Have you ever felt like your eyes were carrying a burden? It could be because they’re strained. Eye strain can get quite uncomfortable. Some of the major symptoms of eye strain include redness or irritation, dry or watery eyes, double or blurred vision, headaches and pain in the neck, shoulders or back.
How Long Does Eye Strain Last?
An eye strain could go away in no time, or it could persist for several days. However, the duration of the eye strain mostly depends on the cause. Eye strain caused by the need for glasses will not go away until you get your eyes checked.
The actual eye strain may persist for a few minutes to hours after you stop putting pressure on your eyes. If you have a persistent discomfort no matter how much you stay away from digital devices, an eye examination is advisable. A muscle spasm (eye strain) caused by headache will usually resolve within 1-2 hours once you have stopped straining them by being hooked to a digital device.
Causes of Eye Strain
What leads to eye strain? Some of the common causes of eye strain include lack of adequate sleep, staring at digital devices for long stretches of time, reading in low light for a long time without giving eyes a rest, allergies, exposure to bright light or even incorrect vision prescription.
Eye strain can occur due to strained muscles, dry eyes or some underlying conditions affecting eyes. People using spectacles, those having diabetes or other auto-immune disorders and people with weak immunity may be affected more. Also, those who are regularly reading, using computers or other screens may be at greater risk of eye strain.
8 Home Remedies to Relieve Eye Strain
There’s always a remedy to any problem. In case of an eye strain, you do not have to look far for some comfort. Home remedies for eye strain can help you get rid of it.
Massage the Eyes
A good eye massage could be the solution you have been looking for when bogged down by an eye strain. All you need to do is massage your eyelids daily. This will not only improve blood circulation to the eyes, but will also relax the muscles around them. It will also help stimulate the tear glands, thereby preventing dry eyes. This is one of the best home remedies for eye strain.
Gently massage your eyelids and muscles above the eyebrows for close to 10 to 20 seconds. Gently massage your lower eyelid against the lower bone for around 10 to 20 seconds. Make it a point to also massage the temple and upper cheek bones. Continue this exercise two to three times daily.
Sunning is a great home remedy to relax strained and tired eyes. The sun and its energy are good for your eyes. Sunning will also allow your body to produce vitamin D. If you want to avoid tanning, proceed with sunning between 8 am and 10 am. Sun, with its health benefits, works as a great home remedy to relieve eye strain and improve your eye health.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Take your position in a place with a lot of sun
- Close your eyes and allow the sun to work its magic on your eyelids
- Slowly move your eyes up and down, right and left and clockwise and counter-clockwise
- Repeat for about 5 minutes
Palming is another effective home remedy to relax strained eyes, especially while reading or spending plenty of time in front of the computer or television screen. This is one of the old home remedies for eye strain. Palming creates a restful state for your eyes to ensure they do not tire easily.
How does it work?
- Sit in a comfortable position
- Warm your hands by rubbing them together vigorously
- Place your palms over the eyelids without applying pressure
- Relax for about 30 seconds
- Open your eyes slowly and look around.
- Repeat the process 3 to 5 times per sitting
Cold Water Remedy
Cold water is an effective home remedy for mild eye strain. It also helps improve blood circulation, relaxes tired muscles around the eyes, and reduces puffiness. Splash some cold water on your closed eyes. It will relax them almost immediately.
If you are looking for a concentrated remedy, dip a soft cloth in cold water and remove the extra moisture. Place the cloth on your closed eyelids for about a minute. Repeat if required.
A cold compress can help with puffiness and strained eyes. Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean cloth. Place it on the eyelids. The puffiness will subside in about 5 to 10 minutes after application.
The Warm Effect
A warm compress is another effective home remedy to relieve eye strain. It not only relaxes the muscles around your eyes, but reduces strain and soothes dry eyes. It can also help reduce the pain caused by an eye sty.
- Dip a soft cloth in warm water and remove the extra moisture
- Place the cloth on your eyelids while you lie down
- Relax and breathe slowly for about a minute
- Change the washcloth and continue the process for about 3-4 times
- This treatment can be followed one or two times daily
Rose Water Remedy
Rose water is known as a natural relaxer for strained and tired eyes. Not only does it have a soothing effect, it also rejuvenates the skin around the eyes in addition to treating dark circles and puffiness. This is one of the popularly used home remedy for eye strain is.
- Splash your eyes with cold water and dry with a towel
- Dip cotton two balls of cotton in rose water
- Place the wet cotton balls over the eyes
- Do this twice a day
Cucumber slices can rid you of an eye strain quickly. It helps reduce under-eye puffiness and dark circles as well. No wonder, most beauty treatments use this home remedy for eye strain, to give you a refreshed look.
- Cool a small cucumber in the refrigerator for about 20 to 30 minutes
- Cut into thick slices and place them on the eyes
- Follow this remedy 1 or 2 times daily
Honey can be used in different ways on the eyes to not only improve eyesight but also relax your tired and stained eye. The most popular way of using honey is preparing eye drops and then using it regularly on the eyes. For making eye drops with honey, the freshest form of honey is to be used. Honey is to be dissolved in the water in 1:2 ratio, i.e. 10gm of honey is to be mixed with 20gm of water. The water can then be used as eye drops, to apply on both the eyes at least 2-3 times daily.
You can even apply few drops of pure honey directly into your eye. At first, you are likely to experience a stinging pain in your eye on putting few drops of honey, it will be followed by excessive tearing and then a couple of minutes later your eyes will feel relaxed.
While eye strain may cause discomfort, it can be treated easily if these home remedies are followed. To avoid having to deal with eye strain, avoid spending too much time on your smartphone or laptop. Use the home remedies for eye strain to find relief, but if the problem still persists, seek medical advice.
- Mayo Clinic. (2021). Eye Strain. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eyestrain/symptoms-causes/syc-20372397
- All About Vision. (2021). Eye Strain: How to Prevent and Relieve It. https://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm
- American Optometric Association. (2021). Computer Vision Syndrome. https://www.aoa.org/healthy-eyes/eye-and-vision-conditions/computer-vision-syndrome
- Cleveland Clinic. (2021). Eye Strain: How to Prevent and Relieve It. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17745-eye-strain