Home Remedies & Diet for Epigastric Hernia
The prognosis looks good for epigastric hernia when treated on time and with proper adaptation of suitable lifestyle changes. Diet also plays a crucial role in coping with epigastric hernia and its recurrence. In this article you will learn about the prevention of epigastric hernia, home remedies, diet, lifestyle changes for epigastric hernia.
Home Remedies for Epigastric Hernia
Home remedies for epigastric hernia are the ones that last longer than any other type of medication. Natural remedies will help to get some relief from the discomfort or pain but will not help as a medical treatment. Home remedies are to be chosen wisely because people may be allergic to some of the products used at home. One should always consult a doctor before using home remedies for epigastric hernia and it can pose with a health risk in some cases. Some of the home remedies to fight the problems of epigastric hernia are as follows:
- Licorice, the herb has always been considered as a great home remedy for different problems like respiratory trouble and sore throat. The root of Licorice can help in healing the damage done in the stomach area or esophagus caused by epigastric hernia. This remedy will help to kill burning and pain in the chest and throat. Consulting a doctor is highly recommended before using this or any other herb for epigastric hernia treatment.
- Gingers are considered great for protecting the esophagus and stomach from the damaged areas which has occurred due to the buildup of gastric acids and bile. While taking this remedy one must keep in mind that ginger root may lead to a stomach upset. Ginger is a good home remedy for general abdominal problems.
- Acid reflux is a usual problem after epigastric hernia occurs. The herb chamomile is a good home remedy which helps to caress the lining of the digestive tract and also helps in reducing the occurrence of stomach acids. It also soothes the esophageal lining. People sometimes may experience nausea after using chamomile, the herb.
- Acupuncture can be a great relieve to epigastric hernia pain. There are points which are given pressure on to deal with pain and discomfort. These types of home remedies for epigastric hernia may not cure the problem but will surely help in dealing with it without severe pains and feebleness.
- Marshmallow root are considered to be beneficial for the health and is a great home remedy. It improves digestion and it also decreases production of digestive acids. Therefore, it may help to assuage symptoms that occur due to epigastric hernia. The problem with this root is that it can cause diarrhea.
- Hawthornia is an herbal extension which provides strength to muscles and protects the internal organs. It may help to stop an epigastric hernia from developing further and can also prevent it from recurring. Citrus seeds, hawthorn and fennel are the herbs which come under hawthornia.
- Shepherds purse is a type of herb that relieves inflammation, pain and swelling of epigastric hernia. It also lessens bleeding and prevents from infections. All these problems like pain, swelling, bleeding and infections are a part of hernia and so this herb can be of a great heal to epigastric hernia patients. It can also be taken internally as extensions.
Lifestyle Changes for Epigastric Hernia
Below mentioned are some of the lifestyle changes suggested for epigastric hernia:
- The best lifestyle change for epigastric hernia is exercise. One can get engaged in general or light exercised to strengthen abdominal muscles after complete recovery from epigastric hernia surgery. Exercising regularly may shed extra body weight and thus lower the pressure on stomach muscles. Heavy lifting or difficult abs is supposed to be avoided. One should talk to his/ her doctor before starting to exercise. Avoid exercising immediately after having a meal and also for the next four hours.
- Consuming alcohol can be considered dangerous for epigastric hernia patients and avoiding is a great lifestyle change.
- Ice is one of the best remedies for pain or swelling. Compressing ice on the affected area can be healed faster.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes as it can exert pressure on the abdomen. Therefore it is suggested to only wear loose and comfortable clothes and it should be implemented as a lifestyle changes for epigastric hernia.
- Stress can be really bad for acid reflux or stomachaches while coping with epigastric hernia. Therefore, one should avoid or manage stress by performing yoga or breathing exercises or meditation.
- Any heat or pressure applied on the affected area may result adversely.
- After having a meal one should never exercise.
- Larger meals should be avoided. Smaller and frequent meals will keep you full and will also help reduce weight.
- Sleeping, lying down or bending after eating should be completely avoided and should be adopted as a lifestyle change for epigastric hernia.
Diet for Epigastric Hernia
Maintaining a diet is very important when one is suffering from epigastric hernia. The diet for epigastric hernia patients should be high in protein and low in fat. The situation where the patient takes high fat food and low protein food can result in epigastric hernia as the stomach walls become weak in that case. Cottage cheese, tuna and chicken are protein rich food which is suggested for a hernia patient. Low fat milk and dairy products should be included to control fat intake. Fresh fruits like apples and pears are very rich in fiber which is considered very healthy for patients dealing with epigastric hernia. Also nuts, whole grains and beans are rich in fiber. Taking fiber will help to make better bowel movements and prevent constipation. These will also help reducing the chances of getting epigastric hernia.
There are diet suggestions which will keep you away from epigastric hernia. Firstly, maintaining a healthy and accurate body weight by in taking less of calorie diet and more of nutritional diet. Regular exercise is suggested if you are over-weight. Secondly, your diet must include plenty of fresh fruits and green vegetables. These are full of nutrients and also are fiber rich diet. Thirdly, one must always bend from the knees rather than from waist while lifting objects or weight lifting while exercising. Fourthly, coughing that does not go away can be a symptom of epigastric hernia. One should immediately seek medical help to prevent epigastric hernia or any other respiratory problems. Lastly, it is advisable to quit smoking immediately as that can lead to serious respiratory problems which can lead to epigastric hernia.
Prevention for Epigastric Hernia
There are few ways to prevent epigastric hernia. Prevention is better than cure is a very popular phrase. It is always better to prevent a person from a disease rather than trying to treat it later. Therefore, here are some of the preventions for epigastric hernia which can be useful:
- Avert chronic constipation to prevent epigastric hernia.
- Treat chronic cough issues.
- Reduce weight if you are a victim of obesity to prevent epigastric hernia.
- Do moderate exercises or yoga to prevent epigastric hernia
- Avoid doing heavy work during the first week after any abdominal surgery.