What Is A Hair Serum?
Hair serum is a silicon-based product that is used for coating the surface of the hair. Unlike hair oil, it does not penetrate the hair cuticles or change the hair structure. It instead, smoothens the hair and enhances the curliness.(1)
Benefits Of Using Hair Serum
There are several ways in which the hair serum benefits hair.
Weak and damaged hair looks frizzy and dry. The hair may look like standing on end.
Silicon present in hair serums helps control this issue. It adds weight to the weak strands and makes them more substance. It coats the hair and locks in the natural curl pattern.
Some hair serum contains a hydrolyzed protein that can counteract the static charge and tame the frizz.
Hair serum has an anti-frizz effect that improves the smoothness of hair.
This effect is due to the coating action of silicone that gives the hair a sleek and polished appearance.
Smooth and sleek hair tangles less or has lesser knots.
Hair serums make the hair manageable and easier to comb and style.
Hair, if smooth, looks shinier and glossy.
Some types of silicones present in hair serum help reflect light and increase the overall shine and appearance.
Enhances Straightness Or Curls
The shape of the hair follicles determines the hair type, which can be straight, wavy, curly, or coily.
There are different hair serums for different hair types. For example, for curly hair, one can use a serum that defines the curls and make them bouncy. Similarly, for straight hair, a serum that enhances smoothness of hair can be used.
Protects Against Damage
As serum gives the hair a coating, it can protect the strands from damage.
There are different factors that can cause hair damage such as:
- Chemical processing that includes hair coloring, perming, or straightening
- Heat damage that can be caused by blow-drying, or heat styling tools
- Environment stress like sun exposure
- Mechanical stress that is caused due to repeated styling
Some serums contain heat protectants that can be applied to the hair before using any styling tool.
How To Use Hair Serum?
Before using any grooming product, it is important to find a perfect one for you. There are numerous brands with a variety of different ingredients that may benefit different hair types.
- Finding a perfect product that best suits your hair is always beneficial.
- To benefit the most from the hair serum it is important to apply it properly.
- Apply the initial application of hair serum to clean, damp hair.
- Take 1-2 drops of hair serum to the palm, rub the palms to warm the serum
- Apply it to your hair. Work the serum from the tip up to the middle of the strands. Spread the product evenly with the hands.
- Avoid applying the serum to the roots or taking it in large quantities as it may weigh down the hair, making them look greasy.
- Make sure you are gentle while applying the serum to the hair. Pulling the hair while application might damage the hair or lead to hair loss.
- After applying the serum use a wide-toothed comb to gently distribute the serum from the middle of the strands to the end.
- Style your hair.
- If required you can also use the serum after you have finished styling.
Hair serums benefit hair in different ways. It can help add shine, reduce frizz, and enhance the natural texture of the hair. It also protects the hair from damage.
As there are numerous hair serum types, it is important to look for the one that suits your hair type the best.