Myths & Facts of Organic Foods
The moment we search about organic food items there is a slew of debates concerning this category of food which come up. Facts regarding their nutritional value, their price and their availability are bound to confuse the consumer. So, before you spend your money on organic food, you should glean all the facts about this food type as opposed to the prevalent myths surrounding organic foods. In this way, you will be a well informed buyer and a wise consumer. So, here are the myths described which people take as truth without making an effort to go deep down and explore the real facts about organic foods.
What is Organic Food?
Before we start this journey on debunking the myths and explaining the facts about organic food, let us first find out which food is identified as organic. Fruits, dairy, vegetables, meat products which are cultivated and processed following non-conventional methods in order to increase the conservation of water, soil and overall ecological balance are deemed organic. Organic food is the food which is produced without the use of manmade fertilizers, growth regulators, pesticides and any feed additive for the livestock.
Myths & Facts Regarding Organic Foods
MYTH #1: There are No Pesticides in Organic Food
- Well, most of the consumers believe that organic foods contain no pesticides, but the fact of the matter is organic farming does involve some pesticides.
- Researches and surveys confirm that nearly 20 chemicals are used frequently in organic farming, growing crops and processing the same.
- As per the report of Scientific American, US Organic Standards approve these chemicals.
- Now these pesticides utilized in organic farming are made using natural chemicals instead of the deadly synthetic ones.
- Now EPA does not test these chemicals safe yet and few chemicals like copper sulfate and pyrethrum are concluded more harmful and toxic than their replicated synthetic counterparts.
- Farmers tend to use pesticides to protect the crops, but they should also be following the strict standards as set by USDA.
- Surely, there has to be little pesticide residue as compared to the belief that organic foods contain no pesticide.
MYTH #2: Organic Foods are Not That Healthier
- People in vast number believe that organic food is not that healthier and they are not that better than traditionally farmed food, which the world has been consuming till date.
- Whereas, studies prove that organic food is a healthier choice and is definitely more nutritious.
MYTH #3: Organic Food Supplements Ecology
- Well, to some extent organic farming helps in maintaining greenery, thus preventing soil pollution, but this is possible when this is a family owned organic farming.
- Family owned farming has less pesticide content, so it does not pollute soil and environment.
- There is no contamination of soil and underwater in organic food farming, as pesticides are used in lesser quantities in organic farming.
- Organic food production also helps in conserving the biodiversity.
- Organic food farming also helps in preservation of local wildlife.
- Organic food production decreases soil erosion.
MYTH #4: Organic Foods are Just a Marketing Hype
- As according to a recent poll, it is seen that consumers tend to have a belief that organic farming and organic food is nothing, but marketing hype and it does not do any good at all.
- The tag organic is glued to make consumers spend more money. But the fact is, organic food is loaded with health benefits if the food is cultivated following the unique code of organics.
- Organic farming helps to maintain product safety and biodiversity, so organic farming is more than a mere marketing hype and its use is highly recommended.
MYTH #5: Organic Foods are Expensive than Conventional Food
- Since organic farming involves everything organic and non-synthetic, so there is a possibility that you have to pay a little extra for your organic crops, milk and meat.
- As projection cost is larger, demand is much, but the production is limited and food is shipped in smaller amounts, so overall organic food could be a little expensive, but that does not mean it is out of reach or unaffordable.
- There are affordable options, discounts, lucrative deals available on organic food and one just has to keep an eye open for all these deals.
- For example, there is CSA that is Community Supported Agriculture, where you will be paying a stipulated portion of local farming expense and in return you will be getting weekly boxes of organic vegetables and fruits.
MYTH #6: Organic Foods Contain Nothing Artificial
- There is a strict rule, which is maintained everywhere while producing organic food or any product, which is a ban on using artificial flavors and preservatives.
- Artificial sweeteners, flavorings, colorings and monosodium glutamate should be avoided in any case, whether it is organic food or otherwise.
MYTH #7: Organic Foods Prevent Cancer
- Few people believe that as organic foods do not contain any artificial coloring or preservatives, they won't cause cancer; well this is absolutely wrong.
- Organic food does help somewhat in prevention of cancer and other diseases by preventing the cancerous cells which generate from food and artificial coloring intake; however, organic food should be USSD certified 100% organic to prevent any type of diseases and then also one never knows.