Expert Tips To Manage Vomiting
Vomiting is a common concern experienced by many people. Vomiting caused due to underlying medical conditions need to be managed with medical advice. Vomiting is considered as the human body’s mechanism to purge contaminated or unwanted substance. More than our stomach, it’s our mind which sends vomiting stimuli through our body’s neurons. Although there are various reasons that may cause vomiting, here we deal with expert tips to manage vomiting.
Following are some of the most effective expert tips to manage vomiting:
Feast on bland crackers – Saltines and similar dry crackers are known to give a tough fight to morning sickness. They help in quick absorption of stomach acids. It needs to be munched 15 minutes before getting out of bed. White rice and dry toast can also help guard against the painful bite of stomach bugs. Expert tips suggest having bland food, which relieves nausea and is a popular way to manage vomiting.
Deep breathing exercise – Deep breathing pushes air into your lungs but you need to make sure that your abdomen expands while you are breathing in. Use your nose or mouth to exhale slowly and relax your belly following each breath. Repeat this process for as long as you deem fit. An important way to manage vomiting with expert tips is to focus on breathing and practice deep breathing regularly.
Research has revealed that taking controlled and deep breaths straight from the diaphragm helps in activating the parasympathetic nervous system. This checks the biological response which is known to cause motion sickness. Deep breathing is also known to reduce high anxiety levels which are frequent with nausea and motion sickness.
Increase your fluid intake – Another important expert tip to manage vomiting is to maintain fluid levels. Frequent vomiting causes water loss and increases the risk of dehydration. Hence, it is essential to increase your fluid intake to maintain hydration. Be slow when sipping on your drink as drinking rapidly while your stomach is not at its healthiest best might cause even more vomiting. Ginger ale, lemonade, mint tea and water can help in keeping you hydrated and ease nausea.
Anti-Emetic Medications – To manage vomiting with expert tips medicines are also equally effective. Medicines like Kaopectate and Pepto-Bismol contain bismuth subsalicylate and provide relief against vomiting and food poisoning. The best anti-emetic and the combinations to be used can be suggested by the physician depending on the severity of the condition. Hence it is advisable to take medicines with consultation only.
Expert Tips on Alternative Therapies To Manage Vomiting
In addition to medical treatment and lifestyle changes, expert tips to manage vomiting also include alternative therapies.
Chinese Acupressure – This popular medical therapy uses pressure technique for stimulating body points for relieving pain. Pressure on Neiguan point is known to offer relief from vomiting and nausea.
Apply pressure on the spot at your forearm’s palm side near the wrist by placing three fingers across the wrist. Place your thumb under the index finger and then rub the point using circular motion for about two to three minutes. You can repeat the same process on the other wrist.
Aromatherapy – The term aromatherapy brings along a feel good factor as we think about soaking in the goodness of essential oils which tantalizes our senses. But did you know that you can use this age old formula for fighting off vomiting and nausea! This too is an important part of expert tips to manage vomiting.
For practicing aromatherapy try to inhale a bottle of essential oil by adding few drops of the same to a cotton ball. Room diffuser also helps in spreading the wellness of essential oils. Cut open a fresh lemon and inhale its scent if you can’t get your hands on lemon oil. Other effective scents which help in overcoming nausea are lavender, clove, rose, chamomile and peppermint.
- Cloves – Cloves have for long been used since long for fighting off vomiting and nausea caused by motion sickness. Cloves are rich in eugenol which is popular for its antibacterial abilities. They are long known as one of the important expert tips to manage vomiting. For making clove tea you need to add teaspoon of cloves in a cup of boiling water and steep the same for ten minutes before straining and drinking the same.
- Fennel – Fennel seeds are known for their calming effects which work like magic on the digestive tract. Although this lacks a proper scientific backing, anecdotal evidence indicates at positive effects of the same on beating nausea. If you are in the mood to make some steaming hot fennel tea then add a teaspoon filled with fennel seeds into a cup of hot water and steep the same for 10 minutes for straining and sipping on.
- Ginger – Nothing pleases like a hot cup of ginger tea to fight off signs of nausea. Expert tips to manage vomiting surely include the use of ginger. For making fresh ginger tea you need to add a teaspoon of grated ginger root in a cup of steaming water and give a 10 minutes resting time before straining the same. And in case you are feeling a bit lazy lately then you can suckle on candied ginger or a fresh piece of ginger root. A 2016 study had revealed that ginger is very effective for treating vomiting tendency and nausea in people undergoing chemotherapy and the pregnant ladies.
While these expert tips to manage vomiting are useful, they are given as general tips. If you notice vomiting to be associated with other signs or if it seems worsening, immediate medical care must be sought. For symptoms like
- Severe abdominal pain
- High fever
- Chest pain
- Blurred vision
- Fainting or dizziness
- Cold, clammy, pale skin
- Severe headache
- Stiff neck
- Unable to retain liquid or food in the body for twelve hours
In case you are suffering from morning or motion sickness then home remedies will surely be of much help. Expert tips to manage vomiting can be effectively used to obtain relief from vomiting.
Make sure you have enough water and fluids if there is vomiting. Immediate medical attention is mandatory if vomiting is caused due to food poisoning and stomach flu.
- Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: Causes, Treatment, Alternative Treatment, Home Remedies and Diet
- Emetophobia or Fear of Vomiting: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Recovery
- Causes of Vomiting While Sleeping and How to Prevent it Naturally?
- Vomiting Without Associated Symptoms in Children: Causes, Treatment, Warning Signs
- Can Irritable Bowel Syndrome Cause Vomiting?
- Can Acid Reflux Give you Diarrhea and Vomiting?
- Dry Heaving: What Causes You to Feel Like Vomiting but Nothing Comes Out?