How To Increase Blood Pressure Naturally?
Our normal blood pressure is a value lower than 120/80 mm Hg. When this value is below 90/60 mm Hg, then it is termed as low blood pressure. It is considered normal to have mildly low blood pressure or hypotension, till the symptoms are not experienced. When it is associated with symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue, weakness, pale skin then medical help is required to prevent further complications.
How to Increase Blood Pressure Naturally?
Low blood pressure is caused by different factors such as old age, pregnancy, nutritional deficiencies, dehydration, excessive alcoholism, and certain drugs. Ideally, low blood pressure with mild symptoms does not require treatment. Instead, one needs to increase it naturally by lifestyle changes.
The following home remedies help to increase blood pressure naturally:
Dietary Changes to Increase Blood Pressure Naturally:
- Eat a balanced diet. It is essential to consume fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Some people get low blood pressure after a meal which is called postprandial hypotension. To prevent it, eating small but frequent meals is advised. There should be limited carbohydrate content in the diet.
- Include salt in the diet. In summers, drinking lime water with a pinch of salt is helpful. However, excess of salt intake should be avoided, since it can cause increase in blood pressure and further heart problems.
- Deficiency of vitamin B12 and folate leads to decrease in red blood cell production which causes low blood pressure. Hence, one must include these vitamins in their diet to increase blood pressure naturally.
- If a person suffers from anemia due to iron deficiency, diet must contain lean red meat and legumes. Taking iron tablets is also helpful.
- Mild dehydration and heat strokes in summers can be prevented by drinking plenty of fluids (water and fresh juice fluids). Drinking at least 2 to 3 liters of water everyday is necessary. Consuming coconut water and raw mango juice is helpful since these provide electrolytes essential for our body. However, it is best to avoid taking high sugar content juices.
- Minimizing alcohol consumption can also help increase blood pressure naturally
- Not to have drinks at night
- To consume moderate amount of caffeine.
Traditional Remedies to Increase Blood Pressure Naturally:
- Holy Basil (Tulsi) Leaves: It contains high levels of potassium, magnesium and Vitamin C. Chewing a few tulsi leaves in morning is helpful to keep blood pressure in control. Consuming carrot juice in the morning is also beneficial for low blood sugar patient to increase blood pressure naturally.
- Beetroot Juice: Consuming a cup of beetroot juice twice a day is helpful to keep blood pressure normal. Raisins are considered good for treating hypotension naturally. At least 30-40 raisins should be soaked in a cup of water overnight. This water along with raisins should be taken on empty stomach next morning. This natural remedy should be followed for a month.
- Almond Milk: The overnight soaked almonds (5-6) should be peeled in the morning and a paste should be made to make almond milk. Drinking this milk avoids blood pressure from falling. It is good for heart too since it contains Omega-3- fatty acids.
- Licorice Root: Licorice root treatment helps to normalize low blood pressure. Fresh licorice tea should be prepared by dipping one teaspoon of this root in a cup of boiling water for five minutes. This natural remedy should be followed regularly for few days.
- Rosemary Tincture: 10 ml of this tincture should be taken daily. It stimulates the central nervous system and improves blood circulation. Thus, rosemary helps to normalize low blood pressure naturally.
- Ginger helps in blood circulation and improves low blood pressure. A piece of fresh ginger is grated, added to water and allowed to simmer. This ginger water should be taken twice daily to increase blood pressure naturally.
- Ginseng also shows improvement in blood circulation like ginger. It can be taken as an herbal tea and helps to raise the blood pressure.
Body Positioning to Increase Blood Pressure Naturally:
There are patients who suffer from low blood pressure due to changes in body positions. The following should be done to increase blood pressure naturally:
- Postural or orthostatic hypotension is the low blood pressure which is experienced while getting up from sitting or lying down position. Such people should be careful about body positions. They should not change or bend the posture suddenly.
- Care should be taken while sitting and lying down. While getting up, one should sit upright on the edge of the bed for few minutes before standing to increase or maintain the blood pressure.
- People suffering from neutrally mediated hypotension should avoid standing still at one place continuously for a long time. They should also avoid sitting crossed leg for prolonged time.
- The head of the bed should be elevated 10 to 20 degrees while sleeping. This will help to raise the person’s head and prevent drop in blood pressure.
- Instead of vigorous exercises, one should perform light physical exercises. This will ensure proper blood flow in the body.
- Avoid exerting strain while on the toilet.
- Lifting of heavy material is strictly restricted.
- Being in hot environments should be avoided.
- Taking lukewarm water baths instead of hot water or sauna baths is advised.
- One must wear tight fitting elastic support stockings. They help to keep more blood in upper part of the body instead of legs. This helps to prevent drop in the blood pressure.
- Before taking any over the counter (OTC) medicines, they should be evaluated by the doctor.
- Certain medications to treat depression, hypertension, Parkinson’s disease cause low blood pressure symptoms. Hence, use of these drugs should be brought to the notice of doctor who will either change or stop the medication.
People who experience symptoms of low blood pressure regularly are usually affected badly as it has a direct impact on their normal living. Drugs fludrocortisone and midodrine are prescribed to ease their symptoms. In addition to drugs, the mentioned remedies if followed will also provide relief from symptoms of hypotension in long run.
- Can Sugar Cause High Blood Pressure?
- Breathing Exercise To Control High Blood Pressure
- Ideal Blood Pressure for Men and Women
- How to Know if Your Blood Pressure is High?
- How Can We Control Our High Blood Pressure?
- When to Worry About High Blood Pressure?
- Yoga for High Blood Pressure: Yogasanas and Pranayams to Prevent and Cure High Blood Pressure