Feeling Cold All The Time?| 5 Possible Reasons You Are Freezing All The Time
Feeling Cold All The Time? Is It A Disease?
Quite often we come across people within our family or outside who tend to always feel cold to the extent that they keep shivering and always have to wear warm clothes. While feeling cold always may be a natural tendency for many people, it may also indicate a possible underlying medical condition.
Feeling always cold can also be described medically as cold intolerance where even mild cold conditions may cause an individual to shiver(1). Cold intolerance is seen mostly in lean people without much body fat(2). In some cases, only a certain part of the body may feel cold, like the hand, while the other parts of body may not be that affected(1).
Occasionally feeling chills is not a cause for concern, but it is imperative for individuals who always feel cold to get checked up with a doctor to look for a cause for always feeling cold. This article gives a brief overview of some of the possible causes to why you are always feeling cold.
5 Possible Reasons You are Freezing All The Time
- Anemia. This is a common condition which causes the affected individual to always feel cold. Anemia is a condition in which the body is not able to make enough RBCs and carry oxygenated blood throughout the body. As a result many vital organs of the body are deprived of the amount of oxygen they require to function normally. Aside from feeling cold there are also a host of symptoms of anemia that include: feeling always lethargic and fatigued, looking pale and irregular heartbeat(1).
- Hypothyroidism: This is yet another common cause as to why you may always feel cold. Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland is not able to make enough hormones that are required for the metabolism process to take place in the body(1). Apart from feeling cold always, other symptoms of hypothyroidism include: baldness, excessively dry skin, lethargy, irregular periods for females and excessive weight gain(1).
- Blood Vessel Problems. A blocked blood vessel can also be a possible cause for an individual always feeling cold(3). This is especially true if the individual feels persistently cold in the upper or lower extremities. This happens because a blocked blood vessel restricts flow of blood to the extremities resulting in the individual feeling cold(3). Some of the conditions which may lead to blocked blood vessels are clotting disorder or arteriosclerosis. In these conditions, aside from feeling cold, the individual may also experience bluish discoloration of the extremities along with numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes is another possible reason why you feel cold all the time(4). Diabetes or uncontrolled blood sugars inflict significant damage to the kidneys. This is what causes an individual to feel cold all the time. Apart from feeling cold, the individual will also experience nausea, vomiting, severe itching, appetite loss, breathing problems, mental confusion or swelling of the extremities.
- Anorexia. This is a condition in which individuals are so scared of gaining weight that they stop eating and as a result become malnourished and thin(1). Because of severe loss of fat, anorexic people tend to feel cold all the time(1). Anorexia is a possible reason why you feel cold all the time. Other symptoms of anorexia disorder include: Being below the ideal weight for age and height, always preoccupied with weight, and in females not having periods for more than two months.
What Can I Do About It?
As always, feeling cold may indicate potentially serious medical issues; thus it should never be ignored. In case if you are feeling cold even at relatively warm conditions, then it is imperative that a consultation with a physician is done to identify the underlying cause and start treatment for it.
If an individual has diabetes, then tight control of blood sugar can go a long way in helping the individual deal with persistent coldness. For individuals with hypothyroidism, getting thyroid supplements to treat the condition can also help in getting rid of always feeling cold.