There are about 1500 different species of scorpions. Not all are actually that dreadful. However, there are about 25 to 30 scorpions in the entire world that are actually highly venomous, the Arizona Bark Scorpion being the most dangerous of them all. Even if the most dangerous scorpion stings you, there is not a very high chance that you will likely to die from the scorpion sting.
Can You Die From a Scorpion Sting?
A healthy adult cannot die from a scorpion sting. Or even if one dies, the cases are very rare. The chances of fatality are high for the kids or the elderly people, who have a weak immunity. Also if there are adults, who have immunity disorders or heart diseases, then the scorpion sting can prove to be fatal.
Usually, a healthy adult would not require any treatment and will recover on their own. However, if the scorpion stings a child or an elderly person, the victim should be taken to the doctor at once. The doctor will give anti-venom to prevent the effects of the venom. The doctor needs to identify the symptoms first and determine whether they are caused by the venom of the scorpion sting and not a consequence of some allergic reaction.
Also, if you are allergic to any bite or sting, from any insect for that matter, there are chances that you may die from the scorpion sting. Otherwise, the chances of dying from a scorpion sting are very rare.
How to Prevent a Scorpion Sting?
If you live in an area where there are many scorpions, like living near the desert (since the natural habitat of the scorpions is desert), or the woods or forest or even if you live in the country side, then you must take some precautions in order to prevent the scorpion stings. Here, it needs to be mentioned that scorpions sting only when they feel threatened by someone. If you are not of any threat to them, they will not come close to you. Therefore, to make sure that you do not come in close proximity with the scorpion, you need to –
- Check your boots and gloves before wearing them.
- Brush your clothes before wearing them.
- Check the sleeping bags carefully if you are camping.
- Use pesticides outside the house to make sure that the scorpions do not get enough of food supply. Some pesticides are there that can make the scorpions sluggish. It then becomes easier to kill them.
Still, if you are stung by a scorpion, it is always advised that you see a doctor at once. Also, there are emergency help services and anti-venom services that will help you to understand what you should do when you are stung. They will also guide you to understand the type of scorpion that has stung. This will make the treatment much easier.
- How Long Does a Scorpion Sting Last & what To Do If You Get Stung By a Scorpion
- Scorpion Bite: Symptoms, Home Remedies, First Aid, Treatment
- Wasp Sting: Symptoms, Treatment, Home Remedy, Herbal Remedy
- How Long Does Bee Sting Itch & What to do for it?
- Marine Animal Bite & Sting
- Jellyfish Stings: Signs, Symptoms, First Aid, Treatment, Prevention