Causes of Vomiting While Sleeping and How to Prevent it Naturally?
After going through a hectic day everyone wishes to have a good and sound sleep. However, some disruptions can spoil your sleep, particularly when you might feel sick or even vomit while sleeping. Vomiting is one of the most disgusting feelings which you can experience while sleeping.
Causes of Vomiting While Sleeping
Knowing some of the causes of vomiting while sleeping can help to identify your trigger factors. Avoiding them can also help to prevent vomiting when sleeping.
- Eating Late: Sometimes feeling of vomit might occur because of eating late at night. Working in shifts, following an irregular eating pattern and having late night dinners, often makes digestion difficult leading to sickness or vomiting while sleeping.
- Faulty Food Habits: Many people are not aware of what type of food is right for them and may tend to make unhealthy food choices. Consuming inappropriate food items, particularly in the night is one of the common causes of vomiting while sleeping.
- Acid Reflux: Another common cause of vomiting while sleeping can be acid reflux resulting from indigestion of food. Acid reflux throws back the food into food pipe causing vomiting. This not only causes great discomfort but results in disruption of sleep.
- Taking Alcohol: Some people have the habit of drinking at night. Having small quantities occasionally may not be a concern but having large quantities of alcohol regularly, along with unhealthy food choices can result in vomiting while sleeping. You may feel dizzy and cause gastritis creating immense problem during night.
- Teething: Teething is also one of the causes of vomiting while sleeping. The feeling of crankiness, fussing, biting objects and swollen gum can cause vomiting like feeling while sleeping.
- Stress: Stress is another common trigger, which can disturb sleep, adding to the indigestion and can also be a cause of vomiting in the middle of night.
How to Prevent Vomiting While Sleeping Naturally?
Undoubtedly feeling sick or vomiting while sleeping can be quite troublesome for individuals going through it. Hence it is advisable that they look for easy solutions and try and avoid things which lead to the condition. Some natural treatments that can help to prevent vomiting while sleeping include
Getting Fresh Air
Sometimes vomiting at night happens because of suffocation or less amount of air in the room. In order to prevent this, the best you can do is get some fresh air by standing at the balcony or opening the windows. Getting fresh air for few minutes will definitely make you feel good and prevent vomiting naturally.
Also, regular practice of breathing properly, performing breathing exercises regularly can help to improve your oxygen levels. This can help to naturally prevent feeling of vomiting.
A feeling of vomit can make you anxious and cause discomfort during night. The natural way to control this anxiety is to stay calm and sit quiet for few minutes. Being calm and composed shall help you get rid of this anxiousness and help you get back to sleep in no time.
Getting distracted from illness is one of the best and natural ways to prevent vomiting naturally. You may divert your mind from vomiting at night by thinking something about you like or by reviving the good old memories of family, friends or relatives. You can even take some time out and indulge yourself in reading books or work such that your mind forgets about the illness and gives you some space to go back to sleep.
Take a Deep Breath
Breathing deeply for few minutes is one of the best ways to prevent vomiting while sleeping. You can slowly inhale exhale the air and feel good inside. By practicing this, you can experience a calm state of mind, which may help to relieve the vomit sensation and prevent it naturally.
Sip on Liquids
Another effective measure to prevent vomiting while sleep naturally is to sip on some liquids, cool drinks, if you prefer. You can try having lemon water, orange juice, grapefruit juice and anything which makes you feel comfortable.
Have a Candy
One of the ways to prevent vomiting while sleeping is to chew some sweet or bitter candy in mouth that will change the taste of your tongue. This will further eliminate the feeling of vomiting because of the soothing and satisfying taste of candy in your mouth. Ginger or mint based candies seem to work well.
Chew on Natural Healers
Taking a small piece of ginger is a natural way of preventing vomiting while sleeping. Ginger has the characteristic of maintaining strong taste in your mouth that can make you feel good and present feeling of vomiting. Keeping a small piece of clove in the mouth, licking on mint, gooseberry or lemon can also help to provide relief from vomiting sensation.
Vomiting while sleeping can be prevented with such natural methods in most cases. However, if the causes of vomiting are serious or if the symptoms persist for long, it is advisable to seek medical opinion and take appropriate action as advised.