Facts About Peptic Ulcer
- Peptic ulcer is a sore in the inner lining of the esophagus, duodenum or stomach
- The two most important contributing factors to be blamed for ulcers formation are the stomach infection by a bacterium called “H. pylori”(Helicobacter pylori)” and chronic usage of NSAIDs (non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications) .
- Smoking Cigarette is also a leading cause for failure of treatment of ulcers.
- Most common symptom is pain that can occur anywhere in the region from the belly button till the breast bone. It occurs after a span of one to three hours after consumption of food or when the stomach is empty. Sometimes it is felt in the back. The pain persists from a couple of minutes to several hours. It is intermittent. The condition worsens during nighttime or when a person is lying down.
Herbal Remedies For Peptic Ulcer
Herbs can come into aid for healing peptic ulcer and in preventing its recurrence. Since the underlying reasons of problems related to gastro-intestine are complex, there is not one single simple herbal treatment existing for it. Their combination varies according to the problems specific to the patient. Here is a look at the various categories of herbs that can be used as part of the formula for curing peptic ulcer.
- Demulcent herbs : Help in cooling and soothing the irritation of the mucous membranes and helps in healing of gut mucosa. Symptomatic relief for peptic ulcers can be provided by them quite quickly e.g. Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow).
- Astringent herbs : help in bleeding control, toning and tightening the mucosa and help in shrinking swollen tissue in peptic ulcer conditions e.g. Geranium.
- Antiseptic herb: such as Echinacea or Baptisia may be helpful in curing any infection that is present.
- Nervine herbs: such as chamomile and hops are good addition to a formula catered for the treatment of peptic ulcer patients. Sometimes stress accompanies ulcers.
- Bitter herbs: are helpful in stimulating digestive secretions needed for assimilation and digestion of food.
Home Remedies For Peptic Ulcer
Pursuing conventional way of treating ulcer problems which leads to further complications in the digestive system we can take the route of homemade remedies mentioned below and lead a healthy life.
- Fenugreek leaves contain compounds that can heal peptic ulcer. Boil 1 cup of fenugreek leaves and add a pinch of salt to it. Drink this twice a day.
- Before antibiotics came into existence, cabbage juice was found to be helpful in treatment of duodenal and peptic ulcers. They are naturally rich in friendly lactic acid bacteria and are a good vitamin C source, whose contents were found to be minimal in gastric juices of patients’ suffering from ulcer. Consume a half cup of fresh cabbage juice daily before each meal and at bedtime. This will help strengthen the stomach lining and heal the ulcer.
- Dry, unripe bananas contain sitoindosides which increase digestive tracts’ mucus, thereby providing a protective layering and helping in prevention and healing of peptic ulcers.
- They also promote intestinal tract’s cell growth. They contain the same water soluble compounds namely, polysaccharides found in the drug “Carafate” used for curing duodenal ulcer patients. But maximum results are obtained with banana powder. Below mentioned are some steps about the process of making banana powder and the dosage:-
- After peeling the bananas, make thin slices.
- Dry them slowly in an oven, sun or food dehydrator.
- After drying is completed, grind the dried bananas into a fine powder.
- Make a mixture of two tablespoons of powder contents and one tablespoon of honey.
- Take it thrice daily: morning, afternoon, and at bedtime.
- Raw honey has an enzyme called glucose oxidase which produces hydrogen peroxide, helpful in killing harmful bacteria that are the main source of peptic ulcer problems. Presence of antibacterial floral substances in honey enhances elimination of bacteria. Take two tablespoons of natural, unprocessed honey a day .When the problem has eased, 1 tablespoon daily will probably be enough.
- Garlic has antibacterial properties to fight the bacteria. pylori (Helicobacter pylori). Eating daily 2- 3 cloves of crushed garlic during meals helps in easing the inflammation of the stomach and prevent peptic ulcer.
- For treatment of peptic ulcer, Cayenne pepper is another helpful remedy. Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin that helps in regulating the digestive system and promotes the production of healthy mucus in the membranes that line internal organs. Take one-eighth portion of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and water in a glass. Consume twice daily and gradually increase the intake to a quarter portion of a teaspoon.
- Add a teaspoon of powdered bark of the slippery elm to a cup of warm water and mix it well. Drink thrice daily the mixture. The slippery elm bark is a soothing demulcent which perfectly suits to the requirement for ulceration or inflammation anywhere and also peptic ulcer along the digestive tract.
- Coconut oil has certain anti-bacterial properties that kill bacteria causing peptic ulcers and is widely used as a natural ingredient in the treatment of various problems of the stomach.
Lifestyle Changes To Help You Cope With Peptic Ulcer
Our health deteriorates due to the imbalanced lifestyle that we follow. Regularly practicing the following steps can keep a check on peptic ulcer problems.
- Practicing Healthy Diet Habits:- Choosing a healthy diet full of fruits, cereals, vegetables and vitamin rich foods can help in healing peptic ulcer effectively.
- Stress Control:- Stress worsens the condition of a peptic ulcer, so developing habit of coping with stress through effective exercise and pursuing hobbies is recommended.
- Quit Smoking To Prevent Peptic Ulcer:- Smoking increases the concentration of stomach acid and may create problem by interfering with the stomach’s protective lining and cause ulcers like peptic ulcer.
- Avoid Alcohol Consumption To Stop Stomach Inflammation And Peptic Ulcers:- Excessive consumption of alcohol can lead to irritation and eroding of the mucous lining of intestine and stomach which ultimately leads to bleeding and inflammation and also causes peptic ulcers.
- Food Intolerance:- Avoid taking spicy and junk food and keep a check on intake of food items which causes irritation and heat in the stomach and causes ulcer. Emphasis should be given on cooling foods. Limit the intake of caffeine and sugar.
Peptic ulcers are generally the outcome of an unhealthy lifestyle and food habits. Holistic alternative and home remedies can pave the way to address the root cause of the problem and leading a healthier life.