There are various benefits of being out there in the sun. It boosts the serotonin level, it helps produce vitamin D which is very good for our bones, teeth, and skin. Many of you love to flaunt the tanned look as well, which is why you expose your skin to the sun. Here we discuss some tips for getting suntan safely.
6 Tips For Getting Suntan Safely
Along with benefits, sun exposure for a long time exposes the body to the harmful UV rays which puts you at the risk of various conditions such as premature aging, sunburn, and skin cancer. If you really love the sun-kissed look, you should know how to get it safely.
Let us look at some of the important tips for getting suntan safely.
- Avoid Sun Beds – Many salons offer a healthy tan with a sunbed. These tanning beds emit a lot of UVA rays and less of UVB rays (which stimulate vitamin D production). This can increase the risk of cancer largely.1 One of the most important tips for getting suntan safely is to avoid the use of tanning beds.
- Apply Sunscreen – You can tan even with the sunscreen on. It can extend the time you can be out in the sun for, as it provides protection against UVB and UVA rays. Melanin present in the skin cells is responsible for imparting the color to the skin and also it protects the skin from the UV rays. More melanin means darker skin. Fair skin people have low amount of melanin which leaves their skin vulnerable to carcinogenic UV rays. One of the other important tips for getting suntan safely is to use a good sunscreen that can protect your skin. Always remember to apply sun protection factor (SPF) 15 to 20 minutes before going out in the sun, also reapply it 15 to 30 minutes after you have been exposed to the sun. If some water work is done you have to reapply because water washes away the sunscreen. Sunscreen application lessens the damage caused by UV rays.
- Do Not Stay In The Sun For Long – Avoid overexposing your body to the sun rays if you desire a healthy glowing tan. Divide your time evenly in the sun. This will protect you from the sunburns and also allow your body to produce melanin to protect you next time when you tan. Choose wisely the time you go out for the outdoor suntan. Avoid the time when the UV rays strength is the strongest.
- Wear A Hat And Shades – The skin around the eyes is very delicate and sensitive to UV rays. If you do not protect the eyes while going out in the sun you can increase the risk of developing a cataract, age-related macular degeneration, and even eye cancers. Wear large frames so that they protect eyes from the light coming from any angle, and also look for ones labeled as UV protective glasses. Wearing a hat with the brim of two or three inches protects your eyes, ear, forehead, nose, and scalp, and also makes you look stylish while getting tan.
- Exfoliate the Skin – To achieve the best tan outdoor it is important you exfoliate your skin before. Exfoliation removes the dead skin from the upper layers and exposes the fresh skin out. Removing the dead skin can even out the tone, remove the dirt clogging the pores, and also prevent the development of acne. Tan in the skin with less dead cells lasts longer and also appears even.
- Drink Lots Of Water – Being out in sun for long can dehydrate the body and make your skin look lifeless. Drink plenty of water and other fluids to keep on the glow with a tanned look.
These tips for getting suntan safely can surely be of great help. Always remember the skin needs time to repair itself after a day out in the sun. Plan out accordingly and follow the above steps to sport a healthy and radiant tan skin.