How Do You Fix Cardiomyopathy?
Cardiomyopathy problem indicates various other diseases associated with weak heart muscles. These diseases often come with a large number of signs and symptoms, while it takes place because of many reasons and thereby, require different types of treatment procedures.
In case of cardiomyopathy, the heart muscles of a person become rigid, thick or enlarge. Moreover, in some cases, scar tissues replace muscle tissues present in one’s heart. As the problem of cardiomyopathy becomes worse, the heart of a person becomes weak and thereby, becomes less able to pump the blood from the entire body and/or maintaining its regular electrical rhythm.
This leads to irregular heartbeat or heart failure referred as arrhythmias. Along with this, heart failure causes the formation of fluid in ankles, legs, feet and abdominal areas. Rigidity of heart muscles or weak muscles of a person’s heart causes many other complications, including a large number of heart valve or cardiac problems.
When Treatment Becomes Essential?
In most of the cases, the people suffering from the problem of cardiomyopathy do not experience any sign or symptom, because of which they do not require any treatment. Experts refer this condition as dilated cardiomyopathy, which comes suddenly, while goes away on own. However, in case of other individuals suffering from the problem, require treatments.
Factors to Decide the Right Treatment
Treatment of cardiomyopathy depends on different factors, which are-
- Severity associated with symptoms of an individual
- Complications present in the cardiomyopathy disease
- Age and health of any individual
Objectives to Treat Cardiomyopathy Problem
Treatment of cardiomyopathy has many goals, which include the following-
- To control signs and symptoms effectively, so that a person leads normal life
- To manage any condition that contributes or causes cardiomyopathy problem
- To reduce the risk related to sudden cardiac arrest or reduce complications
- To stop worsening of the disease
How Do You Fix Cardiomyopathy?
Treatments to cure cardiomyopathy may involve the following important steps-
Heart-Healthy Changes in Lifestyle
Doctors may recommend lifestyle changes directed towards managing conditions, which cause the problem of cardiomyopathy. These include-
- To follow a heart-healthy diet plan
- To maintain a healthy weight
- To manage the stress
- To involve in physical activities
- To quit the bad habit of smoking
Doctors often prescribe either or a combination of following medicines to treat the problem of cardiomyopathy.
Aldosterone Blockers: Aldosterone blockers medications balance electrolytes in the body, while simultaneously, assure proper functions of nerves and muscular tissues.
Electrolytes refer to minerals helpful in maintaining fluid levels and balance of acid-base in a human body.
Antiarrhythmics: Antiarrhythmics are responsible to maintain a normal heartbeat and in preventing arrhythmias.
ACE inhibitors, Calcium Channel Blockers and Beta Blockers: ACE inhibitors, Calcium Channel Blockers and Beta Blockers help in lowering the blood pressure of a person. In addition, beta-blockers help in slowing the heart rate.
Anticoagulants: Blood thinners or anticoagulants medications prevent the clotting of blood in patients.
Corticosteroids: Corticosteroids medicines are useful in reducing the problem of inflammation.
Diuretics: Diuretics, also known as water pills are medicines helpful in the removal of extra sodium from one’s body to reduce the exact amount of fluid present in the blood.
Doctors use nonsurgical procedure referred as septal ablation for cardiomyopathy treatment. In this case, doctor injects a special type of alcohol i.e. ethanol via a tube into small artery responsible for supplying blood to the heart muscles’ thick area. Ethanol kills the harmful cell and thereby, causes shrink of the thick tissue to its normal size.
Doctors perform septal myectomy, an open-heart surgery to treat patients with severe symptoms. This procedure involves the removal of thick septum that bulges within the left ventricle. The surgery improves the flow of blood via heart and out towards the body.
Therefore, depending on the severity of a patient with cardiomyopathy, doctors/surgeons recommend for aforementioned treatments.
- Cardiomyopathy - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
- Restrictive Cardiomyopathy: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention, Prognosis
- What is Peripartum Cardiomyopathy: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis
- What is the Life Expectancy Of A Woman Who Has Cardiomyopathy?
- How Is Dilated Cardiomyopathy Treated?
- Is Dilated Cardiomyopathy Reversible?
- How Long Does A Person live After Being Diagnosed With Cardiomyopathy?