SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) is identified as too much bacteria in your small intestine. This article discusses this condition and SIBO natural treatment.
SIBO or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth happens when bacteria that generally occupy the colon, travels to the small intestine, spreads on carbohydrates and get multiplied. Due to this, you may suffer from inflammation in the gut plus. SIBO may also give rise to other signs and symptoms throughout the body and most commonly in the digestive tract. The bacterium linked with SIBO can consume some nutrients and foods leading to unfriendly signs that include bloating, pain, and gas.
Some of the effective ways for SIBO natural treatment are discussed here. The common medical treatment that can cure SIBO is antibiotic therapy. These are best prescribed by the doctor and it is advisable to follow the advice. However, antibiotics should never be considered as the only medium for treating SIBO.
Before moving to the SIBO natural treatment, let us look at the 4R’s for healing SIBO. These include,
- Remove: It is regarded as the most important thing, to remove the unhealthy stuff. Here, your goal is to get rid of those things, which affect your gastrointestinal tract negatively, like inflammatory foods, gastric irritants, such as drugs, caffeine, and alcohol. Examples of inflammatory foods are dairy, soy, corn, gluten, sugar, peanuts and sometimes eggs.
- Replace: This is considered the second important point step and here you must substitute the good. You must add back the vital components needed for proper absorption and digestions, which may have been washed-out by drugs, like antacid medications, aging, diseases, or diet.
- Reinoculate as the Third Step in SIBO Treatment: Actually, restoring the beneficial bacteria for re-establishing a healthy equilibrium of useful bacteria is critical. This possible through a probiotic supplement, which contains useful bacteria, like lactobacillus species and bifidobacteria. Taking a prebiotic supplement or intake of foods that contain high-soluble fiber like carrots, radishes, onions, garlic, leeks, beets, jicama, and artichoke is vital.
- Repair: This is considered the last point and is important for supplying the nutrients vital for your gut. The key nutrients that are helpful include zinc, herbs, anti-oxidants, aloe vera, and omega-3 fish oils.
SIBO Natural Treatment
SIBO natural treatment includes some of the effective herbs and natural ingredients with extraordinary medicinal properties. These include
Berberine as a Natural Treatment for SIBO: It is recognized as a plant alkaloid that has been derived from various herbs that include Oregon grape root. Berberine is used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medications for a long period for its safety and effectiveness. This compound aids in extinguishing microbes and bacteria that augment blood sugar regulation and insulin sensitivity. It is also helpful for improving mood and it helps in lessening inflammation besides augmenting the integrity and the strength of the people’s gut lining. Studies too have shown that berberine extracts have antibacterial properties.1 This is one of the most promising SIBO natural treatments, found equivalent to antibiotic treatment.
Grape Fruit Seed Extract for SIBO Natural Treatment: Grapefruit seed extract contains high amounts of free-radical removing phytonutrients and antioxidants, known as bioflavonoids. According to a recent study, grapefruit seed extract was influential in killing 100 strains of fungus, 800 viral and bacterial strains and a huge number of single plus multi-celled parasites.
Oregano Oil: One of the SIBO natural treatment includes the use of oregano oil, for its antibacterial properties. This herb is rich in phenolic acids and phytochemical flavonoids. Besides, oregano oil also turns into an amazingly potent natural antibiotic. This strong anti-oxidant destroys yeasts, bacteria, and pathogenic bacteria and strongly inhibits the growth of intestinal microbes.1
Low FODMAPs Diet: One of the other SIBO natural treatment includes following a special diet to reduce the inflammatory response. A person who is suffering from SIBO is advised to start with a low FODMAPs diet for one month. FODMAPs means, “Fermentable Oligo, Di-and Monosaccharides, and Polyols. They are all kinds of sugar-based carbohydrates, which are available in some foods and they are challenging on your bowel. The sugars include fructose, polyols, galactans, lactose, etc. Several reports suggest that reduction in FODMAPs in the daily diet can improve functional gastrointestinal symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome, which has similar symptoms like SIBO.2
Diet and Lifestyle Changes for Natural Treatment of SIBO
Some effectual policies can beat this problem but it is always advisable to contact a physician before taking new medications. The effectual measures are:
- Hydrating Yourself While SIBO Treatment: This is one of the most important SIBO natural treatments, particularly vital to concentrate on electrolytes and hydration during this phase. Here, you are supposed to drinking water for nearly half-of-your-body weight. Water helps to flush out harmful bacteria from your system.
- Organic Acids: People suffering from SIBO respond well to organic acids, like lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. This too can be used effectively in your SIBO natural treatment plan.
- Intermittent Fasting as a Natural SIBO Treatment: Patients suffering from SIBO can do intermittent fasting to reduce the count of bacteria.
- Fluid Diet for SIBO Treatment: People can take protein shakes made of coconut milk, berries, grass-fed milk, and high-quality protein powder as a part of the SIBO natural treatment plan.
- Fermented Foods: An effective SIBO natural treatment would include the consumption of live and organic sauerkraut, natural pickles, coconut yogurt, kimchi, and coconut water kefir to reduce the bacteria and treat the condition.
- Regular Exposure to Sunlight to Treat SIBO: A regular exposure to sun improves your healing process via the integration of biophotons into your skin. This too may prove useful during SIBO natural treatment regimen.
- Improving Your Gut Motility: Refining the frequency of bowel movement and consistency are regarded as vital detoxification concepts and it helps in treating SIBO. Detoxification and clearing the gut is an essential part of SIBO natural treatment.
- Utilizing an Improved Support Supplement Program: A person is suffering from moderate to severe SIBO may experience deficiency of nutrition, hence the use of supplements must be considered.
Some alterations in your lifestyle are hugely helpful in effective SIBO natural treatment. When you are eating, chew your every bite thoroughly as the process of digestion begins from your mouth. These are some of the common suggestions to follow a SIBO natural treatment. However, the need and suitability vary from person to person, hence it is best to follow medical advice.
- What is Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth or SIBO & How is it Treated?
- What is SIFO or Small Intestine Fungal Overgrowth: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diet, Diagnosis
- SIBO Diet|SIBO Diet-Low FODMAPs|Guidelines for SIBO Diet