Delicious sweet foods and those desserts are really tasty and you often feel completely satisfied after eating them. While most people are well aware that sweet foods can increase your calorie intake, not many know that you become thirsty after having a dessert or eating sweet foods. May be that’s one of the reasons why different types of desserts or sweet foods are coupled with liquids like milk, or lemonade. It helps in fulfilling the desire of thirst in the body. It is important to know why you become thirsty after having a dessert and some ways to manage it.
Why Does One Feel Thirsty After Having a Dessert?
The scientifically proven reason which mainly answers the question of why do you become thirsty after having a dessert or eating sweet foods is that the sugar content in the food reacts with the cellular composition of the body, making a person feel thirsty.
The feeling of thirst is the basic desire to drink liquids, which is normal when it is within limit. What makes you thirsty is influenced by various conditions like weather, physical work, dietary factors and others. The body functions in a particular manner and presence of fluids in the body is an essential part of effective functioning of the body. When you become thirsty it means that your body needs fluids, more particularly water. If you become thirsty after having a dessert or eating sweet foods, it may mean that the consumption of sweet foods is affecting the water balance, increasing the demand for fluids in some way.
Have you ever wondered as to what happens after eating sweet foods? Here are some of the basic points, which explain why does one feel thirsty after having a dessert or eating sweet foods.
- When sugar enters your body, it starts flowing along with the circulation of blood in your body. The presence of sugar in the blood, funnels the water content from the blood cells and reduces its amount in your body. As the fluid levels decrease, your body sends a response to the brain, which triggers a stimulus for thirst, which signals your desire for thirst. This is why you become thirsty after having a dessert.
- During this process, the body also keeps a check on the blood circulation, so that the normal level of the sugar in the body, are maintained. Another principle that explains why you become thirsty after having a dessert is that, consumption of sweets causes overload of blood sugar. In order to balance this, more water is needed and hence the body tries to adjust the increased blood sugar by making you feel thirsty after having a dessert.
- Another important factor is that while you become thirsty after having a dessert, your thirst is excessively triggered by high consumption of salt and spice as well. With the same explanation, the desire for thirst increases, to maintain fluid levels in the body after eating such foods. Hence, if you eat sweet foods in combination with salty and spicy foods, you will still feel thirsty as a combined effect. This is also one of the causes of why you become thirst after having a dessert.
These are some of the possible factors of why you become thirsty after having a dessert or eating sweet foods, under normal circumstances. But it is also important to note that certain conditions too can affect your sugar levels in the body and influence thirst. For example, conditions like diabetes can affect blood sugar levels and cause more fluid imbalance. It can be one of the causes for you to become thirsty after having a dessert.
What to Do If You Become Thirsty After Having a Dessert?
Apart from becoming thirsty after having a dessert, some people also experience a feeling of tiredness. It can also be associated with the problem of frequent urine which is also very common after eating sweet foods, as the blood glucose levels rise. These could be some of the signs that the body finds it difficult to manage the sugar overload and produces symptoms like becoming thirsty after having a dessert, feeling tired and increased frequency of urination.
Sudden changes in blood sugar levels and fluid intake or difficulty in managing sugar overload can have harmful effects on your health. It is necessary to maintain healthy sugar levels and fluid balance. By taking necessary precautions and following certain dietary measures, you can help maintain normal blood sugar and fluid level to avoid becoming thirsty after having a dessert or eating sweet foods to a great extent.
It is necessary to avoid the critical medical conditions like diabetes, which can make you become thirsty after having a dessert more than others. You can do some of the following lifestyle modifications, in order to maintain your health.
- Regular exercise has great benefits, which also helps to regulate blood sugar. It helps in managing energy stores in a way, such that it can keep you energetic the whole day, without having sudden blood sugar changes. With regular exercises and physical activity, your problem of becoming excessively thirsty after eating sweet foods may gradually reduce and you can enjoy a healthier life.
- Another way to manage becoming thirsty after eating sweet foods is to make healthier foods choices. Eating foods with natural sugars and complex sugars can help avoid sudden changes in blood sugar levels. The presence of natural sugar in the body, can be treated very easily, can keep up the metabolism and provide adequate energy. The body can easily digest the natural forms of sugar in the body, thus the problem of becoming thirsty after eating sweet foods can be managed. Complex sugars are known to provide energy for longer period, without causing sudden spikes in blood sugar levels. Whole grains, cereals and other foods that contain natural sugars must be preferred over sugar laden processed foods.
Every human body reacts differently to various situations, which depends on the overall health condition. If you become thirsty after having a dessert or eating sweet foods, it may be normal to some extent, but if it causes more trouble or persists for long, it is better to seek medical advice. Also, people with a family history of diabetes and other metabolic disorders, need to be more careful about this and take necessary action to avoid making this a routine. Making dietary changes and doing regular exercises can protect you from becoming thirsty after eating sweets more often.