How Much Does It Cost For Tennis Elbow Surgery?
One cannot provide a definite cost for tennis elbow surgery, because the cost may differ according to type of surgery, the hospital you are going to for surgery and the surgeon. We can provide you a rough guide, but the actual cost will differ.
If you have health insurance you can cover the cost for the surgery or at least some percentage can be covered. The Total Fee Includes The Following Fees:
- Doctor’s fee
- Anesthetist’s fee
- Assistant doctor’s fee (if present)
- Nurses and other technician’s charges
- Diagnostic investigation
- Hospital fee
- Drugs and medicine charges
- Other minor charges
All of the above mentioned charges add to your tennis elbow surgery. So usually surgical treatment of tennis elbow injury costs about $10,000 – $16,000 or more. Surgeon’s charge for this kind of surgery ranges from about $1,500 – $3,000. Usually this surgery is an outpatient procedure therefore you don’t need to stay overnight, within a few hours you can go home. Either regional or general anesthesia will be used for the surgery. After the surgery you need to rest for few days without going to work. After about 6 months you can start back with your athletic activities.
Actual Amount Will Change According To The Following Factors:
- The consultant you choose.
- Your medical history.
- Past surgical history.
- The type of diagnostic investigations your consultant has requested.
- The type of anesthesia you choose or your consultant recommends you.
- The type of surgical approach you choose or you consultant advice you to choose.
- Risks of surgical treatment include reaction to anesthesia, infection, nerve damage, weakness or lack of flexibility in the affected area and/or inability to straighten the arm. This can contribute to additional drugs, hospital stay and even another surgery.
A tennis elbow brace costs about $25 or more and this is needed to be put after surgery. After the surgery you will also have to pay for follow up consultation visits and for physiotherapy sessions. Sometimes even additional investigations may be needed to see if the healing of the tendon has occurred properly or whether the healing has not occurred accordingly. If the rehabilitation takes long the cost will increase as well.
Well we hope you are not too depressed after reading this information, just look at the brighter side. Surgery is considered in patients who failed medical therapy done at least for 6 months. This is a self-limiting disease which heals in one or two years spontaneously in about 80 to 90%. So, there is a higher chance for you to get cured without undergoing any surgery. Also if you have health insurance most of these charges can be covered and sometimes you do not need to pay a penny. We posted the above information so that you will have a good idea about the tennis elbow surgery cost before undergoing the surgery rather than worrying about the money after the surgery.
Tennis elbow surgery roughly costs about $10,000 to $16,000 or more depending on the surgeon, type of anesthesia you choose, type of surgical approach, your medical history, the diagnostic investigations needed, recovery period and the complications that can develop after the surgery. So depending on these factors the actual amount can increase.
- Tennis Elbow or Lateral Epicondylitis: Know the Causes, Types, Symptoms, Treatment, Recovery Time, Exercises
- Exercises for Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
- How Long Does it Take to Heal Tennis Elbow & Ways to Fix it Fast?
- What Causes Tennis Elbow To Flare Up?
- Is There A Surgery For Tennis Elbow?
- How Do You Prevent Tennis Elbow?
- How Long Are You Out Of Work After Tennis Elbow Surgery?
- How Does Tennis Elbow Feel Like?
- Is Heat or Cold Better For Tennis Elbow?