Some people commonly experience broken blood vessels under the skin of the arm. When the blood vessels break, the area becomes purplish or turns into tiny red spot. The ruptured or broken blood vessels on arm can be a cosmetic concern for most people. But, in some people the cause of broken blood vessels on arm may be an underlying medical condition. The blood vessels usually break under the skin of your arm and may affect the other tissues around your arm, especially if left untreated. Some home remedies can also help to get rid of it.
Broken blood vessels, medically termed as capillary rupture can be more noticeable on the arms in some people. Capillaries are thin vessels like veins and arteries deep under the muscles and tissues which may get ruptured.
The causes of broken blood vessels on arm include a variety of reasons like,
You will notice a bruise appearing on the affected area of your arm after the blood vessel breaks. In most cases, the broken blood vessels on arm seal or heal naturally without medical treatment and drugs. However, if major injury is the cause of broken blood vessels on arm then it may require medical assistance for quicker recovery and proper treatment.
Types of Broken Blood Vessels
There are two different types of broken blood vessels that may appear on your arm.
- Common bruising is the first type of broken blood vessel that may look like purplish welt in an area.
- Blood spot on arm is another type of broken blood vessel that may look like red spreading in the affected area.
What are the Common Symptoms of Broken Blood Vessels on Arm?
The main symptom of broken blood vessels on arm is the appearance of red or purple spots on skin. It is easier to detect the broken blood vessels on arm with mere examination. When the skin of your arm has purple welts or bright red spot then it indicates that you are having ruptured or broken blood vessels on arm.
The arm with broken blood vessels will become tender with unbearable pain in your arms, especially if the injury is serious. In minor injuries, the symptoms of broken blood vessels cannot be detected with mere examination.
Swelling around the affected area of your arm may also occur if the vessels are broken severely. Hematoma in arm or collection of blood is another possible sign of broken blood vessels on arm.
Causes of Broken Blood Vessels in Arm
- The commonest cause of broken blood vessels in arm is trauma. It can be a fall or minor bang due to which the blood vessels in arm get ruptured.
- Another reason that causes broken blood vessels in arm is medications. Certain drugs can make the capillaries fragile and weak, resulting in rupture with slight pressure. This occurs especially in the cases where the drug is pushed through injection in arms.
- Aging is another reason due to which the fragility of the skin makes the capillaries delicate and hence the blood vessels on arm break easily with little pressure.
- Fracture is another most common factor that causes broken blood vessels in arm. In such cases, the broken blood vessels may be deeply seated and is accompanied with severe pain.
- Medical conditions like blood dyscracias and liver failure may also cause broken blood vessels in arm in some people.
- Extreme hot and cold weather conditions may also break the superficial blood vessels.
Home Remedies to Treat Broken Blood Vessels in Arm
There are a variety of home remedies that can treat the broken blood vessels naturally. Some of the most common home remedies to treat the ruptured blood vessels naturally include:
Another effective home remedy to treat the broken blood vessels is by applying cold compress on the affected area. This natural remedy can prove to be helpful for broken blood vessels. You simply need to place an ice pack or washcloth soaked in ice water on the affected area for 5-10 minutes and press it for a while. Remove the ice pack for 5 minutes and repeat the process again. The cold temperature helps to reduce inflammation and redness caused by broken blood vessels. It also soothes the skin and alleviates the pain.
Essential oil is very effective in treating broken blood vessels naturally at home. You are required to prepare a mixture with 10 drops of pure essential oil and 4 ounces of moisturizer and apply this mixture on the affected areas for two to three times a day to treat the condition naturally. Home remedies to get rid of broken blood vessels include a wide range of essential oils chamomile and rose popular for this purpose. You can use the apt ones with the help of an expert.
Vitamin C and K
Vitamin K and C are another great remedies to get rid of broken blood vessels naturally. Apply the moisturizer or cream rich in Vitamin C on the affected area before bedtime for better absorption. Applying the cream rich in Vitamin K on this can help to maintain the flexibility of the blood vessels. This formula can be used to heal the broken blood vessels on arm. Consuming nutritional supplements of these vitamins may be considered with medical advice.
Blood thinners are also widely used today as a home remedy to treat the broken blood vessels. These are anti-coagulant medicines used to prevent formation of clots in arm. Nutritional supplements and food items that are high in salicylates, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E and these are often prescribed for thinning the blood. Peppermint, paprika, cinnamon, oregano, nuts, ginger, turmeric, licorice, curry powder, thyme and cayenne pepper are rich in salicylates.
To reduce the broken capillary redness you may make use of green concealer under the make-up foundation.