Yoga for High Blood Pressure: Yogasanas and Pranayams to Prevent and Cure High Blood Pressure
Yoga for High Blood Pressure
High Blood Pressure also called Hypertension is one of the most prevalent disease around the world. There are very good chances that amongst our family members, relatives or close friends we have at least one friend who takes pill for high blood pressure every day.
Yoga is the natural cure for High blood pressure and is very beneficial for controlling high blood pressure permanently. Yoga soothes and relaxes the nervous system thereby settling mind and body and thus reducing stress which in return is a major cause of high blood pressure or Hypertension.
Regular practice of Yoga stimulates the Parasympathetic nervous system which is responsible for rest and repair in the body. Increased Parasympathetic activity of the nervous system makes it more balanced and has many benefits for other systems of the body. The body's healing response is increased if yoga is practiced regularly.
If practiced correctly, yoga can be a great therapy for high blood pressure. However, there are many cautions which need to be taken while practicing yoga. Practicing with a yoga trainer who can make a proper yoga schedule for you as per your body conditions and requirements can help reduce the risks involved while practicing yoga by people with high blood pressure.
Also, if you have high blood pressure and are on medication and your blood pressure is lowered by medication, even after that you need to practice yoga with caution, as at the lower limits also the blood pressure is not stabilized to a point that yoga can be practiced without cautions.
Yogasanas for Preventing and Curing High Blood Pressure
For people who are suffering with very high blood pressure should practice Yogasanas under the guidance of expert Yoga Trainers. However, the following Yogasanas are very beneficial to lower or to prevent high blood pressure:
- Shisuasana or Child Pose – This yogasana promotes blood circulation in the body. Relieves stress and fatigues thereby relaxing the whole body and thus controlling or maintaining High Blood pressure.
- Shavasana or Corpse Pose Yoga – Relaxes the whole body thereby relieving stress which is a major cause of High Blood pressure and thereby relieving High Blood Pressure.
- Vajrasana or Diamond Pose – Vajrasana is mostly done after lunch or dinner. This yogasana helps in digesting food. Increases blood blow to the abdomen and helps in controlling obesity.
- Paschimottanasana or Back Stretching Pose - It is one of the most effective stress reliever asana which helps in controlling and curing high blood pressure and also helps in weight reduction from the belly.
- Sukhasana- Sukhasana is also called the Meditation Pose. It calms the mind and makes the body aware. Breathing deeply while sitting in this yogasana relieves anxiety, stress and fatigue thereby controlling and curing High Blood Pressure.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana or Sitting Half Spinal Twist – It helps in stimulating the blood flow to the body and strengthens the cardio vascular and nervous system and thus helps in maintaining High Blood Pressure to a normal level.
- Ardha Halasana or Half Plough Pose – Ardha Halasna helps in burning fat from the thighs, lower abdomen and hips thereby preventing deposition of fat.
- Setu Bandasana or Bridge Pose – This yogasana helps regulate the kidneys and also promotes blood circulation in the body.
- Virasana or Hero Pose – promotes blood circulation around the legs and helps in preventing and curing High Blood Pressure.
- Janusirsasana or One Legged Forward Bend – helps reduce fatty deposits from the lower abdominal area thereby massaging the abdominal organs and helps in regulating the blood pressure in the body.
- Baddhakonasana or Bound Angle Pose – It stimulates the cardiovascular system thereby help maintain a regular pressure of blood throughout the body.
Pranayamas to Prevent and Cure High Blood Pressure
- Full Yogic Breathing – Deep and slow breathing while sitting in Sukhasana or any of the comfortable meditative asanas helps relax the nervous system and relieves the stress thereby regulation the blood pressure in the body.
- Bhramari Pranayama or Bee Breathing – The vibrations created while practicing Bharamari Pranayama brings a deep sense of relaxation in mind and body and relieves stress and anxiety and helps regulate high blood pressure.
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama or Alternate Nostril Breathing – Anulom Vilom if practiced regularly and in the right way helps in removing blockages from the arteries and improves blood circulation in the body and thus helps in controlling and curing blood pressure.
- Bhastrika Pranayama or Breath of Fire – Bhastrika Pranayama helps in increasing the supply of oxygen to all parts of body and helps in relieving stress and high blood pressure in return.
- Kapalbhati Pranayama or Skull Shining Breathing Technique - It helps remove fatty deposits from the abdominal area of the body and also helps in regulating the breathing.
Benefits of Yoga in Controlling High Blood Pressure
Our body needs to maintain a balance between both High and Low Blood Pressures because none of them is desirable. A healthy diet along with a healthy mind plays a vital role in controlling high blood pressure.
- Yoga helps synchronize the breathing and the body movements i.e.- constant deep breathing with synchronized body movements help in relieving stress and thereby maintaining the blood pressure of the body.
- Yogasanas relieves the tension in the nerves and thus slow down an abnormal heart rate.
- Yoga increases the immunity of the body and thereby reducing the reducing the incidences of diseases like stroke and heart attacks.
- Yoga is beneficial in regularizing the sleep patterns and treat insomnia which is also a risk factor for High Blood pressure.
- Yoga with regular practice cures obesity by reducing the excess fat and weight from the body. Excess storage of fat in the body is also a major factor which leads to high blood pressure.
- Yoga stimulates and brings positive energy in body and mind which release happy hormones in the body thereby making you happy and hopeful in life which in return helps in treating high blood pressure.
Precautions and Contraindications While Practicing Yoga if You Have High Blood Pressure
- To control High Blood Pressure, the first thing to do is to change your lifestyle and eating habits. Smoking and Drinking alcohol should be avoided to control High Blood Pressure.
- Asanas and Pranayams should be done in coordination to get maximum benefits in regulating High Blood Pressure.
- Inverted Poses should be completely avoided. Yogasanas like Head stand or Shirshasana or Hand stand or Adho Mukh Vkrasana, Sarvangasana or Shoulder Stand should be completely avoided because they can cause a sudden rush of blood to the head which might increase the blood pressure in head because the trunk and legs are elevated and head is at a maximum distance from the heart while practicing these Yogasanas.
- Android Apps For Blood Pressure
- Can Sugar Cause High Blood Pressure?
- Breathing Exercise To Control High Blood Pressure
- Ideal Blood Pressure for Men and Women
- Exercises to Lower Blood Pressure
- How to Know if Your Blood Pressure is High?
- Low Blood Pressure: 8 Foods That Can Help Fight Hypotension
- How Can We Control Our High Blood Pressure?
- Can You Fly If You Have High Blood Pressure?
- What is Good for High Blood Pressure?
- How to Manage High Blood Pressure during Pregnancy?
- What Causes High Blood Pressure in Young Women
- When to Worry About High Blood Pressure?
- Hand Grip Exercise & Deep Breathing Can Reduce Blood Pressure