Cornstarch is a commonly used ingredient in the kitchen and is required for thickening many recipes such as gravies, marinades, casseroles, sauces, and soups. Its uses are not just reserved for the kitchen recipes as it is quite useful outside as well.
9 Amazing Household Uses Of Cornstarch
Athlete Foot Preventive
When your feet get exposed to too much moisture, excessive sweat leads to fungal growth in it. This is known as athlete’s foot.(1)
Cornstarch is not a treatment for athlete’s foot but can help prevent it. When put cornstarch in shoes or add it to socks, it can reduce moisture.
Provides Skin Relief
- Cornstarch is a very effective remedy for skin irritation.
- It can be used to soothe skin burn and skin itchiness.
- Mix cornstarch with a few drops of water to form a thick paste. Apply it on the affected skin and allow it to sit until it dries. Rinse it off with warm water.
- It can be sprinkled on the sheets or inside the clothes to reduce friction.
It Can Be Used As A Deodorant
Out of deodorant? Try out a DIY alternative of cornstarch.
- With its moisture-absorbing properties, cornstarch acts as a natural deodorant and decreases sweat and odor.
- To make a cornstarch deodorant, take 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and microwave it until it liquefies. Then add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of baking soda to form a thick paste. You can even add a drop of any essential oil you like, to it.
- Itis an all-natural, antiperspirant homemade deodorant, you can surely try.
Some people are allergic to baking soda and should not use this DIY product.
A dry shampoo’s basic purpose is to remove oils that make the hair look dirty.
Cornstarch is an excellent grease removing agent that can keep the hair looking fresh and clean. You can mix it with few other ingredients to make a wonderfully smelling dry shampoo.
Sprinkle a small amount on the roots of the hair. You can also use a clean makeup brush to transfer it to the roots.
Those with dark hair might find this technique a bit inconvenient as the color of cornstarch is light and tend to show up.
Milk baths are known to soothe the skin and give a luxurious bathing experience. Cornstarch is one of the secret ingredients in many milk baths.
To make a relaxing cornstarch milk bath, add one cup of cornstarch, two cups of powdered whole milk, and ½ cup of baking soda in a bag and shake well.
Add a few drops of lavender or any other essential oil and shake again. Add one cup of this mixture to a warm bath and relax.
Cornstarch reduces friction and can therefore be helpful in reducing chafing.
Before dressing up, you can rub a small amount of cornstarch into the affected area such as in between the thighs.
Cornstarch can be used to detangle hair as it reduces friction and lubricates hair fibers.
If having large knots in your hair, you can surely give this product a try.
Blisters worsen in moist environments and also when they get rubbed against any other surface such as shoes or clothing.
A small amount of cornstarch can be added to the blister to keep it dry and reduce friction.
Do not apply cornstarch to any open wound or surface as it may become a breeding ground for bacteria and infect the wound.(2)
Cornstarch can be used as an alternative to alcohol in the homemade glass cleaner (vinegar and alcohol).
It helps clean the glass without leaving unsightly streaks. It is effective even against the toughest stains like that of toothpaste on the bathroom mirror, leaving the glass crystal clear.
Cornstarch is a natural ingredient with moisture-wicking properties. It is not just a common ingredient for kitchen and food recipes but also has numerous other uses.