workplace:
- Manage the skin symptoms of psoriasis which can lead to complications by keeping good moisturizers handy. Apply moisturizers, ointments and medications on a regular basis to soothe the irritation and dryness of skin, as it is this dryness which leads to itching and breeds complications. Prescription moisturizers can be used or over the counter moisturizers can be sued to manage the symptoms of psoriasis at work. You need to make sure these are moisturizing enough to make you heal well in time without causing any dryness or irritation of the skin.
- Besides the moisturizing lotions, you should also seek some other ointment such as aloe vera which is seen to be effective in healing the bruising caused by the rashes of psoriasis. You need to keep aloe vera lotions handy with you and apply them on a regular basis. Just make sure, you keep your skin supple and well-moisturized, so that the psoriasis can easily get healed without any further need for medicines.
- Ice packs and cod bath creates a perfect way for soothing psoriasis in a limited span of time. You can keep all these things handy which can prove to be a major reason that heals you well in time. You need to keep your skin in a soothing condition as this will enable healing well and will keep you protected from triggering and flaring up of psoriasis at work.
- Psoriasis flare-ups can make it tough for anyone to cope with at workplace and to sit comfortably for long hours in the office. Besides that, the itching in psoriasis also turns out to be a major reason which causes a lot of embarrassment at place. So what you can do is to keep a lotion handy which can provide you relief from itching when you are working.
Always carry some spare medicines and lotions with you, so that you can manage your symptoms in a proper way. Following lotions can be used availed for better recovery from the itching problems:
- Calamine lotion.
The moment you feel itchy, apply the lotions immediately so that dryness remains at bay and you can heal yourself well in time. Just take a break from your work and pick a separate area where can apply these lotions. The creamier and more moisturizing the lotion is, the better your skin condition is going to be. So you have to be very watchful about the perfect routine that you follow in order to protect your skin from the vagaries of psoriasis.
Apart from the tips mentioned in this guide, you need to be more relaxed and keep stress at bay. Taking short breaks helps in better management of psoriasis. Change your posture and develop healthy habits by quitting smoking and alcohol. Practice being calmer, avoid stress to better am manage psoriasis at work.
- Scalp Psoriasis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis, Home Remedies
- Psoriasis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Ways To Cope
- How is Psoriatic Arthritis Connected with Psoriasis?
- Eczema Vs Psoriasis: Differences Worth Knowing
- What is Plaque Psoriasis & How is it Treated?
- Guttate Psoriasis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis, Diagnosis
- Inverse Psoriasis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Lifestyle Modification
- How to Cope With Psoriasis at Work?