Bacterial skin infection affecting the face is known as Facial Cellulitis. This could occur secondarily to nasal vestibulitis, upper respiratory infections, middle ear or dental infection and any problem with the lymphatic system. Symptoms of this condition are pain, swelling, fever, chills, warmth, redness, irritability and the tongue also becomes swollen, tender and warm. Antibiotics are the main line of treatment.
Facial Cellulitis can also occur as a complication of (untreated) Nasal Vestibulitis.
Causes of Facial Cellulitis
The main cause of facial cellulitis is usually the streptococcus and staphylococcus bacteria.
Risk Factors for Facial Cellulitis
- Untreated nasal vestibulitis.
- Lymphatic system disorders.
- Upper respiratory infections.
- Dental or middle ear infections.
Signs and Symptoms of Facial Cellulitis
- Generalized body aches.
- Appetite loss.
- Swelling on the affected side of the face. The swelling is more if the patient is a diabetic.
- Redness and warmth on the affected side of the face.
- Burning and itching on the affected side of the face.
- The tongue becomes warm, swollen and tender.
Investigations for Facial Cellulitis
Facial Cellulitis is diagnosed by conducting medical history & physical exam. Specific blood tests are also done for confirmation of infection.
Treatment of Facial Cellulitis
Antibiotics are the main line of treatment. The aim of facial cellulitis treatment is to alleviate the symptoms, to eradicate the infection and to prevent any recurrence. Antibiotics can be given orally or intravenously, it all depends on the severity of the condition. A combination of two different antibiotics can also be used. Antibiotics are given for extended period of time, as according to research, there is a chance of recurrence of the infection. So, it is very important that the patient finishes the entire course of antibiotics, even if the symptoms subside completely.
- Cellulitis Infection-Finger Felon: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment- Antibiotics, I and D
- Cellulitis: Causes, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Investigations, Treatment, Prevention
- How Long Does Cellulitis Last & 11 Home Remedies to Get Rid of it
- What is Eyelid Cellulitis or Preseptal Cellulitis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis
- Is Cellulitis Itchy?