PAPVR when diagnosed can be intimidating and scary however don’t keep your health issues to yourself instead ask for help and accept help.1
The good news is PAPVR and ASD (Atrial Septal Defect) surgery will correct the issue and you can slowly go back to normal life so don’t indulge yourself with distractive and dark thoughts.2
PAPVR surgery is the best mode of surgery to correct the defects and to resume the normal function of the pulmonary veins.3, 4
How To Cope With PAPVR?
PAPVR can develop in any relatively healthy individual. So, when you are diagnosed with the condition, it can be intimidating and scary. But what exactly is PAPVR? When the heart function normally, oxygen-poor blood is received by the right atrium of the heart then your pulmonary artery pumps to the right ventricle. Your pulmonary veins pump the oxygen-rich red blood to your left atrium, travels to the left ventricle, and pumps to the aorta of the heart.
However, with PAPVR, one or more pulmonary veins pump the oxygen-rich red blood to the right side of the heart instead of the left side.
Medical studies state that people experiencing PAPVR also have ASD (Atrial Septal Defect) It is a hole between the septum, or muscular wall, and the atria.1 The good news is PAPVR and ASD surgery will correct the issue and you can slowly go back to normal life so don’t indulge yourself with distractive and dark thoughts.
Learn More About Your Problems – It is normal to feel afraid after a complication and you can be unsure of your future. Every patient with PAPVR suffers from a certain degree of fear that can prevent you from getting well and staying well. Therefore, lessen your fear by exploring more information
Fight With Your Depression – Heart disease and surgery can be depressing and makes you feel low with depression and hopelessness. Talk with someone, it can be your healthcare provider, someone you can trust, your family member who can help with your problems.
Indulge With Regular Physical Activity- Physical exercises help manage your symptoms and improve quality of life. However, heavy exercises can cause shortness of breath so perform exercises under medical supervision.2
What Is The Best Treatment For PAPVR?
Although not all, most children will require PAPVR repair surgery. PAPVR surgery is the best mode of surgery to correct the defects and to resume the normal function of the pulmonary veins. If only one vein is abnormal, there will not be any complications however when there is an anomaly on both the veins, there will be an enlargement in the vessel or dilate.
So, the specialists suggest surgery to correct PAPVR to live long and active lives after their repair. The long-term outcome of surgical repair of PAPVR with ASD symptoms remains excellent.3,4
Congenital heart defects are the most common type of birth defect in the United States, and approximately 1 million people are living with this condition. Nearly 100-200 people die every year due to unrecognized heart disease. The defect involves the wall, valves, arteries, and ventricles of the heart.
Partial Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return (PAPVR) is frequently associated with other congenital heart diseases, where one or more of a child’s pulmonary veins do not connect normally to the left atrium.
- “5 Practices That Helped Me Cope with Open-Heart Surgery for PAPVR and ASD Repair: Open Heart Surgery, Congenital Heart Defect, Heart Surgery Recovery.” Pinterest, www.pinterest.fr/pin/300685712618873087/.
- El-Kersh, Karim, et al. “Partial Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return: A Case Series with Management Approach.” Respiratory Medicine Case Reports, Elsevier, 3 Apr. 2019, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6456451/.
- “Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return.” Barton Health | Health Library | Staywell Health Library | Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return, www.bartonhealth.org/tahoe/health-library/total-anomalous-pulmonary-venous-return-18242.aspx?iid=90_P01820.
- “PAPVR Repair Surgery: Norton Children’s Louisville, Ky.” Norton Children’s, https://nortonchildrens.com/services/cardiology/conditions/treatments/surgical/papvr-repair/
- What Is Echocardiographic Diagnosis Of PAPVR?
- What Is PAPVR Repair & What Are The Repair Complications?
- What Leads To PAPVR & Can It Be Cured?