Kokum butter is extracted from Garcinia Indica, commonly known as the kokum. Generally used as a substitute of cocoa butter, kokum butter contains anti-inflammatory properties and can soothe irritated skin. Kokum butter is used as an ointment that helps retain the moisture level and softness of your skin. Hence, kokum butter is extremely good and effective for use on all types of skin, especially for acne-prone and oily skin. Kokum butter is traditionally used in India, but this butter hasn’t got much attention worldwide yet and is overlooked.
Kokum butter has a clement to non-existent scent and is frequently used in skin care products, such as lip balms, body lotions, moisturizers, soaps etc. Another distinctive quality of kokum butter making it acknowledged among the manufacturers of cosmetic and beauty care industry is that it remains in the solid state at room temperature too; however, when it comes in contact with the skin, kokum butter melts instantly. Kokum Butter is among the hardest butter and has an exceptionally good shelf-life. Kokum Butter is white in color and has a dense and friable consistency. By using kokum butter in your skin and hair care recipes, you can add to the tenacity of your DIYs routine.
Superb Benefits of Kokum Butter for Skin Health
Below are given 10 superb benefits of the wonderful kokum butter for overall skin and hair health; and some effective DIYs using it.
Kokum Butter for Skin Rejuvenation
Kokum butter is extremely effective for sensitive skin, as it retains the moisture of your skin and rejuvenates the skin cells. Kokum butter efficiently fights against fine lines, scars, wrinkles, and dark spots on your skin. In the winter season, Kokum Butter protects your skin from getting dry and gives a shimmery and bright look to your skin for the whole day. Unlike other ordinary butters, kokum butter is very light on applying and contains very light fragrance as well. The best thing about Kokum Butter is that it works for all types of skin.
Kokum Butter to Cure Acne
The problem of acne occurs when the pores of your skin become blocked with bacteria, oil, dirt or dead skin. Kokum butter is non-comedogenic, which means it can unclog your pores if you apply it regularly. The main problem with most of the cosmetic products is that they may clog the pores of your skin and cause acne. However, it doesn’t happen in case of kokum butter, which makes it a wonderful ingredient for overall skin and hair health. Hence, it is a great solution to protect your skin from acne.
Anti-Ageing Effects of Kokum Butter for Younger Looking Skin
Kokum butter is very helpful in reducing the appearance of wrinkles from your skin. You can apply kokum butter directly on your skin or can use the products that contain kokum butter to reduce the ageing effects on the skin.
Kokum butter is rich in vitamin E that maintains the elasticity of your skin. Regular application of this magical ingredient can make your skin healthy, wrinkle-free, and young. Moreover, the presence of antioxidants in kokum butter keeps your skin hydrated, improve the skin tone, and make your skin youthful and beautiful. Kokum butter is also well known for developing new skin cells. This way, Kokum Butter keeps wrinkles away from your skin for longer and also prevents other signs of ageing.
Kokum Butter for Repairing Damaged Skin & Treating Minor Skin Issues
Kokum butter is largely used as an ingredient in skin moisturizers and lip balms because of its emollient and antioxidant properties. Kokum butter is highly beneficial if you have scaly and dry skin, cracked feet, chapped lips or dry hands. Kokum butter not only repairs your damaged skin, but also make it supple and soft for longer. Application of this amazing butter helps in treating wounds, burns, and rashes as well; and all of this makes kokum butter a wonderful ingredient for overall skin health.
Kokum Butter for Skin Cells Oxygenation
Most of the skincare products claim that they are skin friendly, but in reality, it is not true. Sometimes they can harm your skin badly. On the other hand, kokum butter contains essential fatty acids, such as omega 3, 6, and 9, which aids in skin cell oxygenation. It means the skin easily absorbs or accepts the nutrients which are present in kokum butter resulting in a healthy and glowing skin.
Kokum Butter as a Body Lotion with SPF
In the summer season, everybody wants a very light moisturizer on their skin, so that it does not make them sweat more. When your skin sweats, it becomes necessary to moisturize your skin, as it is losing its moisture in the form of sweat. Here, kokum butter can help you a lot as it is not only light, but also keeps your skin moisturized for all day long.
For making kokum butter body lotion at home, simply take 50 g of kokum butter, 1 tbsp apricot seed oil, and 1 tsp raspberry seed oil. Blend all these ingredients in a blender and store it in a bottle. This kokum butter body lotion will keep your skin moisturized, as well as protect you from harmful UV rays, which is very necessary for the summer season.
DIYs to Incorporate Kokum Butter in Your Skincare Routine
Here are some fine ideas to make kokum butter body care and skin care products on your own at your home.
Kokum Body Butter.
It is an extremely hydrating mix of kokum butter, cocoa butter shea butter, mango butter, coconut oil, arrowroot powder, sweet almond oil and essential oils of your choice. Kokum butter contains deep moisturizing properties, which help soothe and nurture the skin. The stearic acid in kokum butter consists of firming properties so the skin looks fresh and firm all the time.
What You Need.
- ½ cup mango butter
- ¼ cup each of shea butter, cocoa butter, kokum butter, sweet almond oil and coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Up to 30 drops of your favorite essential oils (optional)
Way to Make.
- Measure the ingredients into a glass bowl or a Pyrex (heat-resistant glass) measuring cup.
- Melt the oils and butter by heating the container using a boiler. You can use the double boiler method. For this, fill the saucepan with the required amount of water and place your bowl or measuring glass inside the pot, set it on medium flame and stir regularly. You can also use a microwave for melting, place the bowl in the microwave for a few minutes but make sure that you take it out for stirring every 30 seconds. You also have to make sure that the ingredients are completely melted before moving on the next step.
- Add the essential oils and arrowroot powder in the melted mixture and stir well, make sure that it is mixed well and no lumps are left.
- Refrigerate it for 1-2 hours or freeze for 20-30 minutes. Wait for it to solidify but not completely stiffen. The texture of the mixture should be similar to softened butter or mushy wax.
- Now shift it to a large bowl and whip until it gets squishy and fluffy. You have to whip it continuously until it becomes stiff enough to hold its shape. If there are any lumps after whipping, whip it again. You’ll have to use a power mixer or a blender for this process.The signal that your whipped mixture is on the correct path is that its color will change from yellow to pale yellow and then to white.
- When you are done with the whipping process, the mixture should be white in color, its consistency should be thick, fluffy, light, soft and silky and it should stand on its own.
- Your home made body butter containing the wonderful ingredient kokum butter is now ready. Now transfer the mixture to a glass jar or any other suitable container for storing and using when needed.
- Whipped body butter will melt on contact with your skin, it will make your skin appear oily at first, but it will be absorbed very quickly and will make your skin soft and plump.
Kokum Butter Balm For Cracked Lips And Heels.
There is no better way to rejuvenate and heal your dry and chapped lips than a balm made with kokum butter. Kokum butter makes your lips soft and helps in healing the chapped lips by making them smooth. Vitamin E present in kokum butter helps to heal the cracks on lips, soles of feet, hands and inflammation on the skin.
The emollient nature of kokum butter makes it an effective cure to smoothen the skin around the heels of your feet. Regular application of kokum butter at night will make the cracks disappear in just a few days. When applied on cracked heels or foot sores, kokum butter leads to restoration of the skin. Kokum butter absorbs easily in your skin so it shows faster results.
What You Need.
- 10 g of Avocado oil
- 11 g of Beeswax
- 15 g of Coconut oil
- 12 g of Calendula infused oil
- 12 g of Kokum butter
- 10 drops of Sweet orange essential oil
- 20 drops of Vitamin E oil
- 2 drops of Anise Essential oil
- 2 drops of Clary sage essential oil
- 2 drops of Cardamom essential oil
- 2 drops of Palmarosa essential oil
- 2 drops of Ylang-Ylang essential oil
Way to Make.
- Add kokum butter, calendula oil, avocado oil, coconut oil and beeswax into a measuring cup made of glass Pyrex.
- Set the cup on a canning ring placed in a vessel with hot water. Heat the container until the ingredients melt completely.
- Turn off the heat and add vitamin E oil and other essential oils in the cup, and stir well.
- After the ingredients are blended properly, carefully pour the melted mixture into a lip balm container and fill it up to the top. Allow it to cool down completely and cap the lip balm container. Your homemade natural kokum butter lip balm is ready.
- Kokum Butter Bath Melts. This is a completely natural way to revive your overall skin with this wonderful ingredient while bathing.
What You Need.
- 0.5 oz. Kokum Butter
- 0.5 oz. Shea butter
- 1.5 oz. Refined coconut oil
- 0.5 oz. Argan oil
- 5 oz. Natural cocoa butter
- 6ml Lemon verbena essential oil or your preferred essential oils
- Plastic transfer pipettes
- Containers with Lid
- Digital kitchen scale
- Silicone flower mould or you can choose any other silicone mould with designs of your choice.
Way to Make.
- By using the digital scale, weigh kokum butter, shea butter and cocoa butter in a glass Pyrex measuring cup.
- Place the cup in the microwave and melt the butter slowly, until the mixture is completely melted.
- Add coconut oil to the melted butter and stir well until it melts completely in the butter.
- Now add argan oil to the cup, add essential oils into the cup using a pipette to measure out the amount of oil needed. Stir it well and then slowly pour the melted mix into the moulds.
- After filling up the moulds, place them in the freezer for about 20-25 minutes for the bath melts to solidify. After the bath melts become solid, take them out of the moulds and store it in your desired containers.
Have fun bathing with them!
Let us now look at the hair health benefits with this wonderful ingredient, i.e. kokum butter.
Hair Health Benefits Of Kokum Butter
Kokum butter is great, not only for skin but for hair as well. Let’s see how.
Kokum Butter for Overall Hair Health
This amazing butter is great for overall hair care. Regular application of kokum butter to your hair can make them thicker, stronger, bouncier, and less prone to split ends. Kokum Butter can also effectively manage curly and frizzy hair.
Combine kokum butter with your preferred oils and massage it gently to your scalp and hair. Kokum Butter will definitely prevent the hairs from damage and maintain the overall hair health.
Kokum Butter for Hair Strengthening and Nourishment
The nutrients of kokum butter are easily absorbed by the scalp, as it supports cell oxidation. This benefit of kokum butter makes it a wonderful ingredient for overall hair health. Kokum Butter prevents hair breakage and rejuvenates hair. Moreover, kokum butter increases the elasticity of your hair and strengthens its strands. Kokum butter gives a complete nourishing atmosphere to your hair; hence, it is the ultimate solution for scalp treatment. The restorative properties of this wonderful ingredient help in the regeneration of new hair follicles and give a dense look to your hair.
So, Kokum butter is the best option for those who have weak hair. Massaging kokum butter on your scalp not only makes your hairs strong, but also prevents them from breakage. At the same time, kokum butter nourishes the scalp very well.
Kokum Butter Encourages Hair Growth
Premature baldness, hair loss and hair fall are some of the issues that have been troubling most of the people. To fight with these problems, kokum butter is highly recommended as it promotes hair growth. Kokum butter makes your skin more observant for the nutrients and thereby rejuvenates your scalp and encourages healthy hair growth. Kokum Butter contains high oxidation capacity; hence, it does not clog the scalp pores and the antioxidants and main nutrients reaches to it very easily and enhances the hair growth.
Combine kokum butter, camellia oil and coconut oil in equal amounts. Gently massage it on your scalp and hairs at night before going to bed. This Kokum Butter hair treatment is excellent for those who are suffering from hair loss.
Kokum Butter Works as a Great Natural Conditioner
Kokum butter is used as an ingredient in some of the hair conditioners available in the market. But the interesting thing is that you can use Kokum Butter directly on your hair as your regular conditioner after washing your hair with a mild shampoo. Kokum Butter will make your hair softer, smoother and shinier.
Note. Kokum butter is a bit dry; hence, it is essential to combine it with other oils, so that it becomes easy to use. If you are using Kokum Butter on your hair, combine it with coconut oil and apply as your regular oil before shampoo.
Being abundant in essential fatty acids and non-comedogenic properties, Kokum Butter is ideal for restoring skin and hair health. Kokum Butter helps in the oxygenation of the cells, making essential nutrients easily accessible to the skin tissues of the scalp, thereby helping stimulate hair growth. Kokum Butter also aids and increases hair elasticity, strengthens hair and helps prevent breakage. Kokum Butter can also be used as a conditioner to get shiny, smooth and manageable hair.
The advantages of kokum butter are not limited to these points only. Kokum Butter is also a good option for people having extremely sensitive skin because of its soothing and mild properties. Kokum Butter is largely used in making lotions, lipsticks, ointments, conditioners, shampoos and soaps. Though, we advise you to use it in its purest form for attaining the nourishing and natural healing benefits of this wonderful ingredient, which is Kokum Butter.