Hidradenitis Suppurativa Diet: Foods to Eat & Foods to Avoid for Hidradenitis suppurativa
If you have Hidradenitis suppurativa and are looking for the appropriate diet, then this is the post you need to go through where we have mentioned about the foods you need to eat and foods you need to avoid in Hidradenitis suppurativa. But before you go through it, we must also mention that no specific diet has shown to cure Hidradenitis suppurativa and there is a need for further research on how food choices affect this medical condition. However, there are some limited evidence which suggests that specific steps might be helpful, which include foods to add and foods to eliminate in Hidradenitis suppurativa.
Hydradentis Suppurativa Diet:
As per one study involving 12 participants with Hidradenitis suppurativa, it was found that avoidance of wheat and brewer’s yeast for about 12 months, has shown an immediate reduction and stabilized the symptoms in Hidradenitis suppurativa. However, an immediate recurrence of skin lesions occurred following accidental or voluntary consumption of beer or any other food containing brewer’s yeast or wheat.
Again, there is no scientific evidence to support this, but the paleo diet which involves avoiding grains, dairy and beans, is widely promoted as the cure for Hidradenitis suppurativa.
As Hidradenitis suppurativa is an anti-inflammatory condition, following an anti-inflammatory diet may play a crucial role in treating the condition.
Emerging research has shown that zinc can aid with hidradenitis suppurativa. Patients who take zinc gluconate, 90mg/day along with a topical medicine, show significant reductions in the appearance of boils after about 3 months of the treatment.
Let us look into the foods to eat and foods to avoid for Hidradenitis suppurativa, in a precise way.
Foods to Eat for Hidradenitis Suppurativa:
- Eat a diet that is rich in fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Consume cold water or fatty fish such as salmon, trout or tuna, at least two times in a week.
- Include plenty of unsaturated fats to your diet for Hidradenitis suppurativa, such as olive oil, avocado, nuts and seeds.
- Incorporate plenty of green juice in your Hidradenitis suppurativa diet.
- Consume mainly organic meats, produce and other organic foods
Foods to Avoid for Hidradenitis Suppurativa:
- Avoid more of sugar. Limiting foods with added sugars and syrups, like, cereals, sodas, candy etc, might reduce the insulin levels and also ease the symptoms of hydradenitis suppurativa.
- Avoid dairy products like milk, cheese etc. which can increase your insulin levels, which may in turn lead to overproduction of androgen hormones that play crucial role in Hidradenitis suppurativa. Eliminating dairy foods from your diet may reduce the number of new lesions that develop and reduce symptoms of hidradenitis suppurativa.
- Avoid white flour and wheat to your diet for Hidradenitis suppurativa
- Avoid refined or processed hyglycemic index foods
- Avoid food containing brewer’s yeast, which is an ingredient that helps bakery products, like bread, pizza dough and cake, to rise. Avoiding this might help promote the healing of skin lesions.
Now we are known to some of the diets to avoid and add when we have hidradenitis suppurativa. However, it is always essential for you to talk to your doctor before making any significant changes to your diet. One thing you need to know that if you opt to modify your diet then keep in mind that it might take months before you experience any improvement in your conditions.