Causes of Broken Blood Vessels on Arm & Home Remedies to Get Rid of it
Some people commonly experience broken blood vessels under the skin of their arm. Broken blood vessels are nothing but rupture or breakage of the capillaries and this can be more noticeable on arms of some people. Capillaries are very thin vessels, thinner than the veins and arteries and are situated deep under the muscles and tissues of the body.
When the blood vessels on the arm break, the area becomes purplish or appears as tiny red spots. The ruptured or broken blood vessels on arm are not necessarily a serious concern; however, it can be cosmetically embarrassing for some people. Sometimes, the cause of broken blood vessels on arm could be an underlying medical condition. The blood vessels usually break under the skin of the arm and may affect other tissues around the arm, especially if this condition is left untreated. In this article, we have given some home remedies to help get rid of the broken vessels on the arm along with the causes and symptoms of broken blood vessels on arms.
Common causes of broken blood vessels on arm include falling down and hurting your arms, banging your arms against furniture etc., some other type of injury or trauma. All these cause breakage of the delicate capillaries and results in appearance of a bruise on the affected region of the arm. Majority of the times, the broken blood vessels on the arm heal naturally without any medical attention. However, if the cause of broken blood vessels is a major injury to the arm, then medical attention is needed for faster healing and recovery.
Types of Broken Blood Vessels
There are two different types of broken blood vessels that may appear on your arm:
- Common bruising is the first type of broken blood vessel that appears as a purplish bruise/welt on the arm.
- Blood spot on arm is another type of broken blood vessel that appears as redness spreading in the affected area.
What are the Causes of Broken Blood Vessels on Arm?
- Broken Blood Vessels on Arm caused by Injury/Trauma: Injury is the commonest cause of broken blood vessels in the arms. The injury could be from a fall or banging against furniture which leads to rupturing of the blood vessels in the arm.
- Broken Blood Vessels on Arm caused by Medications: Medications is another cause for broken blood vessels in the arm. There are certain drugs which make the capillaries fragile and weak, resulting in rupture of the capillaries with only slight pressure. This especially occurs when the patient is given an injection on the arm.
- Broken Blood Vessels on Arm caused by Aging: Aging increases the fragility of the skin which in turn makes the capillaries delicate; hence the blood vessels on arm break easily with little pressure.
- Broken Blood Vessels on Arm caused by Fracture: This is another common cause for broken blood vessels in arm. If fracture is the cause, then the broken blood vessels may be deeply seated accompanied with severe pain.
- Broken Blood Vessels on Arm caused by Medical Conditions: Medical conditions like blood dyscrasias and liver failure can also cause broken blood vessels in arm in some people.
- Broken Blood Vessels on Arm caused by Weather: Extreme hot and cold weather conditions may also break the superficial blood vessels.
What are the Common Symptoms of Broken Blood Vessels on Arm?
- Red/Purple Spots or Bruise: The main symptom of broken blood vessels on arm is the appearance of red or purple spots on the skin of the arm. The broken blood vessels on the arm can be seen or detected easily just by looking at the arm. When the skin of your arm has purple welts or bright red spots on it, then it means that the blood vessels on the arm have ruptured or broken.
- Pain: Patient can experience tenderness and pain in the arm which has broken blood vessels. The pain is severe in intensity if the cause of the broken blood vessels is a serious injury to the arm. In case of minor injuries, the symptoms of broken blood vessels are a bit difficult to detect just with visual examination.
- Swelling: Swelling is present around the affected area of the arm, especially if the severity of the broken blood vessels is more.
- Hematoma: Hematoma in the arm, which is collection of blood, also indicates broken blood vessels on the arm.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Broken Blood Vessels on Arm
There are a variety of home remedies that can help in treating the broken blood vessels naturally. Some of the most common home remedies to treat the ruptured blood vessels include:
Application of cold compress on the affected area is an effective home remedy for treating and getting rid of broken blood vessels on arm. This natural home remedy is very helpful in getting rid of broken blood vessels. You simply need to place an ice pack or washcloth soaked in ice water on the affected area for 5-10 minutes and press it for a while. Remove the ice pack for 5 minutes and repeat the process again. The cold temperature helps to reduce inflammation and redness caused by broken blood vessels. It also soothes the skin and alleviates pain caused by the broken blood vessels.
Essential oil is very effective in treating and getting rid of broken blood vessels naturally at home. You are required to prepare a mixture consisting of 10 drops of pure essential oil and 4 ounces of moisturizer and apply this mixture on the affected area of broken blood vessels for two to three times a day to treat this condition naturally. Home remedies to get rid of broken blood vessels include a wide range of essential oils including chamomile and rose oil which are popular for this purpose. You can use the appropriate ones with the help of an expert.
Vitamin C and K
Vitamin K and C are other great home remedies to get rid of broken blood vessels naturally. Apply the moisturizer or a cream which is rich in Vitamin C on the affected area before bedtime for better absorption. Applying the cream rich in Vitamin K on this can help to maintain the flexibility of the blood vessels. This formula can be used to heal and get rid of the broken blood vessels on arm. Consuming nutritional supplements of these vitamins may be considered with medical advice.
Blood thinners are also widely used today as a home remedy to treat and get rid of broken blood vessels. These are anti-coagulant medicines used to prevent formation of clots in arm. Nutritional supplements and food items that are high in salicylates, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E are often prescribed for thinning the blood. Peppermint, paprika, cinnamon, oregano, nuts, ginger, turmeric, licorice, curry powder, thyme and cayenne pepper are rich in salicylates.
To reduce the broken capillary redness, you may make use of green concealer under your make-up foundation. This helps in neutralizing the redness from the broken blood vessels and temporarily camouflages the broken blood vessels on the arm.