Hiccups– A very annoying condition which can affect any person at any time. This is especially seen when eating too quickly. It usually goes away after some time when taking a glass of water, but there is one more way to get rid of hiccups instantly and that is by doing a yoga exercise called Pranayama. Pranayama yoga is one of the best home remedy to stop hiccups immediately. In this article, we will discuss how Pranayama helps in stopping hiccups.
What Are Hiccups?
Hiccups occur when a spasm contracts the diaphragm. This spasm causes a breath that all of a sudden stopped by closure of vocal cords. This closure results in the hiccup sound.
What Can Cause A Hiccup?
Hiccups Can Be Caused By The Following:
- Eating food too quickly.
- Drinking increased amount of alcohol.
- Swallowing excessive air.
- Emotional stress.
What Is Pranayama?
Pranayama is an exercise done for controlled breathing. “Prana” means Breath. One can control the rhythms of this “pranic” energy by doing pranayama and have a healthy body and mind.
How To Do Pranayama?
- In this, breathe deeply through the nostrils. Feel the diaphragm moving down thus allowing the lungs to expand and forcing abdomen out and then feel the chest expand.
- Breathe out quickly through the nostrils. You can feel the chest deflating and abdomen shrinking. The process of exhaling should be faster than inhaling.
- If done correctly, the chest will expand while breathing in deflate when breathing out. Need to continue doing this for a few minutes.
By doing Pranayama, the spasm goes away and the vocal cords open, thus stopping the hiccups immediately.
“Pranayama yoga is one of the best home remedy to stop hiccups immediately.”