What Causes a Dermoid Cyst|Symptoms, Treatment of Ovarian Dermoid Cyst
What is a Dermoid Cyst?
Dermoid Cyst is known to contain skin and varying other skin appendages, for example sweat glands and hair follicles. Depending upon their location where they grow and develop, dermoid cysts are given names. The dermoid cysts are not the same everywhere. The doctor identifies what kind of structure is there within the cyst and gives it a name. For example, a dermoid cyst, which is comprised of varying kinds of hair, fat, skin, bone and teeth and nerve cells, are known as teratoma.
The dermoid cyst has no specific timing of occurrence and it may come out on the face, skull or the spinal cord at any moment. In worst possible cases, the dermoid cysts develop in ovaries, which is undoubtedly painful. This appears in women during the child bearing age. Dermoid cysts that develop in ovary or ovarian dermoid are identified as mature teratoma.
What Causes a Dermoid Cyst?
As dermoid cysts can occur at various areas, the causes too can vary. The commonest cause of a dermoid cyst is the trapping of skin and other skin appendages during embryonic development. As there are various changes occurring during fetal development, there is a possibility that the developing skin structures, sweat glands, hair follicles, or even teeth and hair can get folded in, to form a dermoid cyst. This is more common in case of dermoid cysts appearing on face and other locations. Ovarian dermoid cysts appear in women during their reproductive period and can affect them in various ways. In many cases, there may be no apparent cause.
Learning About the Nature or Symptoms of Dermoid Cysts
- When you are aware of your dermoid cyst and it turns painful and inflamed, you must not make any delay and contact the doctor immediately. When a superficial dermoid cyst changes colors and grows differently, it definitely needs medical attention.
- For cosmetic reasons, if the cyst needs to be removed, it should be performed at the earliest. When a dermoid cyst is ruptured somehow, the cyst turns inflamed or leads to fever or pain, in that case urgent medical attention should be provided.
- Right before removing the facial cyst a person must be aware of the difference between an alien facial growth and a cyst. Dermoid cysts often grow since birth and develop slowly and gradually. Dermoid cyst turns noticeable when the person reaches adulthood.
- Dermoid cysts are firm and tight and when ruptured it does not appear aching. Such cysts hardly develop on the overlying skin. When the cyst enters the skin and develops it creates a sort of facial void and an orbit.
- Few doctors order CT scan or other imaging studies to study the nature and extent of the dermoid cyst.
Symptoms of Ovarian Dermoid Cyst
- Now the cyst may remain in single entity or develop colony. When the dermoid cysts develop in both the ovaries it may cause other issues along with throbbing pain. The size of the cyst may vary as it could be tiny and small to very large tumor like which makes the abdomen appear heavy.
- It is seen that in maximum cases dermoid cysts hardly give rise to any symptom, but if a dermoid cyst develops bigger it may give rise to varying complications. It can starts encroaching the neighboring areas and exert pressure on surrounding structures.
- The commonest symptoms of ovarian dermoid cyst include abnormal vaginal bleeding, a dull ache in the lower back, abdominal pain, difficulty urinating and pain in thighs.
- Often patients with ovarian dermoid cysts may have unbearable abdominal pain and experience frequent vomiting. An increased dermoid cyst leads to ache and pain in the pelvic area, also it renders pressure on the bladder, causing difficulty in urinating.
- When such dermoid cyst develops, it affects blood supply and often invites an emergency condition. Such condition may result into abnormal bleeding and pain. It is seen that sometimes dermoid cysts can turn into cancer; however, with surgery these cysts can be removed.
In some cases, ovarian dermoid cyst can cause twisting or torsion leading to severe pain, which needs emergency medical attention.
Treatment of Dermoid Cyst
Similar to ovarian dermoid, other dermoid cysts can also be treated with surgical procedures. When the cyst is infected with certain bacteria, the risk of spreading infection is high and can cause varying reactions and severe complications. Hence, the proper treatment of dermoid cyst is necessary.
- Tongue and internal walls of mouth are seen to be preferred spot for dermoid cyst development. To remove the cyst, invasive surgical techniques may be required. Intralingual dermoid cysts can cause problem in normal lingual function so to correct speech problems, one may need to undergo surgeries to treat the dermoid cyst.
- When it is about removing the dermoid cysts on brow or forehead, unbeaten excision with endoscopy-is performed. The scarring of endoscopy-assisted surgery eventually fades away.
- Angular dermoid cyst can also be treated with minimally invasive subcutaneoscopic technique.
Treatment of Ovarian Dermoid Cyst
Surgery is the ultimate option for a dermoid cyst. As some cases can be very critical, it is important to have the condition diagnosed well and the treatment of dermoid cyst must be planned from an expert surgeon. As the fatty content is tend to spread all around the neighboring area, the procedure must be performed with great care and accuracy and it is important to choose a medical facility, which can provide appropriate care.
Self-care at Home for Dermoid Cyst
Removing facial cyst is definitely not recommended, as the cyst is known to grow back with all its competence and strength. Besides if you are thinking about treating dermoid cyst by curing it at home, then chances of infection and bleeding are high and can cause complications. It is best to follow medical advice and continue self-care at home for dermoid cyst as advised. In most cases, the advised treatment of dermoid cyst is surgery and appropriate instructions need to be followed.
With appropriate diagnosis and advanced medical techniques, it is possible to treat dermoid cyst and even ovarian dermoid successfully.